h335 or win 748 for .223?

wjhenderson

I've been using IMR 3031 in my Savage bolt .223 using 55g V-max with mixed results. I just acquired 335 and w748 to try. Anyone have good results in .223 with either of these powders?

Never tried w748. Just got some h335. Tried it with some 75g Hornady match bullets with decent results but velocitie were about 100fps lower than i was looking for. Heard h335 works best with 55-65g bullets. Gonna test it with some 55s next outing.

I have personally found seating depth to be more critical in accuracy than powder. I will seat at factory length, then load 5-7 groups, each one seated 0.003 deeper. I have cut group sizes in half using this method.

Never tried w748. Just got some h335. Tried it with some 75g Hornady match bullets with decent results but velocitie were about 100fps lower than i was looking for. Heard h335 works best with 55-65g bullets. Gonna test it with some 55s next outing.

I have personally found seating depth to be more critical in accuracy than powder. I will seat at factory length, then load 5-7 groups, each one seated 0.003 deeper. I have cut group sizes in half using this method.
In my ladder tests, once I find a charge that shows promise, I will then tinker with the seating depth at that weight/charge. THANKS

I’ve used 335 almost exclusively in 223 with 55 gr bullets with good results. Less than max charge yields about 3050 FPS and good accuracy. I’ve recently begun trying CFE223 with 62 and 68 grain bullets. This is with a Rager American bolt action with a 22” 1 in 9 twist barrel.

W748 has usually given the best accuracy with 50-60 grain bullets in my .223s. Velocities were close to those using H335, as Hodgdon data suggests. It runs very well in my AR.

I would pick H335 on every day that ends with a y. Then twice on Sunday. It is my go to for 52 to 55 grain bullets. I full length resize, and seat to standard length as I run them in a bolt action, and an AR.

I’ve used 335 almost exclusively in 223 with 55 gr bullets with good results. Less than max charge yields about 3050 FPS and good accuracy. I’ve recently begun trying CFE223 with 62 and 68 grain bullets. This is with a Rager American bolt action with a 22” 1 in 9 twist barrel.

Out of my 16in ar, with 75g bullets, cfe223 got me up to 2587 at hornadys max.

Using cfe223 with 55g im loading at 27.0g (hornady listd max at 27.4g) and getting 2932fps, sd 16.54, es 41.

In my experience cfe223 is much more consistent velocity wise with magnum primers.

Last edited:
W748 is all I use in my .223 loads for AR’s and have been doing so for many years with excellent results. As a ball powder it meters really well. My typical range load is a 55 gr fmj over 25 gr of W748 and a CCI 400 primer. I do all the reloading for myself, my son and my two grandsons so this load has been tested in a multiple variety of AR pistols, carbines and rifles.

W748 gives ok, but not stellar accuracy for my wifes Savage 110 FP with the 52gr & 55gr MatchKings.
Has done much better with Alliant Varmint.
I haven't had the chance to test H335 yet.
Barrel is 24" with 1:9 twist.

Am using 748 for mid weight 223 in bolt and semi, and very pleased with it's accuracy/velocity. Like some other calibers am using, use of mag strength primers have aided accuracy. Rem 7's to be specific. Really like the ability to assemble quanity of rounds without weighing every charge.

Would suspect H335 to be similiar.

I have been having some great results with bl-c(2) and 75g bullets. Gonna test with some 55g bullets in the near future.

Using H335 for short range 200/300 service rifle XTC shooting since Varget is harder to meter…… chronographed 23.7 out of a 20” barrel with 77 and 80 gr SMK. 77 loaded to mag length and 80 gr loaded for single loading in my rifle with the best “jump.” Happy with results and may shoot the entire season with H335. Have been warned about temperature stability so I keep it cool. Good supply, reasonable cost….. FWIW

I haved used WC 844 which I believe is the canister grade of H335. Burns pretty clean in my AR I bought 16 lbs of it at gunshow 11 years ago @ $89.00 per 8lbs. Cant find it anymore, I do not load much of 223 for AR anymore to much brass prep.

Average Joe, I haven’t seen WC846 on the market in almost 7 years. I dont think they make it any more. I have 1 8lbs jug left and it does not like standard primers I have to use magnum primers to get consistent ignition if not its like shooting a flint lock… click… boom

I like W748 in my Kimber .223. Usually make tiny bug holes with just about any 45 to 55 gr. bullet I've tried. I decided one day to shoot a 10 round test just like they did in the old days when they shot ten rounds to judge a rifle's accuracy. The first nine rounds could be covered by a dime. I blew the group up to just very slightly cover by a nickel. I called that shot as off and high right and that's where it went. The load was 25.0 gr. W748, 55 gr. Winchester bullet, bras and WLR primer. That load also works quite well with a 45 bullet, maker unknown that I bought bulk at a gun show. My rifle is one of he early ones with I'm guessing a 1 in 12" twist as it won't shoot worth spit with anything heavier that 55 gr.
Paul B.

Average Joe, I haven’t seen WC846 on the market in almost 7 years. I dont think they make it any more. I have 1 8lbs jug left and it does not like standard primers I have to use magnum primers to get consistent ignition if not its like shooting a flint lock… click… boom
Really ? I bought 16 pounds of WC846 last summer at American Reloading, also Pat's has some on occasion. As far as using magnum primers, I've never used anything but standard rifle primers,( small rifle or large rifle,) made no difference.

That’s awesome you found some. I did notice more of delay with ignition on .308 and .30/06 vs .223 . It was the first 223 powder I ever used and it work pretty well. Not bad for a cheap jug of powder

Back