H&R Handi-Rifle

I'm shooting 43 gr. of IMR 3031 with a 405 Remington sp bullet in my 45/70, and it doesn't bark that much. I can shoot mine for long sessions without it hurting me and it's very accurate and fun. With near max loads I imagine it could get uncomfortable, but the 45/70 is very versatile.

I bought my .45-70 Handi as a range toy. I only shoot cast bullet hand loads through it and most of the time I down load it to .45 Colt levels.

It's a very accurate rifle and if I decided to hunt with it, I'd load it up to trapdoor Springfield levels only. There's no point to hotting up a .457" round for hunting in most of the US. Unless you're going after polar or Kodiak bears, it'll shoot through all the game you're likely to encounter...

I went with the .45-70 over the .550 S&W because brass, bullet and molds are all cheaper and easier to find. Most of my loads are with Unique or 2400 and I get a lot of shots to the pound. The power is very comparable to a .45 caliber muzzle loader.

Tony

A buddy once owned a H&R set up as a 58 caliber black powder rifle.

It was a kicker, but we would grit our teeth and shoot it anyway.

Way too light for the size of slug that was being thrown.

I haven't shot any of the big bore Handi's but my friends heavy barreled .223 with 3-12x42 Nikon will make cloverleafs at 100 yards. His 52g bthp handloads are sub .5 MOA.

He shoots golf balls at 100 yards. :)

I've often though about Chambering one for 7.62x39 or 300 blackout and running subsonics for pest control.

Boomer

There was a special run of these in .300 black out. I don't remember the company that ordered them but they're around... Try searching for one on Gun Broker or other auction sites...

Tony

I believe the .300 AAC H&Rs were ordered by Talo.
They'll do anything you want to a Handi-Rifle, as long as you can get another 499 people to sign up, too. ;)

"They'll do anything you want to a Handi-Rifle, as long as you can get another 499 people to sign up, too."

.50 bmg! who's with me?!!!

.....no one??? :(

Last edited:
Not a problem.
I've been trying to track down a .223 "Youth" model for my own amusement. ... I want the short barrel and iron sights. ;)

So far, no luck. But, I only have 4 (crappy) stores within 200 miles of me, and only 1 within 100 miles. Even if they don't get one shipped in this week, it's not the end of the world.

If you find one, buy it. I got one for my son to use eventually It shoots well and is perfect for a kid.

.50 bmg! who's with me?!!!

.....no one???

If they're still under 300 bucks I'm in. Cheapest 50 Cal on the market. You would need to add two accessories though. You'll need to attach a muzzle brake to one end and an idiot to the other. I'm not sure it matters which end.:rolleyes:

That's it I'm calling them right now.;)

Boomer

Back