Guns that shoot better than they should

My Rossi 720 is much more accurate than you would expect. It is a large caliber (44 special) with a short (3") barrel. It had been abused before I got it - it had a bent ejector rod and several other issues. It is on the small side to fit my extra-large hands comfortably. But it is surprisingly accurate. My FiL and I each brought six or seven centerfire handguns to the range the other day and it easily outshot everything else at 15 yards. The trigger is excellent. For an old, used revolver from a mediocre manufacturer, it shoots much better than it "should".

Rossi%20target_zpserswmkq1.jpg

My old Sig 232 that I no longer own. First mag I ever put through it was about a 2" group at 25ft in somewhat rapid fire. Now that they are discontinued I kinda wish I kept it.

Reluctant to say it, but my $200 Polish P64. Tiny unusable sites. Awkward trigger pull in DA. I wouldn't believe it either. For giggles in SA I shot at the 200 yard gong and rang it. Thinking someone else rang it instead of me, I tried again. Bong. I can't even do that with my modern handguns.

I later found a video of a guy doing similar. Something about the design of the P64 makes it inherently quite accurate.

All firearms shoot straight out of the barrel. The only thing that prevents this is a mal-used or cheap firearm. That being said, the size of the hand to the grip, and the proper hand grip method, stance, breathing, aim that puts the bullet in the paper or plastic bottle is of course the best. As an NRA Firearms Instructor, I do not think a well cared for factory manufactured firearm, and knowledge of it's history is a good and accurate firearm, provided the shooter knows its limitation and caliber.

So if such a firearm fits your fancy and gives you a nice grouping, is more specific to the shooter...not the firearm!

My Kahr CW-9 at 25 yards Well you don't want to stand on receiving end . I couldn't believe how accurate it was.

So true for me as well... I've always been amazed at the accuracy of my CW9, and it's 100% reliability.

I have a used 9mm Stoeger Cougar (from when they were manufactured on the recently acquired Beretta equipment in Turkey). It's a very fine and accurate gun!... Worth about double what I paid for it... TO ME.

My friend and I went out shooting. He had a Ruger P89 and I didn't expect it, but I was really surprised about how accurate that pistol was.

I also fired another friends HK USP .40 and was impressed wit it's accuracy.

Have fired lower end 1911's and been able to shoot them better than other pistols that are more expensive.

Handgun, maybe. But definitely a shooter!

T/C Contender. Have 28 barrels and half or more are capable of sub-MOA.
one at a time.

Mine's a Norinco 1911. Bought new back when you still could. It was to be the start of a custom build, but it shot so good I couldn't bear alter it. Have since added Novac sights and changed grips and straight backstrap. It has outshot some very expensive 45's.

My CZ 100 does fine by me, considering it has been blasted as having one of the worst triggers in existence by practically every writer that ever reviewed it... [emoji57]

Sorry for the poor picture quality.

6ab2a1cb2a3d2bf2601053bc25c5d7b8.jpg

013d429d25827d7876078af1151a16d7.jpg

Last edited:
Back