Guns that shoot better than they should

KenL

Every time I shoot my Taurus TCP it amazes me with how easy it is to hit stuff with it. The sights are tiny, but I get hits with that gun at distances that are out of what I'd consider pocket gun territory. I haven't shot it for groups, just shoot at the plastic ground pounder targets. In my hands it hits pretty well, consistent with my Glock 22 and my Kahr CW40 that I was shooting yesterday.

Anyone else have guns that surprise them with how accurate they are?

I have a Ruger MKIII 22/45 that I shortened the barrel to 3" and tuned the bolt by lightning. I shoot this gun out to 20 yards as well I do 5 1/2" barrel 22/45's.

I guess I would have to say my Glock 26. I am by no means a Glock fanboy, the 26 is the only Glock I own and most likely the last. I picked one up because I was impressed with the accuracy of my brothers 27 and went with the 26 simply for a bit less recoil. You have probably heard it before of the baby Glocks being as accurate as there full size counterparts, In my experience that is a pretty fair statement.

I do have such a gun.It's a Colt Huntsman,6",22LR.This Colt was a gift from my parents for my 18th birthday,so many,many years ago.It just seems to find the targets in spite of me! :D

45ACP Glocks are thick, blocky bricks, but they shoot so smoothly, quickly, and right to where your brain wants the bullet to go. Everyone wants to show me how much better their choice in a .45ACP handgun is, but when it comes time to compare targets, the G21/G30/G36 show the challengers their rear ends.

I have a Kasnar/CDI imported FEG Hi Power clone that I picked up for $250 a few years back and is a very nice shooter. Accurate, gentle, and has a good trigger. It has a beautiful blueing job on it that isn't accomplished on new guns sold these days.

Not a handgun, but the cheap-o Marlin 795's just shoot and shoot and shoot, and do it much more accurately than even modified competition from Ruger.

My TCP is more accurate than a gun of that size should be but my recently acquired Ruger 22/45 Mark III Target amazes me with its accuracy. With a bolt instead of a slide, it is a short rifle without a stock.

I have a Bulgarian Makarov that i take to range occasionally. I went this week, and took it for the first time in 4-6 months. It felt a little awkward in my hand, but still as accurate as ever- depite not being able to see that little-bitty GI style front sight half the time.

$50 in 1981

Raven003_zps7faaae49.jpg

Kahr CM9 1 inch at 7-9 yards, slow fire off hand with remanufactured FMJ ammo.

This one may even have been "bubba'd" with an aborted barrel polish job.

But it shoots so I like it.

Last edited:
I have a few: a 6" Colt Trooper MKIII, a 4", S & W model 57, a stainless Ruger MKIII Hunter and an old 6", JP Sauer & Sohn .22 revolver.......Robin :)

My Grand Power P11 Mk12 surprised the hell out of me when I first shot it...it's my most accurate gun (of 11). It has little felt recoil and the trigger is ultra-smooth.

20150309_195549.jpg
<--- from 7 yards, first magazine ever, after dumping 250 rounds from other guns. I was shooting steadily (1-2 sec between rounds). Many of those holes are touching. I don't normally get hits like this with other handguns.

I can't shoot my XD Mod.2 9mm like this, and they're roughly the same size/dimensions.

Kahr CM9. Uncanny how accurate it is. 1 - 2" groups at 10 yards, every time I shoot it. 3" or smaller at 15 yards. I've even gotten groups inside of a 6" circle at 25 yards. For laughs, I've even shot the tiny thing at 50 yards - and managed to hit an 8" gong more than 2/3 of the time, after a bit of practice and ranging.

Amazing little gun.

I routinely put 30-40 shots in a snuff can size shot out area at 15-16 yards with my 45 and 9E. The guns would do it for 2000 shots but, I lose concentration and buckle to the pressure of trying to get the perfect 50 shot target, somewhere around this round count. I'm no pro and never claim to be one but, the SR line of Ruger pistols absolutely amaze me with their accuracy. God Bless

+1 on the Kahrs. My CW40 shoots better than it has a right to-about as well as my 3.8 XDm which was another pleasant surprise. I don't own a Shield but I get to shoot one from time to time and they are really easy to shoot well.

I always surprise myself with how well I shoot my Walther PPS and USP Compacts. Despite being small and with short sight radii, I shoot them as well or better than many full-size guns. v:confused:v

Back