H&K P7M8

SIG

Anyone have a P7 refurbished ex-German police pistol??? To determine if it is, look at the Slide, it will have a ground mark (1/2 in. wide, horizontal) in a location towards the front and you would have paid between $6-700.00 for it.

Anyway, does anybody have any experience with it (I have one and I love it), I'm open for all comments. Thanks

I do, and the P7 is indeed a fine weapon and deserves every splendid thing we hear about it. The machine work is as fine and intricate as any I have seen on any piece of metal. The gun has been refinished--it shows no finish wear and small blemishes that have been blued over. There is no apparent barrel wear and the outside of the barrel is pristine. The grip panels also appear to be brand-new.

Other owners have noticed an uneven red/purple hue on the used P7's slide blueing. I have the same problem and it does look a little funky. The slide's finish is a bit mottled around the muzzle area. Some theorize that this is because of the high quality steel in the slide, but I don't think so, since new P7's don't have the problem.

The slide markings are unusual. Instead of letter codes for the production date (see previous threads), there is a date stamped on the slide: 08/94. I suppose that is the date of manufacture. I could not recognize the proof marks on the slide, frame, and barrel--they are different than the Ulm(?) marks one expects to see on H&K weapons (see previous thread).

The mill mark over the old police emblems seem a bit sloppy. I suppose that could be fixed by a good gunsmith. Another previous thread detailed a P7 refinishing project by AP&W. I await further news on that...

In any case, this is a great buy for a used weapon. Pick one up if you can.

A friend of mine just bought one relatively recently, and it's a fine gun. Yes, it has some blemishes and doesn't look quite as good as my commercial guns, but it shoots right with them. That's what really counts. My M8 is missing about 20% of it's finish from wear and tear. Who cares? It shoots great and is probably the best serious using pistol going. Enjoy, it doesn't get any better than P7s.

Picked one up a couple months back. It's something I've always wanted and had assumed I could never afford. Very excited.

There has, however, been one problem. When firing relatively quickly (example: strings of double taps) the weapon heats up. I mean it REALLY heats up. After @ 50 rnds., the slid is too hot to touch. By @ 100 rnds., the heat is working its way down into the frame.

I'd love to use this pistol as a carry piece. This heating makes that impractical. I'm not inferring that I'll be firing 100+ rnds. in a real world encounter. Rather, I feel that I need to practice a lot with whatever I carry. The heating gets in the way of me doing that. I've tried to shoot a couple magazines and take a break or switch to something else for a while too allow the P7 to cool off. Unfortunately, this is steel we're talking about and it takes a while to cool.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar heating issues. If so, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

I've heard this about PSP pattern guns. Their trigger guards are somewhat smaller than M pattern guns, and they have no heat shield. On my P7s (both M-series) I've never had any discomfort from heating. Often these guns are shot about 100rds a range session. Yes, you will notice the heat, but it's never bothered me. I've never had the guns heat up so much they were uncomfortable to touch, even in 100 degree weather. In winter with gloves, it's a non-issue.

Yeah Jawper, mine heats up pretty good too. Keep the posting coming, i'm reading.

If anyone has any info (poplin) on where the gunsmithing can be done for refurbs, let me know.

I have also seen many new P7's with the purple/brown hue, it's the type of metal used on the gun, that's also why it heats up so quickly.

"Get rid of that Nickel Plated Sissy Pistol, get yourself a Glock" Tommy Lee Jones

The P7M8 does get hot during a range session... The newer models have a plastic heat shield that does help a bit, but I have had problems during longer range sessions... The best thing you can do is either take it slow, shorter range trips, or wear a glove. As far a refinishing...

I own two P7M8's and I have refinished them both... One is done in a matte black teflon and the other is being done in a matte hard chrome... The teflon has worked out well for me, and is much better than the standard factory bluing... Refinishing a P7M8 can be a bit more expensive though, because the complexity of the gun requires more work, and you will usually get charged for that...

SIG et al,

Heard from a range master that a number of these trade-in P7s had cracked heat shields and/or cracked gas ports. He felt that would explain the heating issue. Recommended returning to H&K's customer service in N. VA. Sent it in yesterday. Will advise what they find. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

Sig,

I took my P7M8's to TJ's Custom Gunworks which is located in Ontario, CA. I actually just picked-up the hard chromed P7M8 yesterday. I think it looks great. TJ does excellent work, and he is a no BS kind of guy, which I appreciate. He has a webpage now at:
http://members.aol.com/tjscustom/Web/TJ-home.htm

He is a well known Sig gunsmith, but he also does work on other guns as well. His 1911 work is incredible! Keep in mind, his prices are usually more than others, but the attention to detail, fit and finish is the best I've seen. He also is the most knowledgable gunsmith (in terms of gunsmith work/techniques) that I've ever talked to personally.

No Sea bass. Appar. H&K does NOT cover any warranty work on the refurb. pistols.
I figure if the reliable pistols break, I'll have em' fixed. Luck of the draw I guess. remember, they are used guns. Pick one up if you can, they're worth the $$$$$$$$$.

Thanks alot Jwong.

Sig

About refinishing...

There are a number of black plastic parts on my P7M8:

1. Grip panels
2. Trigger
3. Heat shield

How does the gun look after all the metal parts get a chrome look? I am imagining that those black parts would look goofy against a metal-colored gun.

Another thing... I have seen the P7 on the silver screen only twice:

1. The bad guy in _Die Hard_ had one.
2. An assasin hired to kill James Bond in _Tomorrow Never Dies_ had one. Of course, 007 overpowered him, took the P7 and coldly dispatched him.

Ironically, both P7 owners were German bad guys. Any other movie sightings?

Poplin, at least one more movie occurrence I can think of, this time with a "good guy";
Jeff Bridges carried one in Six Million Ways To Die.
And the P7M8 looks great with the contrast of the black plastic parts against the dull silver finish of hard chrome.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Don'g forget Rutger Hauer in the "remake" of Wanted: Dead or Alive. That Josh Randall carried a P7. Actually, I wish I could forget the movie, but it did have a P7. One small detail saving it from total idiocy.

Oh yeah, Sig carries one in "Sig Never Dies" and "Goldensig" directed by SIG.

You should check it out.

Nope, never seen one in a movie, i'm gonna check those out sometime.

[This message has been edited by SIG (edited December 12, 1999).]

Two more movies:

Great Expectations - De Niro's character carries a P7 in a suitcase, pulls it out in Finn's apartment and drops it on the floor (ouch!)

The Dead Zone - The Secret Service guy uses one to shoot Christopher Walken and then the Senator guy shoots himself with one.

Yes the police trade-ins do heat up. But as another person stated. Just buy two P7's so when one heats up, you can put it down and grab the other one.

Does anybody just bring several 9mms to the range with them and put the hot P7 down and work with your Glock or Sig?

------------------

The Seattle Shooter

Poplin,

I think that the P7M8 with the matte hard chrome finish and the black plastic parts looks really good. I am visually impressed by mine... Although I guess it does come down to personal opinion...

jtduncan,

I have actually taken both my G34 and P7M8 down to the range at the same time so that I could trade off... But then I have to spend more time cleaning two guns later on, so that is not the most fun. At least for me...

Back