Guns that got away (because you were an idiot).

Only one gun I regret not buying.

My first gun ever was a Colt King Cobra. Next to the King Cobra was a Colt Grizzly, for a mere $100 more. I didn’t think know at the time, but the Grizzly was limited to 500. Nowadays, they go for almost $10,000 or so.

I would have shot the hell out of it, like I did the King Crobra. So it would have been worth probably half of the $10,000. But the Grizzly is one of the prettiest designs for a revolver, nicer than a Python. I love Colt revolvers. The only revolvers I will buy and collect are Colt.

3" model of 1989, S&W .45acp revolver, sold to pay income tax debt.
6" Colt Anaconda, sold for the same reason.
Beretta model 90, (.32acp) Roma, because "it was just a .32".

Last edited:
I often pine for the return of my Russian SKS.
But, at the same time, I usually also admit that I got rid of it because I never shot it. I never shot it because it wasn't feasible to reload (half the cases went into orbit), and I wasn't going to pay the going rate for quality ammo.

The rest went away for good reasons. Would I like to have some of them back? Sure.
But I don't really view disposing of them as mistakes.

My brother-in-law wanted to sell his M1 Carbine plus about 500 rounds of ammo for a grand total of $400 bucks. About five years ago. I wanted it but money was just tight enough that I thought I better wait.

I should have bought it from him.

He sold it and bought a Circuit Judge. When he passed away a couple of years later, he left it to me. I still haven't shot it but I really wish I'd bought that M1.

--Wag--

When I first got into shooting I knew very little but the job I had required that my revolver be able to fire .38 Special ammo. I had always wanted a Colt Python with a 6 inch barrel (like the one David Soul used in Starsky & Hutch). Well I passed on several good Ruger Security Sixes. Not that there was anything wrong with the Python but I later learned how good the Security Six was. I could kick myself over that.

Not like it's some highly respected piece of work like a Colt Python. But I rue the day I passed up buying an XD chambered in .357Sig for less than $400.

SKS . . . .

When I first started hunting I was looking for a coyote rifle. I remember seeing an sks for $69 but didn't have a clue about it so left it there.

More recently I passed on a "Rainbow" Sig p238 NIB for just over $400. Guy was going out of business due to health problems. Reason I passed on it is that, in that moment, I was an idiot.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Sig X-Five Level 1 9mm when I found one under $2K
Borchardt C-93 when I found one for $5,000.
Bren Ten
Sig AMT for $3,500

Polytech Ak. Cant recall which model. Guy wanted 250 bucks. Could sell it now for ten times that. Oh well.

I read on another forum "you didn't pay too much, you paid too soon."

I feel you bro.

Back