H&R Mk II Revolver

Only when I laugh:) I think I must have crossed over from another post, disregard the "I". However, I see no British marking of any type so it was not used by the British police nor is there any evidence it has ever left the U.S. It is simply a H&R revolver in 32 S&W caliber made between 1905 and 1939 ( in 1940 H&R added a letter prefix to the serial number ).

Last edited:
So, basically, I was close with my first guess of an H&R Defender. I guess what he has is a large frame in .32 S&W. First time I have ever heard the designation of "MK II," however.

I think somehow he has it confused with one of the British Webley MK II, perhaps because it is also a break top.

I hope you do not need major money for something important as you are going to be lucky to get much more then $100 for that H&R.

You may want to get a copy of Charles W. Pate's book "U.S. Handguns of World War II". It was recently re-released and can be obtained from Amazon or Andrew Mowbray Publishers. Amazon may still have it on sale for about sixty bucks.

Chapter 13 of the publication covers H&R Revolvers. Your revolver is possibly the Premier model in .32 S&W.

Goforth shows that revolver as the No. 15 "Bobby Model". According to the book, the serial number appears on the front grip strap and also on the left side "with one or two letters whose meaning is unknown." The illustration shows a revolver identical to that pictured by the OP, and describes the markings as on the OP's gun. In 1940-1942, serial numbers 1-23782 were shipped to the British Purchasing Commission. All were in .32 Caliber. The No. 25 was in .38 S&W, but "it is unknown if any .38 caliber revolvers were purchased by Britain."

While .38 would seem to be a logical choice for the British, perhaps they took what H&R could produce, or planned to order .38's later and did not.

Jim

I think somehow he has it confused with one of the British Webley MK II, perhaps because it is also a break top.

It is clearly marked "MK II" on the top strap. I've never seen that designation used on an H&R. It does seem to be the same frame used on the Premier .22s.
And, the gun is stamped "32", not "92."

It has already been determined that the 3 was badly stamped and is not a 9.

I also have never seen the MK II designation used on an H&R; it is possible that it was marked that way at the request of the British, but then that brings up the natural question as to what was the Mk I?

Jim

If the serial is 24xxx, that is beyond what Goforth says is the top end (23782), but not by much. The PMP sounds like a police marking and not a factory mark. Do you have a picture of the serial number and also of that marking.

Since there are no English proof marks, it seems very unlikely that that particular gun ever was sent to England, but in any case if PMP is a police marking it will probably not be identifiable.

Jim

Back