hammer or hammerless

snub nose revolver....do you prefer the hammer or hammerless models?...and why?

• hammer

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • concealed hammer

Votes: 33 51.6%

• Total voters
My alternate carry (from a .45) is a Model 60. I like the availability of a single action option. More than than, since I carry strong side IWB, I con sider the hammer snag issue a non-issue. YMMV

Randy

Although I have had both types, my subjective experience indicates that the DA shooting with a 2" is pretty much equivalent to SA as far as accuracy goes.

I had pared my collection down to Centennial models of various flavors but this Scandium 360 (Chief's Special) happened my way in an offer I could not refuse.

There is another reason I prefer the hammerless, but it is subjective also: When I examine my Centennial against the hammer model snub, the side plate is held on all sides on the hammerless where on the hammer model the sideplate is unsupported at the top side where the hammer comes thru.

So besides the non-snag, cleaner sealed action of the hammerless, I believe it is also a bit stronger with the fully enclosed top side of the frame. YMMV

I also like the S.A. option. With my model 49 you get the best of both worlds. My Speed Six is carried strong side on the belt. No snagging problems so far.

The Hammer

I like the Hammer ;) I like the SA option and snagging has never been a problem. I've never carried one in my pocket, a small vest pocket auto goes there :) I like ALL the controls at my fingers. I've never owned a hammerless model :rolleyes:

KISS

For a last-ditch, point defense (:D) backup, I prefer the fully concealed hammer .357 (S&W 640). I'm aware that the likelihood of snags or getting clothing caught between the hammer and frame is probably pretty minimal, but if I'm pulling this gun at all, something has already gone pretty far awry- no use giving Mr. Murphy more things to play with. ;)

Mike

Hammerless and in the front pocket. The hammer may very well snag on something in a high stress situation and I see no need at all for a hammer in a belly gun. Besides, all sorts of stuff can get down in there in a pocket gun with a hammer model I think.

Carry 357 mag. Ruger doesn't offer concealed hammer.

I don't want a Sissy&Wussy, as I prefer the brute strength and durability of the ruger. I carry and practice with "full house" 357mag loads exclusively, no 38 spec.

I bought a magnum to shoot magnum loads.

my 2 cents.

Oh! You brute you! Personally I think the guys that need to carry all that power are trying to make up for something! :D Those of us "walking bowlegged" are fine with a VERY effective, lightweight .38 with HPs! I'm carrying too much "pickle" weight already in my pocket! :D

concealed hammer just like my smith 642

1. a well practiced DA trigger pull is just as accurate as SA out to at least 50yds...the only reason i shoot my j-frame beyond that is to win money:D

2. restricts dirt entering the action more than shouded or bobbed hammer

3. allows higher grip on backstrap (also higher) for less muzzel rise and faster follow-up shots

Luby's

I love my snub but long distance double action fire for accuracy is questionable. That is why I like the body guard with the snag free profile and the capability of single action fire as needed. I did consider the mdl 642 with its dao and fully protected enclosed design but after reviewing the TX Luby cafe shooting, I wanted something that could give me an advantage for an across the room distance shot should I ever find myself in one of those "it will never happen" situtations.

Hammerless....442...no need for a hammer on a belly gun. Love my sissy and wussy...wouldn't trade it for 10 overweight, clanky sounding rugers with enough writing on the frame and barrel to read on a long trip.....;)

contender4040 - i never looked into the distances involved in the luby's shooting, is the place larger than most eateries

during regular qualifications (i try to shoot it once a year with my BUG) we go out to 25 yards. i usually have better luck with head shots (smaller aiming area) from that distance...not recomemnded for RL with a moving target, but works well in a static situation.

it's all a matter of trigger control and sight alignment...we used to shoot 24rds from our 4" "leg guns" from 50yds during competition...it does take a lot of trigger time to keep them all in the 10-ring :p

If it's a Smith & Wesson J-frame...hammerless Centennial model.

Colt D-frame, Ruger SP-101, large frame snubby, etc....exposed hammer.

- Anthony

My carry J-frame is a 940, hammerless of course!
I have no need to fire a J-frame in the single-action mode, others apparently do.

On any revolver I prefer a hammer. I wouldn't own one without a hammer. The reason for this is simple. I never carry a gun and it's hard to cock the hammer on a gun with a shrouded hammer...

Take care

With or without hammer. Proper pocket holster will preclude snags and strange things getting into the gun. Even in a purse, gun should be in either a dedicated compartment or an affixed holster.

Proper holster also insures that gun will be in proper position for draw when needed.

Sam

Hammerless for 2 reasons-reliability, nothing to snag or fill up with pocket crud.

And maybe i'm weird, but-especially under pressure- i shoot a revolver better DA than i do SA.

Back