H&R Pardner Pump??

Creek Henry

Any of you have or use one? I am considering getting a youth model for my 10yo son. He went on his first dove hunt last week and used a single shot 20 with a 410 adapter.

For the price of a new single shot, I can get a Pardner 20ga and it will probably fit him better. But, if they are junk then I think I'll pass on it.

I have one in 12ga. They are not junk! A little heavy, all steel. A lot of the parts will interchange with 870 Reminigton.

I've had mine for 'bout 5yrs., put a lot of rounds through it. Shot a lot'a critters with it.

I am very pleased with mine, and if it matters, Remington owns the company now.

:cool:;):D

its the only shotgun I own, and even though I admittedly take very poor care of it, I haven't hade a malfunction yet. and I shoot NOTHING but buckshot. it is heavy as lead though, but worth its weight in gold(wish)

What is your rush to buy? This was his first dove hunt and he used an adaptor in a 20 gage single shot. I am a firm believer in kids of his age using a single shot period....just less things to go wrong. He can use what he has and keep learning and practicing safe gun handling and take out the adaptor first before you upgrade him to a pump. Does he really like hunting and is it something that he will continue.

My seven year old great nephew will be shotgunning soon enough and he will be using a H&R 12 gage Partner single shot that was handed down from his fathers step father and little Joey will be shooting the same way his father learned one shell at a time with maybe a backup shot held between his fingers as has been done for deckades. Since it will be a 12 gage I will be handloading them just like I did with his father who was dropping woodpeckers with ease when he was ten.

I walked to school 5 miles in the snow, uphill both ways, but I didn't want my kids or grandkids to have to do that.
I am a big opponent of single shots until you get into the high dollar trap guns. Most of them are poor handling, poorly dimensioned, and kick excessively for their gauge. A decent pump or semi in 20 gauge is usually much more pleasant to shoot and hit with and more likely to encourage them to continue wanting to keep shooting. If you are worried about safety, then just single load it. Safe gun handling is learned and it has much more than just the type of gun used involved.
I am not a big fan of the Pardner, but they seem to work fine. I'd look for a used 20 gauge 870 or 1100 with a youth stock myself. I bought a youth stock for my LT20 many years ago when my daughters were starting out, and with the 26" Skeet barrel it worked well, and it's probably gone on to 15 more guns and kids since then.

The HR single shot was a loaner. Also, neither of us shot it well. The only thing I liked about it was the exposed hammer which made it easy to tell if it was ready to fire or not. The gun just didn't swing well as it is butt heavy.

I will have to have him shoulder some guns to see what fits him I guess.

Oh, and yes he will be hunting more! We already do archery together pretty regularly so adding trap amd some hunting to the mix will be fun. He is slowly becoming an outdoorsman.

I have a Pardner pump. That is a GREAT shotgun. I love the thing. Yeah its heavy but that heft does well in soaking up some recoil. They are reliable, no malfunctions to date, and LOTs of shells through it.

Look into the availability of barrels and any accessories that you may need. If I recall correctly, it can be difficult to get a second barrel for a pardner and if there is one you have to send your gun to the factory to be fitted.

Yes, I believe there is also a way to rig up a spacer that will allow the use of Remington 870 barrels if you want to screw with that.

I have a PP. It's strongly built... heavy. Never any problem with it. Good for the price.

The components are made in China... if that makes a diff to you.

The Pardner Pump is a great shotgun value.

Here are the reasons why I believe it edges out the Remington 870 Express if you look at the features;

1. Steel Receiver.
2. Metal Trigger Guard.
3. Heavy Walled Remington Manufactured Barrel.
4. Positive Cross Bolt Safety.
5. Effective Recoil Pad.
6. Sling Swivel Studs Installed.
7. Robust Reliable Action.
8. 5 + 1 Capacity.
9. Composite Stock
10. Reasonable Price.
11. Machined Extractor

I've got more information photos and videos on the Facebook page and blog if you are so inclined.

Links are below.

Always heard great things about the pardners. Also consider the Maverick 88. its a Mossberg 500 action with a different forearm and safety. Action is identical and accepts mossberg 500 accessories which will be widely more popular than the pardners.

My son and I finally got to shoulder a Pardner. It is a seriously built gun, you guys were deadon about that. But it is also as heavy as promised. It is too heavy for my son though. That's too bad as he has been exercising to prepare for getting a gun and we've been shooting the airsoft rifle at thrown targets. That is just one heavy gun. So, the Mossy 505 seems to get the nod.

But, there's no rush at this time. We shall see what the Spring holds.

I picked up a 20ga Mossburg 88 at my LGS today in "lightly used" condition for $200 out the door. I got a mod, full. and turkey choke with it.

It isn't an 870(my favorite gun) but it feels close in weight and how it handles. Plus barrels/stocks are much cheaper for the 88/500 than they are for my 870's

I would look at the Mossy, and there is nothing wrong with used guns. Thats how I get most of mine.

Kids shotgun

Buy low brass 20g for kid, won't kick any more than 3" .410. Cheaper to shoot
and will increase his hits with more shot. He will also be able to get in more
shooting for same money.

I will start by reloading some light loads for him and see how he does and then go from there. Shootability trumps effectiveness at first.

Back