gunvault minivault problem

dakiwi13

so i've got a gunvault minivault standard safe

does NOT have the finger print sensor

as of a few days ago, i can put in my code, the green light blinks like normal, but the latch doesn't unhinge and open the door. the code is correct and i've checked to make sure that nobody else has tried to change it or get into it by putting in a bad code. i then changed the code to something else and this still happens

the safe still opens like normal w/the key, but it's a pain in the butt to have to do that every time as compared to the normal way of putting in the access code.

anybody know what the problem is?

I had the same problem with mine. I think I slightly bent the latch and then tested like crazy. It hasn't recurred. You using batteries? Power?

Do you hear the motor actuate? If so, the odds are good that the cable between the motor and the latch is broken. It is very, very common. They claimed to have fixed the problem some years ago... they apparently lied.

That sounds like some other kind of issue. Even with a broken cable you can clearly and easily hear the motor whir each time.

Good luck, their customer service is notoriously horrendous.

I had had an issue with the wires from the battery pack getting pinched when replacing the batteries. This didn’t prevent my unit from working, but if they wore enough I’m sure it could cause an issue.

Huh. I had that one time, held the door in just a titch as I entered the code and it popped right open. Batteries were too weak to overcome the spring tension.

Get rid of the electronics if you want increased reliability.

KeylessSolutionD900.jpg

Isn't that lock electronic also?

No. All mechanical and you can find several brands of handgun safes that use this style lock. If you ever do wear one out, just replace the lock. You will pay a little more, but you will buy it once.

I've got a 'handgun box' (that was the brand name) that's more than twenty years old, and uses the Simplex mechanical lock. Still works perfectly, and one of the best gun related purchases I've ever made.

The FAS looks very similar; when I'm looking for another safe, that'll be the first stop.

Larry

My gunvault does what you describe every two or three weeks.
That's how long the batteries last !!
Tried several brands.
Polished the latch and tried some light lubrication.
Nothing worked except changing the batteries.
I will never trust the unit.

I've got a 'handgun box' (that was the brand name) that's more than twenty years old, and uses the Simplex mechanical lock. Still works perfectly, and one of the best gun related purchases I've ever made.
The FAS looks very similar; when I'm looking for another safe, that'll be the first stop.

Those were very heavy duty safes. The door is 1/4" steel!

My gunvault is on its second set of batteries in four years. Does your lock actuate of you punch in the code with the door already open?

have never heard of that brand

They have been out of business for about the last 10 years. While they were heavy duty, they were also considered very expensive for the time. I'm sure that hurt their sales volume.

12509008.jpg

My gunvault is on its second set of batteries in four years. Does your lock actuate of you punch in the code with the door already open?

I've had mine since January 2009 and never changed the batteries. Unfortunately, the cable inside broke so it's a mute point that the batteries still work. All they do is make a whirring sound now.

Back