Hammer mounted firing pins?

Chainsaw.

Im on the hunt for a 586, I found a no dash with the hammer mounted firing pin which got me wondering. Seems the Smith went to a full transfer bar about '98? Yes? If thats is correct what "dash" series was that? Any reason for or against?

Oh the no dash, it was a worn out peice of poo that was far to expensive.

All my S&W revolvers Have firing pin in proper position . If not they don't come home .Same with my only old SA Ruger .

Seems the Smith went to a full transfer bar about '98? Yes?
No. Even when they went to a frame mounted firing pin (on some models?), there was no "transfer bar". They still had that S&W hammer block.

Howdy

This is a transfer bar. Its purpose is to transfer the mechanical energy of the hammer to the frame mounted firing pin.

transferbarwitharrow_zpsfb95a56c.jpg

This is a hammer block. It is not a transfer bar. It performs the opposite function of a transfer bar. It prevents the hammer from falling all the way to fire a cartridge, no matter where the firing pin is located. Smith and Wesson has never used transfer bars.

Model%2010-5%2002%20with%20arrow%20to%20Hammer%20Block_zps2nvfcgpg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification guys, especially Driftwood.

So, now that thats cleared up, was there a sort of set date/dash number where they went to the hammer blocker?

So, now that thats cleared up, was there a sort of set date/dash number where they went to the hammer blocker?

All Smiths made after WWII have the current hammer block safety.

Howdy Again

Smith and Wesson has been installing hammer blocks in their revolvers for a long, long time. Long before the company changed over to the model numbering system with dash numbers in 1957.

This is an early 38 Military and Police revolver and it did not have a hammer block. I'm pretty sure this one left the factory in 1908.

38MampPmechanism_zps8ed50eb2.jpg

This is a 38 M&P Target Model from 1917 and it has the first style of hammer block. The hammer block is pressed into a slot in the side plate and is actuated by a slanted face on the hand.

MP%20Target%20Model%20and%20Side%20Plate_zpsqaxxila1.jpg

This 38 M&P left the factory in 1939. It has the second type of hammer block, also pressed into a slot on the side plate and actuated by a ramp on the hand.

MampP%20Round%20Butt%20%20and%20Side%20Plate_zpsokrlv3pb.jpg

This is the current style of hammer block that S&W still installs in all their revolvers. This style of hammer block was first used in 1944, after a ship board accident with one of the older style hammer blocks. This particular Model 10-5 left the factory in 1964.

Model%2010-5%2001_zpspaoykwvq.jpg

Howdy Again

Regarding changeover from hammer mounted firing pins to frame mounted firing pins, it appears this happened with most models around 1997-1998. No generalization can be made about dash numbers, as different models were at different dash levels when this happened.

The Model 586 went to a frame mounted firing pin in 1997 with the Model 586-6.

Jim Watson said:
"Proper position" of firing pin on all Ruger revolvers is in the frame.
There are many who would disagree with you. My Ruger revolvers have the transfer bar, but if an early one with the firing pin on the hammer "where it belongs" ( :) ) were to follow me home, ain't no way I'd send it to Ruger to be bastardized.

If you can show a picture of a Ruger revolver with firing pin on the hammer, I will be much surprised. The "three screw" sans transfer bar in the next room sure doesn't have one.

Jim Watson said:
If you can show a picture of a Ruger revolver with firing pin on the hammer, I will be much surprised. The "three screw" sans transfer bar in the next room sure doesn't have one.
My bad. I always thought they did. That's what I get for not owning one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
"Proper position" of firing pin on all Ruger revolvers is in the frame.

There are many who would disagree with you. My Ruger revolvers have the transfer bar, but if an early one with the firing pin on the hammer "where it belongs" ( ) were to follow me home, ain't no way I'd send it to Ruger to be bastardized.

Jim is correct. All, and I mean All firing pins of Ruger revolvers are in the frame. I too would like a photo of one on the hammer.

Howdy Again

Back when Ruger designed his first single action revolvers, he made a few changes over the original Colt design. He changed all the old leaf springs over to coil springs. He simplified the design of the bolt. And he put the spring loaded firing pin in the frame.

This Three Screw Flat Top 44 Magnum was made in 1958, just a few years after the first Ruger Single Six came out. As you can see, there is no firing pin in the hammer, it is mounted in the frame. You can even see the spot on the hammer where it has been whacking the firing pin over the years.

Hammer%20No%20Firing%20Pin_zpsrrzfenhq.jpg

Frame%20Mounted%20Firing%20Pin_zpshci353im.jpg

Neither does my flatgate Single Six

Back