Hammer-fired vs Striker-fired

I prefer hammer fired but probably don't have any logical teasons. It's what I'm used to, so I am more comfortable with it. I have a few striker fired pistols. They work just fine, but I prefer the look and feel of hammer fired.

Difference between a hammer gun and a striker gun is - one is elegant & the other is chunky and ugly.....

ok, in your opinion, which one is which????

I've always found the P.08 Luger and the Remington XP-100 to be elegant. Sweeping curves and rounded contours, and not at all chunky. Both are striker fired.

Not all striker fired pistols look like Austrian combat Tupperware. :D:rolleyes:

Many S&W fans like the hammer fired revolvers, which were discontinued around 2000ish. I can't tell the difference as for shooting. I have read atleast one post, saying there was issues, that we forgot about, with old style.

In theory though I would think you would have to keep it cleaner, and that could be an issue.

News they were discontinued or news fans like them? Go read a discussion on which dashes are best. First MIM comes up, then this comes up pretty quick.

Unless I am saying this wrong. Many like the firing pin on the hammer, and not in the frame.

You're saying it wrong. Not much, but just enough to be confusing.

What you're talking about is hammer mounted vs. frame mounted firing pins, right??

BOTH TYPES are "hammer fired".

S&W did NOT discontinue hammer fired revolvers, (at any point in time), what was discontinued was hammer mounted firing pins.

There is a difference.

I explained it poorly. But Smithophiles prefer it on the hammer, not in the frame.

Wouldn't have needed so much detail on smith site.

Last edited:
I prefer a hammer mounted firing pin, pinned barrel, recessed chambers in magums, the "square" cylinder latch and NO HOLE IN THE FRAME for a lock.

But, that's just me, and the reason I prefer those features is continuity with the past.

Wouldn't have needed so much detail on smith site.
Perhaps not, but you're not there, you're in GENERAL HANDGUNS on TFL.

Many S&W fans like the hammer fired revolvers, which were discontinued around 2000ish.

I think if you had posted this exact sentence on a "smith site" you would get at least as much flak there as you did here, and likely more. :D

Not all striker fired pistols look like Austrian combat Tupperware.
True enough but funny how the things that make it to what most people carry around really do resemble that Austrian fare :D.

I never could warm up to a striker fired anything......it had a lot to do with an unfortunate unexpected discharge one day that nearly hit a waterbed in a downstairs bedroom :eek:

The irony is that, the one of the two guns (Shield)I settled on for carry is a striker gun....go figure....;).

It should do to hammer mass.

but honestly how many of us could tell the difference?
I know Im a damn long ways off from being able to notice.

Would think that hammer guns may have slower lock time than a striker gun?

That would be the amount of time it takes for the tripping of the guns sear (or similar in a striker) till ignition of the powder.

I've heard this argument. I've also read where somewhere, someone had timed a number of both and determined that some striker fired guns do have a faster lock time. However in both cases the lock times were faster than any human could notice in semi auto pistols. Far faster than a person could pull the trigger.

It may vary as well from gun to gun and model to model. It would take a considerable number of various gun to test to draw even a general conclusion. And once you do this whatta ya got?

So if "in general" it's true in practice it has no practical difference.

tipoc

Last edited:
Buzzard Bait: Would think that hammer guns may have slower lock time than a striker gun?

By chance this occurred to me as I tried my new "Wunderhammer" this morning. The process can't be as slow as it feels. The thing shot well enough anyway, but it reminded me of a Ruger SBH with one leg of the hammer spring (or is it trigger spring :confused:) removed. It's like you hear the hammer swooshing through the air. Small complaint though.

By chance this occurred to me as I tried my new "Wunderhammer" this morning. The process can't be as slow as it feels. The thing shot well enough anyway, but it reminded me of a Ruger SBH with one leg of the hammer spring (or is it trigger spring ) removed. It's like you hear the hammer swooshing through the air. Small complaint though.

You may want to consult a doctor for your symptoms of preternatural sensitivity. Such physical hyper tenderness cannot be healthy. :D

tipoc

I've no objection to the striker fired concept, having three Glocks myself.

But I think my preference is for the superior control of the hammer-fired pistol.

You may want to consult a doctor for your symptoms of preternatural sensitivity. Such physical hyper tenderness cannot be healthy. :D

Yes, it is quite a burden. :rolleyes: :D

If you've ever fired a Ruger SBH though, you'll know just how lazy a hammerfall can be. The new autoloader...well that may be more of a perception issue. Not noticeable when live firing but dry firing, just a lot more noise and resonance giving the impression of a slow motion auto wreck.

Not a real problem in a service pistol though.

I think my affinity for the hammer stems from my 1st real firearm. A break action single shot 20gauge NEF pardner.
I've been gently lowering a hammer on live rounds since I was 12.

tallball And just to show how much it matters...

My Ruger SBH is my most accurate centerfire handgun.

Yeah, in the context of "normal" handgun use, not a real issue. Such locktime would be atrocious in a modern rifle though.

44 AMP

Clearly then, flintlocks are not for you!

Somehow I've never fired a single BP round. I stand in awe of those who can do good shooting with a flintlock in particular.

Back