Hammerli Virginian 45Colt

Virginian

I am new to the firing line but have some info on the Hammerli Virginian that might be useful. Found out the original Swiss made Virgians all have a c-XXXX serial number. I bought my 5.5 barreled 45lc forty years ago and it has served me well. Put deer on the table, stopped a home invasion and took out some bad guys at a wild west theme park. had a hand break in it a while back and discovered that 1873 parts fit just fine. Had originally been told it was a 3rd gen colt copy. but is in fact a 1873 pattern copy. Mine is still in excellent condition and a top shooter. Have no idea what it is worth but know I bought it nib for $100. Colt rep offered to trade me two Colt SAA for it about 20 years ago and I turned him down. If you have one, "Keep it!" If you find one "Buy it!"

virginian45,

Welcome! Glad to see you here. The Single Action revolver is my greatest pleasure in the handgun field.

I have only handle one Hammerli/Virginian. My thought at the time was that the backstrap lacked the flare at the butt characteristic of all other Colt-type Single Actions. And the backstrap of the gun I did examine was nickel. or maybe chrome, plated.

(Going back to blacksheepone's photo in the OP does indicate the backstrap curves more rounded than the Colt -style.)

Bob Wright

virginian

You're right about the backstrap flair. I, personally, find it more comfortable to handl. The backstrap and guard are nickel steel. would like to see if someone could give me an idea of it's value, more for insurance reasons than then for a sale. My brother-in-law bought they only other one the shop had at the time I bought mine. Tried to get him to sell it to me for years. Fibnally, he called me one day to say it had been stolen. Hasn't been seen or heard from since. What a shame.

Different strokes....
I've always thought the Rugers were clunky.
My favorite six-gun was the J.P. Sauer that were sold under various import brands back in the 1970s.

Back