Gunsmith fees to remove a screw?

That used to be everyday stuff for me (Small screws in boring/turning tools). The worst part about the gun end is trying to hold it straight in something. I have seen a lot of guns that sustained more damage from clamping the gun than from the actual removal of the broken screw. At the very minimum, a small drill press. I just removed a broken Easy-Out on Friday. They should make them illegal. Worse than taking a broken tap out.

A trick I have used to get a lot of broken taps out: A roll pin ,OD just under tap drill size. Grind slots in it with a cutoff wheel across the end to make prongs,or fingers,to engage the flutes of the tap.

Before you use it,pick/blow out chips and shattered tap bits.Put the rollpin in a little chuck.Use tap fluid. Engage the prongs and just try to get any movement.
Then its like rocking out a stuck car. I've used that on 2-56 and 4-40 taps deep in stainless.

Then there is the sinker EDM ! That works,too.

HiBC,
You don't like my suggestions, don't use them.
You make unsupported assumptions, and you know what is said about assumptions.
It currently has a red dot sight and mount on it, and in the center screw holding the mount to the barrel, someone rounded an allen screw key, then it broke off in the screw head.
Hard to mess up the gun when it's the mount being worked on.
Mounts are repairable or replaceable if the results aren't satisfactory once the screw is out.
You misspelled Bugatti.
Carroll Shelby, too.

Last edited:
> I've have to think a base price will be in the $50.00
> per hour range with a one hour Minimum fee.

If I could farm that sort of thing out to a competent and reliable shop, I'd gladly pay $50 and pass it on. It would be worth it for everyone concerned.

A pictures worth a thousand words. I looked up the gun and it doesn't sound like a big deal even if people are going to fight over methods. Try to get $30 off and take it to a competent gunsmith.

Hey guys, here's a couple of youtube videos on removing screws with damaged heads.
The first one is how to use a chisel, in this case an air chisel plus a cutter and vise grip.
That was one stubborn screw, probably due to being in an aluminum case.
But hand tools work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTNxlcp4S-8
The second video is from Lowes and has some neat tricks, too, especially cutting a new screw driver slot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI2hl3Zfi6Q
Lots more at youtube.

FWIW, I've done this for $15 or no charge, depending on customer and what else they are having done. Shop rate is $60 an hour and just removing screws is a five minute job in most cases. If the hole needs redrilling and tapping it might be a bit more.

I've never needed more than a drill press for this and it's a common gunsmith job. I haven't screwed one up in a while, but when I do I fix it on my dime.

This may not work for some but it works for me, my needs, my business and my customers. Most of whom don't complain. If they tell me I need to do the work a certain way, I tell them I'm not equipped for it and send them elsewhere.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A poor craftsman blames his tools - or lack of them.
Gun smithing didn't just suddenly arrive with the invention of modern elaborate equipment and electricity.
The main source of power for machines back in the day was water power or animal power, not as available as the electricity we all take for granted.
While it's gotten easier for those with access and the skill to use large power tools, for centuries weapons were very well made and repaired with hand tools.
Heck, they still are.
Thinking that only the most elaborate way to do things is acceptable leaves us helpless if they aren't available.
And that is not acceptable.

Last edited:
My experiences with gunsmiths have been hit or miss.

A local gunsmith to my work was wanting to charge me $25 to order a set of night sites, plus a fee to install them. This was to cover his time. So I bought a site pusher and did them myself.

Before I got into AR's, a friend of mine need his staked castle nut removed. We went to a lgs which had it's own gunsmith. He did it while we waited and charged us nothing because we shopped their.

Back