Gunslinger: can a tricked Ruger equal a Freedom Arms '97 .357?

One more thing: that Super Blackhawk had a hammer radically different from the Vaquero. More "modern", with a wide thumb pad, a bit lower but not quite like a Bisley. Is that same hammer standard on a Blackhawk? If so I might end up starting out with that...it may be low enough (versus my Single Six which appears to be identical to Vaquero?).

And if I'm all outta ammo and no more knives, I fart at 'em :D.

Jim March

On the mag idea for 45 LC. The 45 Win magnum and the 50 AE are both close. From the Accurate loading guide (only manual I have that lists all three);
45 LC case dia=.480 case length=1.285 oal=1.600
45 Win mag case dia=.473 case length=1.198 oal=1.575
50 AE case dia=.540 case length=1.285 oal=1.610
Don't know cost or availability of these. Maybe Promag, Mecgar, Triple K, USA ? There's always browsing through the clearance bins at gunshows and in gunshops also.
BTW Gunslinger, haven't heard back from my buddy in OKC yet. Sometimes he's out of town weeks at a time. You going to be shooting at Columbia at all or are there any Saturday matches down your way?

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited March 04, 1999).]

Jim,

Your idea of using a magazine as a speed loader for reminded me of something I saw in a Thad Rybka (holster maker) catalog a number of years ago (late-80's, I think). In a picture showing one of his cross-draw rigs for a SA he was wearing a 45 ACP mag/mag carrier on his strong side. The accompanying verbage mentioned he used the 45 ACP mag as a speedloader. He's still around somewhere in Alabama. So your idea is definitely doable.

------------------

Gunslinger,

I've seen several articles in magazines where different people have had Ruger Bisley's built in stainless. Since Ruger doesn't make a stainless Bisley (at least not with adj. sights and unfluted cylinder), how did their gunsmiths accomplish this? Can you get all these Bisley parts in stainless? This would seem like the basis for a great pistol (44 mag, 4 3/4 - 5" bbl, rounded "gunfighter" grips, express sights) for bear country. Or for concealed carry in the city, for that matter.

------------------

Flattop 10"

Dads002.jpg

HERE is a Ruger Flattop. This particular specimen is my 1960 .44 mag with 10" barrel. Flattops were the FIRST Ruger centerfire revolvers. The .44s were built from 1956 to 1962 and numbered 29,000 units. Most all were 6.5" but rarely you'll find one in 10" or 7.5" They are the predecessor of the 3 screw "Old Model"...

FWIW,

Dennis

BTW, the .357 Blackhawk Flattop came out in 1955 and is built on a smaller frame than the .44 mag....

IMNSHO, you can't turn a Ruger into a Freedom Arms.

The tolerances of a FA revolver can make a machinist get a woody, and the line boring of the cylinder makes each chamber very accurate, and consistent.

The FA grip frame is not an SAA and not a Bisley, but something in between. I've shot hundreds of single actions, and the FA 97 is my all time favorite.

dsc05237copy4vv.jpg

Back