H&K P7M8 - tips & advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to go with one of those refurbished P7's, then I thought to myself, for $200. more, I get a brand new gun, lifetime warranty, and I know what has gone through the gun and so fourth.
I love the gun, it's easy to carry, easy to load, very light and compact.
The only two negatives, it gets very hot when firing 200+ rounds, and it gets very dirty, even though I hear some guys on this forum say that it likes to run dirty.

Anybody has suggestions for keeping it cool when shooting fast.

HP1, your welcome, I just hate to see gun people rip off other gun people. Get a copy of Gun List and Shotgun News, David Avery and Bachman Pawn and Gun in Dallas advertise in there. I think their advertised prices may be higher than the gun shows or shop prices but not by much. Doc probably advertises it at $719 but if you tell him that you heard about the gun show he will match the price. Even at $719 if you pay a rip off dealer $50 or more to do the transfer, my dealer charges me $10, you are going to come in under $900 and no sales tax unless you live in Ca.

I had two items that needed to be addressed with my P7M8. One was FEDERAL 115 gr.non-toxic training ammo. IT WILL NOT RECYCLE,and will jam on every other round.Other types of 115 gr.work fine so It must be the ammo not being hot enough.All 124 gr. work well for me.The second item is getting used to putting the slide back on after cleaning. The gas piston would never cooperate,and many a time I would pinch my hand or finger.Now I place the slide, muzzle down,on the table(with a cloth to prevent damage),line up the piston and spring and push down with one hand and pull the slide back with the other untill it drops into position. If someone has an easy way to do this please let us know.It's a great gun and if I ever figure out how to quiet the decocker It will be as perfect a gun as I would ever hope to own.Best of luck and enjoyment with yours.

Wishbone, to quiet the decocker, you can retract the slide 1/2", then release pressure on the frontstrap-squeeze cocker. That's as quiet as it can be made to be. (Perhaps you already knew that.)
I've never had any trouble putting the slide back on the frame, but the P7M8 was my first handgun, and I've been field-stripping the pistol for 15 years. You just fit the front of the recoil spring, which is stabilized by being held in place by the barrel (which it surrounds) over the barrel hole in the inner front of the slide, while allowing the gas piston to hang down, and sort of "finesse" it all back together by balancing the forces as you pull backward. One hand holds the frame, the other hand holds the slide. It's a sort of "learned skill", but one which becomes automatic after being done hundreds of times, and the gas piston will slip right in where it's supposed to, even if sometimes a little wiggling is necessary. Never takes more than 5 seconds from picking up slide & frame (with spring already on barrel) to reassembly. Maybe your P7M8 is new, and internal edges are all a bit sharp yet?
Jeff OTMG. your estimate of "thousands" of these guns coming into the country is overstated, I think. According to H&K, there were "several hundred" German police trade in guns up for refurbishing and resale. There aren't so many of them that you'll see new ones going for less than $900, and the "trade ins" have been going for as little as $525, or as much as $700 in the advertisements I've seen. (It does seem that the $700 figure is a bit high for a gun that's been cosmetically damaged, even if the guns are only "slightly" used.) The introduction of several hundred extra P7s into the USA isn't going to devalue the gun much, and if such brings it more within the price range of some who otherwise wouldn't have considered purchasing one because of the cost, how much the better! I'd encourage anyone seriously considering the acquisition of a P7M8 to go ahead and obtain one of the police trade ins before they're all snapped up, if you can find one for a good (< $650) price. And, although some of the guns are being sold without warranty, others of these same police trade ins are fully warranted by H&K; the one I bought, for instance, is. I haven't heard any explanation as to why some are provided with warranty and others are not. While these are extremely reliable pistols, and I've never had anything on mine break or require replacement after uncounted thousands (> 10K, anyway) of rounds, there's still no reason to buy one from someone who tells you "there's no warranty" unless you can get a better deal (say, ~$500) as a result.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

I picked up an M13 shortly after joining this forum. I only have one complaint...most of the pressure from firing it goes into the web of my hand between index finder and thumb...creating a sore spot there after about 60 rounds or so. No other 9mm's I've been shooting lately does this (HK USP, Walther P99, Glock 17). Is this normal for a P7M13? Maybe the grip is a little big for me perhaps...I might have been better off with the M8.
But I do like being able to fire 13 rounds between magazine changes!

My mistake Sawbones, I had heard numbers as high as 5000 turn-ins but my source was not H&K. I figured the influx to be as big as the Walther PP .32 ACP that started coming in around 1985. I was buying them for $165 in the box with 2 mags, there were so many they lasted until 1989. As I said only 400 of the P210's drove down the price of the 210 market. If the P7's get down to $525 I might even buy one for that, H&K was very good to me when I sent a P9S Target .45 ACP, that I bought used, for them to go through. I got all the upgrades and new springs, test fired, and shipping for $40. Even sent me a free owners manual. Doc had 4 NIB P7's for right at $800 available. He said the rebuilt turn-ins were already having an effect on price.

I bought my P7 without an owners manual and I am dying to know how I lock the slide back without a magazine in. This one has me stumped. Can anyone help me out?

Sawbones--Many thanks for the info.Maybe the spring is too stiff,as I find it hard for me to do as you are able to do. Maybe I'm just a weakling.I'll spend some time with the P7 at the range,so as to loosen up the spring.I'll let you know how I make out in a few weeks. Thanks again.

Willy-
On the left side of the trigger, up high, close to the slide, there is a small, unobstrusive button that moves straight back. That's the slide lock. Press it while retracting the slide. You may have to try it a few times to get it to work. Why don't you write H&K for a manual?

------------------
TB., NC
rosie.acmecity.com/bebe/6/index.html

[This message has been edited by Tim Burke (edited September 07, 1999).]

Thaddeus (thanks!) helped me locate
a P7 gunsmith/armorers manual when I
purchased my first P7M8. Contact CFI
in Texas ((817) 595-2485. I paid $25
for it and it was well worth it. "It
will tell you everything you should
ever need to know."
-Thad