Gunsplainin'

Maybe the reporter(s) just got it wrong. Or the editor. (It looks as though they got more right than is usually the case in reports like this.)

Or...

Maybe he had a Glock 22 and was running a 9mm conversion barrel. If he was using a 9mm magazine, he'd have a Glock 22 shooting 9mm rounds from a 17 round magazine. :)

Per websters:

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines can be removable (detachable) or integral (internal/fixed) to the firearm. The magazine functions by moving the cartridges stored within it into a position where they may be loaded into the barrel chamber by the action of the firearm.

So please explain how a cylinder is not the revolvers magazine and how an M1 can operate without a blind or internal magazine.

And a clip is still used to load magazines.

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines can be removable (detachable) or integral (internal/fixed) to the firearm. The magazine functions by moving the cartridges stored within it into a position where they may be loaded into the barrel chamber by the action of the firearm.

Rounds do not move from the cylinder to the barrel chamber, the cylinder IS the chamber. It does more than a magazine, it holds the rounds for firing not feeding. The rotation of the chambers to line up with the barrel is not considered "feeding".

If you really want to twist in knots, one of the major firearms makers listed their magazines as "clips" in their catalog at one time. The reasoning was so that people who did call them all clips would find the listings and buy them.

The most common use of clips is to load magazines. Stripper clips. But there are other clips that don't do that, as defined by the people who made them.

The criteria of having a spring to feed the cartridges seems to work well for me. It even applies to tubular magazines,

The Garand clip is "springy",but that's to hold the cartridge.Same with the friction spring in stripper clips and the flex in moon clips.

I'm not a Gatling expert..was the feed for those a magazine with a spring,or was gravity the "spring"?

IMO,the examples of Mauser,1903,even the M-14 and the Rem Model 8/81,they have box magazines with springs and followers,but they can be fed with stripper clips and the receivers have stripper clip guides.
Its pretty clear cut.

Its possible to find an argument where none really exists.

Webster? Its good for spelling and most definitions,but I don't think its reasonable to expect they get all technical minutia perfect.

I doubt surgeons use Webster in professional discussions.

my pet peeve is "clip".

MY pet peeve is gunboarders who think the distinction between "clip" and "magazine" is the pinnacle of firearms expertise. I wish there were an app to track these boffins on their usage of other terms.

Sample question: What is your bore diameter?

I'm not a Gatling expert..was the feed for those a magazine with a spring,or was gravity the "spring"?

There were a lot of variants. Most were gravity feed like the tall vertical magazines on most movie prop Gatlings. One version did have a weighted follower to help gravity out.
The Broadwell drum held 240-400 rounds gravity fed.
The Bruce feed, also gravity, had the advantage of accepting ammo while in place, letting a dexterous assistant gunner keep the gun loaded while firing.
The Accles drum was the top of the line. It was linked to the gun's action and mechanically advanced cartridges into the gun. It was demonstrated to work in any orientation. I don't know why you would mount your Gatling upside down, but the Accles would keep it shooting.

my pet peeve is "clip".

drives me nuts for some reason. It's a magazine. Magazine holds ammo. Clips load magazines.

Years ago there was a business that sold mags at gun shows, business name was Clip joint. I remember that Clip/mag were interchangeable with the old timers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The local gun show has a display of ammo holding gadgets. Its sign is Clips R' Us. Hasn't someone posted 1911 documentation from the Army introductory material with the guns way back when that used the term 'clip'.

French fries aren't from France and British call them chips I suggest if you are in a fire fight and someone says to throw them a clip, you refuse to do it.

... I remember that Clip/mag were interchangeable with the old timers.

Some folks get some sort of joy out of reminding us that guns have slide stops not slide releases...

One or two gunmakers call those levers slide releases -- and others give instructions IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL that explains how the slide can be released (after loading or reloading) by pressing the lever.

What something is called doesn't necessarily control how it's used. (If it did, we'd never see an extended slide stop -- as that would be a meaningless control.)

As an aside...on this and a couple of other gun forums..to this FNG, returnee to handguns(and rifles), the 'gun business' must be alive and well..a day doesn't go by that I don't have to 'cut and paste' a gun make and model on google to see what it actually is..LOTS of choices out there these days for just about any taste, use, need, desire..
:)

Back