Hammer or not?

On my semi autos, I dont mind if it's hammer or striker fired, as long as the trigger is good. On my revolvers, I prefer an exposed hammer for SA availability.

The way I see it, if it DOESN'T have a hammer, it better have a safety.

And I mean a safety lever, button, (push or slide) one that stays in the position you set it, until YOU decide to change it. I will accept a decocking lever, although I do not understand WHY anyone would make a decocking "safety", but they do.

I believe that a safety, when placed "on", should prevent the gun from firing, when the hand is in the shooting grip and the trigger is deliberately pulled, as well as when it is not.

I own a couple dozen pistols, roughly evenly split between revolvers and semi autos, with a couple of single shots as well.

The only centerfire ones I own that are striker fired are my P.08 Lugers, and my Remington XP-100, and they both have safeties!
There's a lot to be said for that.

Might I add that for a self defense handgun, it should be possible to disengage that safety quickly, using the shooting hand.

I guess I like hammers since I learned on a 1911 and currently am a disciple of DA/SA. I don't hate striker guns though and love the Glock design. I do wish there were more options with manual safeties with these much improved striker triggers. I would feel better about them if they had a 1911-type TS.

I do wish there were more options with manual safeties with these much improved striker triggers. I would feel better about them if they had a 1911-type TS.
I had one that did.

The problem was that unlike the 1911, the gun required a conscious effort to put the thumb on the safety and disengage it--the thumb did not naturally fall on the safety.

I think it likely that that possibility, and the goal of reducing parts count, led to the wide-spread use of Glock-type guns. Just pick it up and fire it.....

I failed to disengage the safety once in a training session. That was scary. I now carry a gun with a grip safety.

Hammer or stricker

Depends mostly on what feels right on the grip of your carry. Hammer means visual absurdness of action, while striker is an internal mechanism that does the same thing to the primer. If safety is the issue, the mechanics are either visual or faith in the mechanism. It all boils down with the manufacturer and the safety issue.

Example: I used the Ruger LC9 as CCW for a couple years, but found it to be too restricting on the trigger pull and reset travel. The LC9S corrected this "safety" issue with a striker fire option that reduced the trigger pull by 50% and reset by 35%... Same frame but better mechanics. The evolution of striker fire firearms with reputable names are changing the playing field.

However, my joy is still the Desert Eagle 1911 at the range with a superior trigger and hammer...but not my CCW.

Back