Gunsmithing screwdrivers

The best are the Brownell's Magna-Tip bits.

These are American made and are the finest quality available.
They offer more sizes then anyone else and you seldom have to grind a bit to get a perfect fit.
Professional gunsmiths time is valuable and we don't like having to waste time grinding a bit when we can get one that's ready made and fits properly.
Sometimes grinding a bit is necessary but not often with the Brownell's.

If you ever damage a bit, email Brownell's and they'll send you a replacement FREE.
So, it's "Buy once, Cry once" since you'll only have to buy a bit one time for life.

I recommend buying two of the "law enforcement" size handles...one magnetic and one clip-grip retention. You'll use both.
Many people think the magnetic retention handles are what's needed, but often the last thing you want is a screw that won't let go from the driver.
The law enforcement size are the perfect size for good control and no slipping like with bigger handles.

You can buy small sets, big master sets, and individual sets of three or four bits that fit a specific gun.
Buy the biggest set you can afford and as you need them buy other sizes to add to the set.

Unlike the Chapman sets, the Brownell's are long enough to fit into holes like the screw holes on single action trigger guards and back straps.
Try that with most sets and you'll gouge the edges of the holes.

As above, the Brownell's are top quality American made, where the Midway Wheeler sets are Chinese made and no where near the quality of the Brownell's.

You get what you pay for and the price of the Brownell's bits are far cheaper then having to buy an expensive and hard to get gun screw.
Also, customers are not real happy with scratched and gouged guns and dinked up screw slots.
+1000 for the Brownells set.

I bought my Brownells magna tip set about 20 years ago including the thin bit set. In all these years I’ve only damaged one bit (the smallest one). Definitely one of my smartest buys. They are the standard. Buy quality tools and they last.

Jim

Brownell's will replace broken or damaged Magna-Tip bits.
I DON'T know if they'll replace other types of bits like Torx or specialty type bits.

The Brownell's sets use a slippery hard plastic standard screwdriver handle. This is their only real failing. Keep that stupid thing degreased.

I have the Chapman, B-Square and Lyman sets, and I buck screwdrivers for $1.00 each at the local thrift shops, flea markets, rummage sales, etc. Grind them to fit. I even ground one to fit the slots of bicycle wheel nipples. Well worth the effort.

I have picked up , over the years three different sets , Lyman , Midway and Pachmayr .
One thing you always need is screwdrivers...ordered a Wheeler Professional 43 piece set from Amazon for $29.99 and was extremely happy with it . Nice bits , good selection and the handle is comfortable. They make a larger set for $60-$70 , if you want the whole enchilada . But for my needs the 43 piece set filled the bill.
Gary

I've been working on Browning Auto 5 shotguns and the Remington and Savage off-springs of that version for eons.
The Magna-tip bits, as sold through Brownells, have every slot & blade width to cover every screw on the Auto 5 shotguns, including the tiny lock screws on the larger screw heads, and the slim slots involved.
Stubborn screws can be an issue involving removal, especially on older guns that have been neglected of maintenance.

Something that will work most of the time for me is to insert the correct fitting driver blade and then smack the back end of the driver handle with a ball-peen hammer. That idea involves this action will quite often "shock" the screw loose. But, there's no need to smack the handle like you're driving a nail into place. Another method is to squirt some Kroil in and around the screw head before the "shock" treatment. Kroil is supposed to be able to leech into 2-millionths of an inch gaps and help with screw removal. Don't know who, or how they measured that? :confused:

I bought a set of Grace "gunsmith" screwdrivers, and I've never used them. The tips aren't hollow ground. VERY disappointing. I should have returned them, but it's far too late now.

Aside from the fact that the tips aren't hollow ground, I haven't yet found a screw on any gun that they fit.

This is the very BEST advice! Stick with the Brownell's mag-na-tip bits and you will NEVER go wrong. I've been using these bits since 1970 and have advocated their use in "American Gunsmith Journal" articles for many years now. The handles ain't no more slippery than any other handle out there, and I use three of what they sell, so discount any verbiage otherwise!

Dennis A. Wood
Sarona Gun Works LLC

Back