Hammer or not?

Vic1951

I like guns with hammers. I have exactly 16 handguns and only my HK VP9 has does not have a hammer. All other guns have hammers but are all DAO only. I grew up on 1911s and revolvers. I like the safety of holstering my gun with my thumb on the hammer so I can feel if it moves. I like the feel of a hammer when I fire rather than the sproing of a striker. I am also an oldtimer so I am used to guns with hammers. How about you? Do you prefer a hammer or not? Most of the younger generation was brought up on polymer striker fired guns and rarely shoot anything else.

I mostly shoot DA revolvers, so they've got to have hammers (my semi-autos are striker-fired).

As far as DAO, though, I can go either way. A strong case can be made for going DAO for certain applications. I like the classic look and versatility of a SA/DA revolver, but I very rarely shoot SA, and lightening the hammer by lobbing off the hammer can allow a revolver's action to be tuned a bit more aggressively, so all my match revolvers have bobbed hammers (see video in the link). One has to like shooting or be willing to shoot DA, of course. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmy5mkjpUNI

I have gotten past dogma.
Pull trigger (after disengaging safety, if provided) gun goes off. I'm happy.

My usual guns are SAO and DA/SA autos and DA/SA revolvers, with a sprinkling of tricky trigger autos and SAO sixguns.

My Kahr is striker fired, but it is full stroke DAO to shoot. I do wish it felt more like a revolver. It is so handy, both flat and comfortable in the hand, that I am willing to put up with its peculiarity.

I like my revolvers to be hammered for the DA/SA, but my pistols to have strikers for as close to SA as possible.

Even further out, I like double barrel shotguns to have exposed hammers too because it makes the opening so smooth and easy and not a pain to cock a pair of internal hammers.

I prefer a hammer on a revolver, but have owned a couple examples that were DAO (still have one).

On autos... it depends on the purpose.
DA striker, pre-loaded striker, hammer, DA/SA, DAO... just depends on what it's for, and how well it does the job.

I tend to prefer a hammer on a semi, I prefer the versatility. But I have had and will again have guns without them.

The same is true of revolvers regarding the hammer. I've had dao revolvers but have never preferred them other than the Centennial version. I do a good deal of da shooting, most shot that way likely, but again the versatility.

tipoc

I really enjoy looking at mechanical things and prefer a hammer. There is no better sound than a SAO hammer being pulled back.

Anything with a smooth trigger pull is fine with me. I prefer my Glock trigger over the hammer on my CZ 75 b, but prefer my 1911's over the Glock.

I really couldn't care less as long as it works well. The smoother ther better and the lighter the better until you get to 2 lbs trigger pulls then that's too light.

I have two striker-fired pistols, both SIG P320s. The rest of my handguns (10) are all hammer-fired and include a double action revolver, two DAO auto-loaders, two single action 1911s, and five DA/SA auto-loaders.

From a safety standpoint, I do tend to favor hammer-fired pistols since the hammer can be ridden with the thumb to assure no foreign object can depress the trigger unnoticed while holstering. Hammer-fired pistols also have second strike capability, which the majority of striker-action pistols do not.

I like guns with hammers. ... I like the safety of holstering my gun with my thumb on the hammer so I can feel if it moves. I like the feel of a hammer when I fire rather than the sproing of a striker. I am also an oldtimer so I am used to guns with hammers. How about you? Do you prefer a hammer or not?

Does not matter to me. Reliability is more important. Last couple years' purchases have been evenly spit.

Most of the younger generation was brought up on polymer striker fired guns and rarely shoot anything else.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about what a striker fired vs. hammer fired system does for you, based on the sort of questions I see people ask.

I enjoy both and have both in my collection. For some reason, I'm not too bothered switching between guns; I enjoy the striker fire but to be honest, I lean more to single/double action.

Laura

Yes, I like 1911's ...and guns with hammers.../ I have no use for stryker fired guns ( but mostly its the triggers in them that aggravate me ).

My primary carry gun is - and will continue to be - a Wilson Combat 5" all stainless ( Protector model ) in 9mm... / until about 2 years ago, my primary carry gun was a Wilson Combat CQB model, a 5" gun, in .45 acp ....

but everyone should buy, shoot or carry whatever they like ...

Most of the younger generation was brought up on polymer striker fired guns and rarely shoot anything else.
I don't know...
It may seem that way in some parts of the country, based on what people see being fired at the range.
It probably also has a lot to do with what you view as the "younger generation".

It's not really fitting for most of my friends.
I was born in what is now a dead zone - from about '79 to '84 - commonly referred to in other parts of the world (and, rarely, here) as the "lost generation" (not to be confused with the WWI Lost Generation), because we are too young for many Gen X influences, but old enough to have grown before being heavily-influenced by the Gen Y/Millennial technology saturation.
But, of course, most of our peers fall into any of the above.

Eliminating myself and fellow enthusiasts, I'd average things out and say my average gun-owning friend within my age group has:
A Glock, S&W M&P, or Springfield XD.
A 1911 or similar.
A .22 pistol. (Primarily Ruger, S&W, Browning, or Walther [:eek:].)

For every 6-7 individuals, there's some one with an additional "video game" or "movie" gun, such as a Desert Eagle "point-five-oh", Python, "Dirty Harry" (S&W 29), or "Baller" .45 (AMT Hardballer - as featured in the Hitman video game series).

I can't think of a single one that owns a revolver, that doesn't fit into the 'enthusiast' category (excluding the Pythons and "Dirty Harrys").

But...
Even though most of them bought their striker-fired pistols first, and it would be easy to argue that nostalgia and movies have really helped get the 1911s into their hands... Nearly every one of them loves and fires the 1911 or "1911" just as much (if not more).

When I read some of the opinions and tastes and rationales on these pages... sometimes I wonder if I'm the odd guy or if I am really quite average. I'll try to sum it up succinctly:

1) handguns are an absolute life long PASSION to me. Some are "tools", yes, but I am a handgunner because I totally love them, I ponder them, I have seemingly endless love for them and get pure joy from them

2) I don't care for tupperware (polymer, striker fire) guns. They seem to lack soul, I find almost all of them hideous to look at with bland features and a fake feel and just... no passion for them at all.

3) ^totally believe that with all my heart! HOWEVER, they are the best for the carry/defense role and for that reason, I own and carry them exclusively! 7 years carrying a Glock, nearly 3 now on a Walther PPQ. I shoot these two very well and absolutely want to carry them and have no desire to carry the OTHER guns that I totally love and dream about

4) the guns I love most almost always have hammers and they can be DA/SA or SA but I am only ever going to shoot them SA, and a DAO hammer equipped pistol is just not for me. Fine for carry I bet... except I only carry tupperware. Heartless, soulless tupperware.

I prefer hammered guns over strikers, if I have a choice. I have several striker guns that work ok, but I have no desire for Glocks, XD's, M&P's, etc. The striker guns I do own are all on the "budget side". I have a Canik TP9V2 that I really like, a pair of Taurus PT111 G2's, and an FNH FNS-40 that will soon be gone, I bought it simply because it was so cheap. It's a decent gun, but I'm getting out of the .40, and will be sticking with 9mm and .45 calibers.

What I'm going to get after I sell the FNS-40 is probably a SIG P226 9mm DAK. I really like my new to me P220 DAK police trade in. I really wonder what they traded them in for, as mine and a friend's look almost brand new, and shoot great.

Back