Hammock or ground?

I spent two years in SE Asia, sleeping in the jungle at night, a hammock is your friend. I used a jungle hammock with mosquito netting. Never woke up with a snake curled up in my fart sack...

A hammock is nearly the only way to go - for me. I sleep in one AT HOME, too....so you can say that I am used to them. Lots of advantages to a hammock, but in cold weather, they can be a challenge. Still, I've camped in one in heavy snow and cold temps....and I still preferred that to sleeping on the ground.

Like others, I create a shelter with a line stretched between two trees, about as high as I can reach (7' or so) , then a tarp over that, stretched tight and staked (though I have used guy lines instead of stakes, or even rocks - it depends on the terrain). Then, I hang my hammock under - with the straps (around the trees) at about 4' off the ground. The hammock should be fairly tight - you do NOT want a large sag when you are in the hammock - that WILL be uncomfortable (and is a common newbee mistake).

I hang the hammock higher (closer to the "roof") in cold weather, which creates a better wind break. I also stake the bottom edges of the tarp shelter closer together in the cold, making a narrower, steeper-roofed shelter, to fight the wind. In hot weather, I often do just the opposite - guy line the bottom edges a couple feet up neighboring trees, to create a very shallow roof and such that the bottom edges do not touch the ground. This allows breezes to pass through easily. Since your butt is up, off the ground, even a light breeze will have a nice cooling effect.

Of course, bedding materials will vary based on the season. In winter, a GOOD sleeping bag is a MUST. In summer, sometimes I use nothing at all.

I would say, go with that to which you are accustomed. If you want to use a hammock in the woods, try one at home first. Then, you can intelligently decide if they are for you. You said that you only have a few more days before your trip. That might be enough time to test a hammock - or might not. Obviously, your call.

"If a strong wind comes up in the middle of the night that would make for a heck of a ride."

I realize that you were probably kidding.....but actually, not really. Such a setup will actually only lightly sway, even in a 25 knot wind. In heavier winds, yes (quite a ride). But, in the average night time breeze in most places, it's not a problem.

Last edited:
A hammock all the way!!!! Those of you who say its uncomfortable are doing it wrong. A hammock, tarp, and some rope are all you need and it all packs up very small. I frequently take hiking trips for 3-5 days at a time with less than a 50lb loadout. I dont think I could accomplish this with a tent and besides, who wants to sleep on the ground anway? Check out this site http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php Lots of good information on how to correctly set up a hammock and what other gear you should check into.

Better to make a Lean to Shelter and sleep in a good bag than a hammock any night. Best way if your wanting to travel light. I've done it a couple of times in my life. Never regretted doing so. Just make sure your opening faces down wind if possible. Reason: Don't want the wind or a surprise rain blowing in on you and again if you choose to make a Fire after dark to help offer some radiant heat.

There are hammocks and then there are hammocks. I use a modified Hennessey that I added a zipper to the bug-netting and a different, easier to set up suspension system to.

It is much more comfortable for me than it is to sleep on the ground.

The setup weighs about the same as a one-man tent of good quality. It is easier to set up "dry" and take down "dry" in the rain, as you simply put up the tarp/fly first, then set up your hammock under it, out of the rain. Reverse the order to take it down when raining.

Taking down a tent in drizzling rain and packing it away, otoh, sucks.

Anyhow, comparing a moder hammock with an asymmetrical lie to the "regular" ones where you are bent up like a banana is like comparing a Lexus to a Yugo. Sure, they both have 4 wheels and are technically a car.....

Get a small dome tent. They are very light, easy to set up. They have a floor, The keep the rain and wind out. To make things comfortable to sleep on, use a lot of leaves on the tent floor where you are going to bed down. Clean up is easy. Take the tent down and turn it inside out and brush off. Then turn tent back to original, fold, and put back into its carrying case. Devout backpackers have been using these things for decades.

Tried a hammock in the Army,but i just couldn't get used to sleeping on my back.Sleeping bag,or two wool blankets under a shelter half and i was home.

Back