gunshop question...

If it's not posted, the assumption is that one can carry in the store. Removing a loaded weapon from the holster is something altogether different.

Yes...and it just amazes me that some people have the mindset that it is okay to randomly whip out their ccw just because they're in a gun store. I don't want to be around a guy fondling his loaded gun at the mall, in a restaurant, on the street or at an LGS.

Naturally, at an LGS you more expect to see to see guns out. Customers are shopping and customers have questions about their FA's, but there is just a certain amount of respect and courtesy for those around us when we are handling FA's.

I'm sure we have all seen customer's at the counter that are looking at a possible new purchase. The next thing ya know, this customer has the FA in hand and has turned around in the store and is sighting it at head/chest level at an object in the store. People walking all around that have been swept by the customer. :rolleyes: I have witnessed guys sighting at objects while people have actually ducked to get under the bbl.

Don't know about any of you, but I just don't like any FA pointed in my directions. Period!

Speaking to gunstore etiquette, I absolutely lose my cool when some rude buffoon just takes it upon themselves to pick up MY firearm (which is sometimes placed on the counter during discussions with the gunshop folk about whatever) for their own personal coon-finger, without a thought of first asking.

The only time I've held my tongue, was when the LGS store owner was a personal friend - as I wouldn't want to see him lose a potential customer, that had walked out after I tongue-lashed him (I've never seen a female act so rudely as to do that).

(rant over)

I don't know of a gunshop around here that would permit one to load a gun in the store or handle a loaded gun in the store. I would not try to do that.

Is it illegal or un-ethical when you purchase said handgun, to load it on premises, and place in your holster at your side?

Probably neither, but don't. Just don't, unless the guy knows you really, really, really well.

Last edited:
I swear there was a movie that had a scene like this, with some Austrian actor, the Hyphenator or something like that.

:rolleyes:

I'd proffer this is an astoundingly bad move.

zincwarrior said:
I swear there was a movie that had a scene like this, with some Austrian actor, the Hyphenator or something like that.

:rolleyes:

Ha ha, I'd almost forgotten about that scene! Yeah, what the OP describes is eerily similar to that gun shop scene in The Terminator. And anyone who thinks that loading up in a gun store is a good idea probably shouldn't even own guns to begin with, because they obviously have severe judgement issues...

As an 18 year old when this movie came out I would beg to differ. At the time, I thought it was an awesome movie. Does it hold up today? Not as well but still a good movie.

^^^ No, he said it was a bad "move". As in loading the gun in the store is a bad move. It's definitely not a bad movie; I've never met anyone who thought that.

Personally, I don't believe I've ever been in a LGS or store that sells firearms that would allow it - and I've been in a lot of 'em over the past 50 odd years. In fact, I have seen signs posted on the doors entering the shop stating "no firearms carrying allowed on premises". I don't blame any of 'em with all of the liability problems today.

I'm licensed to carry in two different states - each vary. But in each state, there are places that I don't just because of "common sense".

If a person is buying a handgun (or any gun), why the rush to load and holster it? I've purchased handguns in two different states and in all of the shops I've purchased in, a case was required by the LGS to "carry" the handgun from the store to your car. If you didn't bring one, they had cheap ones you could buy. What the buyer does once he leaves the store is up to him and the laws pertaining to the area he is in. As pointed out . . . most people will take even a "used" gun home and clean it first, become familiar with it and the function. Unfortunately, there are many who do not do that nor do they read the manual - and that's something everyone should do regardless of how experienced they are with handguns. I went shooting with a friend last week who had a new Ruger 22 - it malfunctioned at the range and wouldn't work. I know he never read the manual as he was surprised there was a "key" in the case and that the gun had a IL. The gun just wouldn't fire - so, he sent it back to Ruger which is about two hours away from where we are. Their first question after examining it and test firing 250 round through it without a problem - "Did you clean it first and read the manual?" :rolleyes:

I wouldn't do it, for many of the reasons listed already. It's bad form, you should always thoroughly clean a new gun before you shoot it, most LGS not allow it, ect.

Back