H&R Model 650 22lr cylinder

mpolk,
They are very scarce and therefore hard to find. On rare occasions they show up on one or the other of the on-line gun auction sites. If you don't care if it is Nickel plated or not - you can substitute the lr cylinder from the 649, 676, 686, 666, 600 models.
Numrich and as far as I can tell, the other major H&R parts dealers are sold out.
Posting on forums such as this is a good idea - maybe find a private sale.
Good luck in your search.

mpolk,
Agree with 32 magnum!
The 650 cylinders are scarce.
I recently sold my last spare, and have actually sold another gentleman a spare blue cylinder, that he planned to have plated.
Actually the blue lr cylinders are becoming very hard to find as well.
But, as 32 magnum stated, that may be your best chance to get your 650 up and firing long rifle ammo.
I do have 1 long rifle cylinder in my stash, but, since I have so many convertibles, I'm not sure I not sure I want to part with it.
Jim

Last edited:
jamesjo was smart, he stocked up on H&R cylinders while they were still cheap. I screwed up, I bought mine while they were cheap and gave them away at the price I paid. Now, you can't find the darned things. H&R .22 revolvers have made a remarkable resurgence in the past 5 to 6 years. Prices have skyrocketed - I've sold pieces for at least double what I paid for them not 10 years before - a very nice return on investment. H&R is beginning to achieve the recognition and reputation they were unable to garner while they were in business (the original H&R Inc. I mean) - research and publication of information about them seems to have engendered a modern resurgence in interest and a desire to own these "utility grade" but well built and very robust, not to mention interesting, firearms, not only for their collectibilty but also their utiility. EVERY TIME I go to the handgun range at my club, I have a 1933 era H&R SPORTSMAN in my bag and a couple hundred .22 lr cartridges - that one gets shot more than any of my other guns, which number in the dozens for the modern pieces and the hundreds for the older pieces.

One last thought, JamesJo has one of the finest, if not the finest, collection of covertible H&R revolvers on the planet. He specializes in this genre and knows them inside and out. AND, he continues to expand his collection - he is one focused collector. Good job, Jim.

Here is the gun I picked up. I'll keep looking for a 22lr cyl. Thanks
h&r650.jpg

Last edited:
mpolk,
Good looking 650!
What am I saying? They are all good looking to me!
Thanks for sharing.
Keep searching, and post your search everywhere you can. Both of the top gun auction sites have want lists. Post there also. Then watch, watch , watch. When you see one, don't haggle or wait, jump on it. You may pay 1/2 of what you paid for the gun, but, at least you can shoot long rifle.
I will put a blue cylinder in my 650, and post a pic, you can see what 1 looks like.
Put it in when you are out killing cans, and put your nickel WMRF cylinder back in when you want to display it. Function over asthetics!( SP?)
I don't think I have my lr cylinder in any of my convertibles, I am a huge WMRF fan.
Since I rarely shoot anymore, it doesn't matter.
For someone such as your self though, you can shoot 1000 long rifle at the price of 100 WMRF.
Be forewarned though, If you find one buy it now, cause if you don't you'll be bidding against me! LOL:D

Last edited:
32 magnum,
You are too kind!
I am not really that focused.
I just don't have enough gray matter in working condition to fixate on any more than 1 genre at a time!!!!!!!!!

mpolk,
Pics are not my best, but I am using new software, and haven't got it down yet,after I crop all the excess BS from pic, I can't get it back in my file without losing my editing? probably never will figure it out!
Here's a couple pics.
650 with a blue cylinder.
Not bad, sure beats no cylinder!!

650002.jpg

650001.jpg

I had a perfect H&R convertable with both cylinders that I sold to a buddy years ago. I figured I could always pick up another later since they were everywhere, WRONG!

holdin,
The days of LNIB $ 100 pieces are gone, that's true.
there are however quite a few out there to be had.
Several very nice pieces regularly show up, and, you can always find good shooters without the box, and with some battle scars for reasonable prices.
There is a beautiful model 676 listed as we speak.
It is 1 year off for my needs, or I would have owned it several weeks ago.
On auction that rhymes with stroker.
About $ 275 I believe, and has yet to get a bid.
VERY nice looking piece.
Jim

I guess I did better than I thought when I gave $100 for this one. I thought it was too much with only one cylinder. I'll keep looking. Got it posted on several sites. Thanks

Last edited:
mpolk,
Yep, You did ok.
Looks to be a pretty nice revolver yet.
Now, just don't be surprised when you have to pay near that to get a nice lr cylinder.
either way, you will be into a good shooting convertible for less than $ 200 bucks!
Good job.
Be patient, I have looked for a couple years to find the right parts/guns before.
I know 32 magnum has been searching for a particular model since I first had contact with him, probably 3 + years ago.
The cylinder won't take that long.
I am still considering letting mine go.
I know I will never lose any of my cylinders, until I sell my last spare that is!!!!:D

Thanks for the input I'm looking. Which models all use this cylinder if you don't mind?

Last edited:
Models 600, 660, 666, 649, 650, 676 & 686 all use the "same" .22 rf and .22 wmr cylinders. SOME may need a bit of hand tuning - but mostly a direct drop-in fit.

MPOLK:
I have a nickel cylinder packed away in my stuff. I don't remember if it is LR or Mag. Have had the thing around here for over 20 years.
By packed, I mean packed. We are selling our place and moving to Tenn. Have about 25 or 30 banana boxes of my fishin and shootin stuff already packed in my mancave. When I get moved and unpacked, you can have the cylinder when I run across it. Can't say how long that will be, but we are waiting for a buyer. .....John

Back