H335

BL-C(2) works fine in 223, but I get better accuracy with H-335 in my rifles. I bought the BL-C(2) during the last powder shortage, or the one before that.

A nephew wanted to load for his AR a year or so ago, so we used the BL-C(2) behind 63 gr Sierra SMPbullets and got excellent accuracy at mid range loads. So maybe your rifle will love it like his did.

BL-C(2) is canister-grade Western Cannon (WC) 846, a powder first formulated for loading 303 British for the allies in WWII. It turned out to be good in M80 ball (7.62 NATO with 9.5-gram (146.6-grain) bullet) and was kept alive for that. When they were looking for a spherical propellant for M193 ball for the AR, they found WC846 a bit too slow for the 55-grain bullet, so they got some that was made faster burning (same powder but with less surface deterrent concentration). Olin was uncomfortable supplying the same powder number at two different burn rates, so they gave the fast version the WC844 designation.

Despite being a bit slow for the 55-grain bullets in 223, BL-C(2) will shoot them. It just takes more charge weight and burns less completely. It will play nicely with heavier bullets like the 69s, though.

Back