Guns & Music - Part Deux

It's been snowing for 3 straight days and everyone is in a bad mood. So the rest of you don't feel left out:
Ringo-Lorne Green
Patches-Walter Brennen

------------------
A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined;
George Washington Jan 8,1790--There can be no doubt about the Second Amendment.

Mykl,
Mr. Shorty by Marty Robbins (written by Cordle & Robinson) Mariposa Music, Inc.
There are two versions of the song - I prefer the longer one. Among other albums, it's on Marty's "no.1 Cowboy" album.
(As you might discern, Mr. Shorty is one of my all-time favorites!) "Nobody knew where he came from..... It's me, Mr. Shorty! Your friend!"

What about the rappers
Mac 10
Smith & Wesson
Peter Gunz

look into rap song guns all over the place

Ice Cube "Good Day"
"...I didn't even hafta ta use mah AK, I can't believe it was a good day"

Tupac
"...They say I can't roll my my glock..."

Bullet with Butterfly Wings Smashing Pumpkins I think.
Aaron

[This message has been edited by amacks (edited March 11, 1999).]

Lynyrd Skynyrd-"Give me back my bullets"
And if you're into heavy metal, BOLT THROWER is all about weapons and war. My favorite title being "TANK (Mk I)".

"I Am Your Gun"--a Jethro Tull rarity.

"...I am the peacemaker, so the theory goes, but I don't choose the company I keep, and it shows!...Well, I'll take second place to the motor car, in the score of killing kept thus far. But just remember if you don't mind, it's not the gun that kills but the man behind!..."

Ian Anderson talking as though he's a gun, professing the fact that he's not the bad guy and is not responsible for the fact that he is misused so much. Excellent song to play top-volume in the vicinity of the anti-gunners. Our message put to music!

BAB

[This message has been edited by BAB (edited March 12, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by BAB (edited March 12, 1999).]

How about Literary Licence with existing songs? In your head think of the song "Learning to Fly" by Pink Floyd off their "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" album.

Learning to Shoot

"Out in the distance, a silhouette of black,
beyond the point of no turning back.
A shot of fancy on a wind swept field,
standing alone my senses reel.

A fatal attraction is holding me fast.
How can I escape this irresistible Grasp?
Can't keep my eyes from the silhouette guy!
Tongue-tied & twisted just a Range bound misfit, I.

Fog is forming on the lens of my scope!
Unheeded warnings, I do not know if I can cope.
No impact spotter to guide my shot home.
Magazine is empty, I turn to stone.

A soul in tension to make this one shot
Condition novice, but I fell hot!

(Music with background noises of Range Commands)

Above the planet, on a wing and a prayer,
my match projectile, a vapor trail in the empty air.
Below the clouds, I see my bullet fly
out of the corner of my watering eye.
An "X" unveiled by the morning light
has soared this soul right through the roof of the night.

There's no sensation to compare with this.
Suspended animation, a State of bliss

------------------
Schmit, GySg, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

In reference to Marilyn Manson's 'Man That You Fear' I don't see any relation to firearms. Maybe what was actually intended was 'The Reflecting God' (the song before MTYF). A very powerful song. In fact, the entire Anti Super CD is astounding.

How about 'Bikini Girls With Machine Guns' by the Cramps.

To the powers that be:
"Head like a hole
Black as your soul
I'd rather die
Than give you control"
NIN

- Ron V.

------------------

"Trigger Happy"-Weird Al Yankovic
The true "gun nuts" song. Depending on how you take it, you'll either be P.O.'d by the words or ROTFLYAO.

"Gimme Three Steps"- Lynard Skynard
What you ask for when a man with a gun finds you dancing with his wife!

Bad Bad Leroy Brown--Jim Croce
"He got a .32 gun in his pocket for fun..."

Lord have Mercy on a Country Boy--Don Williams
"There wasn't no place I couldn't go, with a .22 rifle and a fishin' pole."

Louisianna Saturday Night--Don Williams
"Waitin' in the front yard sittin' on a log, single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

"don't let 'em take your gun"
Grand Funk Railrod, off the good singin', good playin' album, 1976
good song!!!!

------------------
fiat justitia

longhaircsa@netscape.net

At the risk of covering ground already covered, I'll offer these few Firearms referrences fromthe music world:

Hank Williams Jr put out an album called "America: The Way I See It".. if you are a gun owner and you don't secretly love this album.. something is wrong. If you haven't heard it, go buy it.. if you can't identify with at least one song, I'll send you a check for the CD and I'llgive to someone as a gift.

Bruce Springstein (The Man, by the way) on his last album has a song about this guy who has a friend who gets killed, upon thinking of him one evening he "thinks" the following:

My Jesus,
your gracious love and mercy,
tonight I'm sorry would not fill....
My heart, like one good rifle,
and the name
of who I ought to kill.

On the borderline of pro/anti gun are the following:

Sting, on his last album had a song about a negligent discharge that kills a guy. I thought it was a gun safety song, my wife says it is an anti-gun song..

There is a Country duo that go by Blake and Brian. These guys are both pro-gun pro-hunting guys. In fact, they did a free concert last year for some disabled hunters in Alabama... Anyway they had a song that was supposed to be sung by a gun, the chorus was basincally "Why do I have to be a gun when Icould've been a bicycle or soemthing.."... a lot of local groups boycotted their stuff and protested radio stations that played it, but the song wasn't supposed to be anti-gun , it was supposed to the gun lamenting the irresponsible way in which it was being used. in the beginning of the song, "the gun" talks about its past glories (winning wars, saving lives, etc...) and regrets that it is now demonized and mis-used.

That's my contribution.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited March 17, 1999).]

Did anyone see the 80's secret agent spoof with Val Kilmer? I think the name was "Top Secret". Lots of gun songs in there the one I remember was "Skeet Shootin" -SCatt

Any other swing fans out there like Royal Crown Revue's "Zip Gun Bop"?

[This message has been edited by swingcatt (edited March 17, 1999).]

Not bad, but we missed some obvious ones.
How could anyone list Manson's "Man That You Fear" (classic, by the way) and miss the obvious ones like "Lunchbox" and "Get Your Gunn?"

That whistling theme song from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

"Mr. Saturday Night Special" by Skynyrd. OK, this is a silly, blatantly anti-gun song, but it should be mentioned.

"Out on Patrol" and "Tehran" by the Offspring. Anti war, but not necessarily anti-soldier, these are based on the occasional foolishness of politicians. Pretty obscure, but great songs.

"Big Man With a Gun" by Nine Inch Nails. Gun handling from the goblin's point of view.

"Aces High," "The Trooper" and "Run to the Hills" by IRON MAIDEN!

Finally, a question:
WHERE'S THE HENDRIX????

"Hey Joe" and "Machine Gun" ring a bell? These are some of the greatest rock and roll songs of all time, by a member of the 101st Airborne!

Back