Hammer or hammerless?

Hawg, one of my favorite things to do is bust those little orange shotgun clays on a dirt bank at 100 yards with my snubby revolvers. No, I am not claiming to be Jerry Miculek or Bob Munden. I don't hit them every time, maybe once in 5 - 8 shots, but I can routinely scare hell out of them, just barely missing them by an inch or two. If that were a man standing out there he would be in DEEP doo-doo.

I can't tell people on here my shooting "secrets" short of writing a book, but it has to do with keeping both eyes open, letting the sights wander and timing your squeeze so the shot breaks just as the sight picture intersects the target.
If you try to hold a rock steady sight picture, all you will do is start shaking like a dog tying to pass a peach seed. :eek:

Why do I do that? Oh, just 'cause. And it is fun.
That's some mighty fine shootin there.

I've always been a hammer guy. It gives you both a SA and DA gun and from a CCW standpoint, I've found that having a hammer isn't a barrier to carry.

The D/A only is a defensive piece, not made for shooting bullseye at 25 or 50 yards. I carry S&W 642s, fair out to about 15 yards, still on the IDPA target at 25 but not in the zero ring. With a 686 or 625 I can stay in the ring at 25, stay on the heat most of the time. I pocket carry, it you carry in a holster the exposed hammer gun should be good. The Kimber gun should be a lot easier to shoot double action, being heavier and longer than the 642 gun. I can't see the Kimber as a pocket gun, I would prolly buy the one with the exposed hammer.

That's some mighty fine shootin there.
Well, it is something I have worked on for 55+ years. I grew up hunting jack rabbits in Montana with a 22 single action. Ever shoot at a running jack rabbit? Seldom at under 50 yards? Hoppity-hoppity-hoppity. Timing was everything. There was a 50-cent per head bounty on them. 50 cents in 1955 was like $5.00 now. Canadian cold fronts used to drive them down into Montana by the tens of thousands, and they would literally destroy hay stacks. It was ALLways below freezing and I used to fill up 50-gallon oil drums with them, and when I had five drums full, take them in and collect a pretty fat "pay check" for a kid.

Jimku,
I was just doing some DA dry firing with my Kimber K6, and a question just popped into my head wondering if you can dry fire DA and keep the sights aligned?

Now, I'm not saying YOU HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO SHOOT DA!LOL, just wondering if you can keep the sights aligned while dry firing?

Jimku,
I was just doing some DA dry firing with my Kimber K6, and a question just popped into my head wondering if you can dry fire DA and keep the sights aligned?

Now, I'm not saying YOU HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO SHOOT DA!LOL, just wondering if you can keep the sights aligned while dry firing?
The answer is "No". If I could, I could actually hit something with the gun DA..

I grew up in NoDak in the 60’s and shot more than a few jackrabbits. The trick is be patient, when you kick one up just wait. They will always circle around about 75-100 yds out and stop and stand up, that’s when you take the shot. Not a lot of jackrabbits or jackalopes left anymore, too many coyotes.

In a defensive revolver, a spur on the hammer makes little sense. Those who disagree will often state that it is necessary for that rare and unlikely "longer shot". They seem to not ever explain a realistic scenario where cocking the hammer on a double action is a wise or logical thing to do. If an attacker is not very close and you feel that you need to cock the hammer, you have the opportunity to retreat and not be involved at all and will have avoided having to explain why you felt threatened by someone who was not "all up in your face" (where almost all attacks happen).
And ... if someone opens fire on you from 50 yards away with an AK47? Never mind how unlikely that might be. What if!

What if??

If you want to discuss "what to do, if...." tactical situations, we have a forum for that. Go there and explore the idea, but do stay within the forum rules.

Generally speaking, I like having the hammer. If there is any possibility that it might be a general-purpose or field gun, I want the hammer.

Conversely, for a pocket gun I would prefer hammerless. I have a couple of hammerless models specifically for this purpose.

All that being said - people got by fine with hammers for decades upon decades. I don't think the issue is as big a deal as some people make it out to be.

I prefer a hammer in a snubby but I can certainly recognize the benefits of not having to worry about my hammer catching on clothing and such.

And ... if someone opens fire on you from 50 yards away with an AK47? Never mind how unlikely that might be. What if!
Probably be one of the dumbest moves they ever made.... ;) .

& that would be shooting D/A to boot.

I happen to be one of those that shoots D/A better than S/A.

It's all what you know best I guess.

I’m kind of in the same boat. I shoot DA and SA about the same. I used to suck at DA but after a ton of dryfiring and a lot of rounds down range and good trigger work on my guns I actually got pretty good at it. I don’t do much long range stuff any more but out to 12 yds it’s pretty easy to empty a cylinder as fast as I can pull the trigger and keep all shots in a 5” circle or less depending on the yardage, at 7yds it’s about a 3” circle. Meets my needs as a self defense weapon and that’s pretty much all I need a handgun for. I have plenty of rifles for longer ranges and a couple of levers for pistol calibers at longer ranges.

In my very specific situation, old, pocket carry. Drawing a gun will likely be a sheer act of desperation where I have failed in situational awareness, have been kept from or neglected to retreat, I cannot perceive of a gun with a hammer spur being a desirable thing. A likely scenario is finding myself lying in a parking lot having already been attacked and knocked down. But then, I don't fantasize about using my carry gun for any other purpose than a last-ditch effort to keep from being victimized. I do not perceive myself ever being in the position of doing any heroic, "cowboy" things...I will leave that to others.

I happen to be one of those that shoots D/A better than S/A.
You must be a happy freak of nature. Wish I was. But at anything past 7 yards I would be better off throwing my gun at him than shooting at him DA. Well, that might be a slight exaggeration, but only slight ... with my 5-shot snubby it would likely be one in each arm, one in each leg, and if lucky one in the crotch.

You must be a happy freak of nature. Wish I was.
Shooting D/A well is - therputic. It has a calming effect. Once you dial into doing it, you just sort of go with the flow.

Shooting D/A well is - therputic. It has a calming effect. Once you dial into doing it, you just sort of go with the flow.
For me, shooting DA means thousands of rounds down-range and not a mark on the target. :eek:

You must be a happy freak of nature. Wish I was. But at anything past 7 yards I would be better off throwing my gun at him than shooting at him DA. Well, that might be a slight exaggeration, but only slight ... with my 5-shot snubby it would likely be one in each arm, one in each leg, and if lucky one in the crotch.
In your imagined self-defence scenario, do you see yourself firing at an adversary further than 21 feet away?

Back