hammer or hammerless

snub nose revolver....do you prefer the hammer or hammerless models?...and why?

• hammer

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • concealed hammer

Votes: 33 51.6%

• Total voters
Hammer vs hammerless

My personal carry is a S&W 357 with shrouded hammer. Why? The hammer won't snag on clothing but I can fire at least the first and most important shot in single action mode. For me the lighter trigger pull with cocked hammer may make the difference between hitting the target or not. I want to have the choice!
Herb

Hammerless (for a concealed weapon).

Won't get caught on clothing if I draw...
Nothing (like fabric) will interfere with the hammer strike.
Also, hammer can't be accidentally pulled back during holstering, etc.

Next to my bed I have a revolver WITH a hammer. (I like having the choice if I am not going to conceal.)

The carry gun (Taurus 650) has a reasonably light trigger pull.
The bedside gun (FIE Titan Tiger) has such a stiff trigger that you really NEED a hammer.

I know that accuracy suffers if you don't cock the hammer first but then if you need to shoot several shots in succession doesn't pulling the hammer back each time result in longer target acquisition times? -FWIW

Hammer vs hammerless

I own and use all three- The Centennial, the Bodyguard, and the regular Model 60 with hammer. Each situation demands a different approach!
Herb

I want a hammer on mine. I like the looks better and I want the option of SA firing. Snaging on clothes? I know it is a precieved problem but I have never has any trouble with it.

I just bought a S&W M38 shrouded hammer.
I like the .240 shrouded hammer gives you both options. Would not buy a (hammer)for concealed carry.

Hammer vs hammerless

If I had to choose one of the J frames I would select the 357 shrouded hammer- gives the option of single action fire vs double action
Herb

I use the Bodyguard Airweight, Model 638.

I like the no-snag, shrouded hammer, the ability to fire a single-action shot, and the ability to safely function check the loaded revolver.

shrouded v. concealed

I bought my 649 before S&W started making the Centennials and I had it converted to DAO because I think that that is the proper way to shoot a combat revolver.

If I was going to buy one now, I'd probably opt for the Centennial with the internal hammer.

Easy - HAMMERLESS :) Then when I had the trigger done, I changed it to DAO w/ a light, crisp & quite short pull. Nothing like a good DA trigger done by someone who knew what he was doing!

Proper pocket holster should preclude any hammer snagging.

Pocket gun without holster picks up all sorts of unwanted goodies.

Sam

I prefer the "hammerless" Centennials...442 in my case...I make all my practice DA, IF I NEED it I'll have to fire DA, so why complicate things??? Keep It Simple, Stupid!!!...love that acronym...a principle to live--and SURVIVE--by....mikey357

hammer less

Wife carries a s&w hammerless, one of them light weight models, says it's easier to pull out of her purse with all the junk not catching on it..go figure...me its got to have a hammer

Doesn't really matter to me unless I plan on carrying in a pocket holster - then I'd go hammerless. But I don't like pocket holsters anyway.

Personal carry in a revolver-

is a vintage Smith & Wesson model 60, in .38 Special.
Yes, it's intact; complete with the hammer and original
walnut grip's. Why? Sex appeal; as the hammerless
revolver's look ugly to me.:D :cool:

The Best Of the Season To All,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Got a 296Ti Centennial.

I like the idea of a gun that can be fired from inside my purse's carry compartment if necessary.

Still, in a CCW gun, the ability to shoot single action is a little pointless to me.

I have nice, tuned DA triggers on all my wheelguns. With the exception of the scoped 586, I can't remember the last time I thumbed the hammer back for a shot.

Back