Hammerli Virginian 45Colt

blacksheepone

In my search for a SA clone or original I stumbled on a Hammerli Virginian chambered in 45 Colt with a 5½" barrel. Did some research and knew I had something special here and even more so that this was a rare gun and even more rare in my country. I got up to the gunstore where it was listed inspected this beauty and immediately paid for it even before I filed all the paperwork for the permit. (There's no 2nd amendment in Belgium, unfortunately so waiting period for paperwork is up to 3 months and more :mad: )
I've been shooting it almost every time I go the the range ever since I had the paperwork come in and I just love this gun. It's accurate (only ever as accurate as I am ;-) ) , it's well made, nicely finished and works perfect. It pairs up nicely with my Colt SAA 38-40 from 1907.
If you love Single actions I guarantee you'll like it. Sure is worth going for one if the rare occasion comes along you'll find one for sale....
They come in 2 calibers 45 Colt and 357 magnum and 3 barrel lenghts blued barrel, color case hardened frame, nickel backstrap and trigger guard and one piece European (it's Swiss made) walnut grips....
Don't confuse it with the Hammerli Virginian Dragoon in 44mag.
DSC03594.jpg

Last edited:
That is one that has been on my want list for awhile!

Glad you got your hands on one. I've only seen a very few of those. It is my understanding Hammerli also made some Dakotas for American use.

Bob Wright

Hi there Bob. You're right about the Dakota's. Hammerli did make some of those too.
I hope you'll find one soon. It's a real nice gun. Best find one manufactured in Switzerland they are of better quality and finish.
Hard to find one for sale though....
There's another for sale here in Belgium one chambered in 357 but right now I can't afford it... I just bought 3 more guns plus taxes to register and permits .... Wish I'd seen it sooner... They are very rare here in Europe since Hammerli made these for the US market . (for Interarms in Alexandria Virginia hence the name Virginian)

:)

Last edited:
Nice!! I bought my Dad a Virginian Dragoon in 1998 when I was stationed in California. The thing is absolutely beautiful! He rarely shoots it. But sometimes I get him to bring it out just so I can look at it.

There is a WORLD of difference between the Virginian and the Virginian Dragoon!

And, yes, the Hammerli made gun is the one on my want list.

Bob Wright

You guys and your tempting Single Actions. That Hammerli is beautiful but out if my price range. However I have been looking at a few Cimarron models :D

Yeah they are expensive... I spent 650 euro on mine and that must be about 1250 $....
That's a lot of money for a gun but it was money well spent....

You're right Siggy the Cimarrons are very good, look good and shoot good for less money. They are Uberti made I believe....
There are a few Uberti models on my wanted list too.... (S&W model3 clone maybe)
I love shooting single actions !

I have wanted a SAA Clone for some time now. But they are like 1911's there is a TON of the suckers to chose from. The only think I HAVE narrowed down is I want one chambered in one of the OLD rounds 45LC or 44-40.

Back in the '70's I had one of the Dakotas with the brass grip frame in .45 Colt. I couldn't stand the brass back then because it wasn't "authentic." Now I wish I had it back.

The US Interarms were made better than the German imports...better steel. Mine is a 1976 Don't Thread On Me blue 8" 44mag. model. Interarms had a fire that destroyed the factory. They had the swiss safe.

Last edited:
Sorry G.willikers. Don't know why I wrote that amount. Yes it's 800 dollars. You're right.
PS I don't overrate the Euro, in fact I believe it's a crappy currency. A pale attempt to imitate the US dollar ....
Anyhow my opinion on the euro might not be objective since I am pro USA.

Peggysue they are Swiss made and sorry to say they are of excellent quality. It's generally known that the Swiss made Virginians were (are) of better quality and finish. Swiss guys don't do half work...
Lots of US made things are great and excellent but still gotta admit the Swiss Hammerli Virginians are fine well made firearms ...;)

You guys and your tempting Single Actions. That Hammerli is beautiful but out if my price range. However I have been looking at a few Cimarron models

Siggy-06, I have two Cimarron Uberti made clones,an 1873 model and a Bisley model love both of them, as a matter of fact I like them better then my Ruger SA guns.

I've been deer hunting with my Cimarron Bisley, 5.5 inch barrel in 45 Colt caliber.

I have not shot my deer yet but did shoot at a coyote that I ranged at 107 yards.
I swear I must have burned hair on his back because the shot went just over his back, I showed to much front sight.

blacksheepone, very nice find, beautiful gun.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Well I have never seen the Hammerli made Virginian, but what I do know is the one I purchased for my father is The US made Virginian Dragoon with Liberty Forever on the butt. The thing is absolutely beautiful, the action is VERY slick, and the deep bluing on it will burn your retina's :D. If I ever see another one in the shape that one is in, its coming home with me, even if I have to sell the old lady!

Peggysue your article reads :
The first review of the Interarms Virginian was in the May 1973
issue of American Rifleman, and it was a favorable one at that. At a time when
numerous companies produced Peacekeeper style revolvers, the Hammerli
Virginian was one of the smoothest................................................................................................................................. and further on.... Although the Virginian was a very well built singleaction,only a couple of thousand were ever produced. They can still be found in the used market, but the ones I’ve seen go for $500 and up depending on their condition.
It confirms what I say that it is a very well built SAA clone and suited its purpose fine for shooting either 45Colt or 357mag
The Dragoon has a heavier frame only because it had to house the heavier 44 mag cartridge.
Let's say it's a drawn :)

Hunter Customs , thanks I realy love it. Great shooter. :D nice gun

deerslayer303 you make me want to look for a Virginian Dragoon now... ;-)

As to the Virginian Dragoon vs. the Ruger Super Blackhawk, there is no real comparison. The Ruger is more svelte, for lack of a better word, and with a much crisper action. The Dragoon always had a "mushy" feel to the trigger which seemed to give the gun an excessive lock time. And the grip frame always felt "fat" to me. The Dragoon was built sturdy, but just lacked the feel of the Blackhawks and the Sevilles of the era.

The fact that the Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhawks are still in production is tribute to its quality and acceptance by Single Action shooters.

Bob Wright

Back