H&R Self Loader

In the next day or so I will sketch out what I was thinking and shoot a picture to your e-mail address. FWIW, in pulling mine down, I found the backplate detent was a piece of what looked like an old screw, so I made a replacement that works like it should.

Jim

gyvel
with only 34500 pistols made in 10 + yrs production they are hard to come by in any condition, but I am looking. If I find anything I will buy it!
Jim
My end plate detent was nothing more than a very short chunk of drill rod and the dia. was way to small.

As I think back on the 2 or 3 I have disassembled, I wonder if any of them had original detents. Certainly none looked like the ones I made, which were a nice slip fit and with stubs sized to fit the spring. Of course, I never looked closely at the one that went flying and is now probably under a paved parking lot that replaced the old building.

Jim

One might be able to find parts drawings, or the bolt face itself, at Wisner's. I know he has recorded and drawn a huge number of parts drawings for parts that are now hard to get. They may be able to make a new one, or have one they made in stock.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/about.htm

Last, if the side with the tab that is broken is a mirror image to the other, you may be able to weld that up, then use 1/2 its dimension for reference, and machine it, but I would say it will have to be heat treated, unless you make a complete part from something like 4150, or similar.

gyvel
with only 34500 pistols made in 10 + yrs production they are hard to come by in any condition, but I am looking. If I find anything I will buy it!
Jim

They're not as hard to come by as you might think. For some reason, they just aren't that popular, although I always thought they were pretty neat little guns.

One drawback, though it may be more theoretical than real, is the very small slide stop surface on the frame. I really can't imagine it shearing or breaking, but I like something a bit bigger and more robust when it comes to pieces of metal flying back toward my face. BTW, I found that ramp, in addition to its front being needed for feeding, could have been intended as a last ditch way of stopping the slide from coming off backward if the frame did break or shear.

Jim

Back