guns in different calibers that have low felt recoil/muzzle flip

The H&K P7 series has a very low bore axis and gas retarded blowback, which combine to make for very low muzzle flip.

Great point. I shot one of these a few years back and forgot about it. Almost no muzzle flip and great hand warmers in a bind. They're not exactly common (or affordable) any longer.

Recoil

recoil is a problem, for pistols in pistol calibers the solution is usually with the shooter more than the gun.
Kind of true even for pistols in rifle caliber

Nah. Just not so. At least, it is not true enough to say "usually".
Maybe, though, you can give an example or two of what you mean.
YouTube is replete with videos of people who cannot handle recoil and plenty more of gun reviews and demos of people who can

Recoll vs Performance

I've gained a lot of experience in over 60 years of all types of shooting and hunting.IMHO...I choose the .270 WINCHESTER + 130gr. bullets.

Last edited:
2 come to mind: Sig 226 in 9mm and a Ruger LC9s.

The Sig has more of a push as the mass acts as a recoil integrator, moving more slowly. The Ruger when held firmly has little flip or noticible recoil.

... and the Beretta 8045 Cougar are both soft shooters. The Cougar's rotating barrel absorbs a good bit of the recoil...

The PX4 Storm immediately comes to mind. I recently got to spend an afternoon shooting one in the normally "snappy" .40 S&W. I was as surprised as I was pleased. Not just because it's a prettier gun than pictures do justice, but because it was such a soft shooter and had such a low learning curve.

I don't know that it's absorption so much as it is the direction of dissipation. While porting in other guns helps by applying a counter force downward at the muzzle, the rotating barrel of the PX4 bleeds off some of the recoil energy radially. It actually seemed to stabilize the recoil, making it less of a flip and more of a push. I can only imagine how gentle it would be in 9mm!

Of course, if I end up buying one then I will definitely be replacing those enormous safety levers with the low-profile decocker. Even if I liked having a manual safety on SA/DA guns, it just looks so much nicer.

I wanted a 380 pistol that my daughter could shoot easily. After researching I realized that a steel locked-breech design was what she needed. Finally a good deal on a Colt Government 380 presented itself. It is very soft-shooting, feels almost like a 32acp. We are very happy with it.

darkgael asks
Maybe, though, you can give an example or two of what you mean.
Those who have no trouble handling recoil can do so.
No need to cogitate over type of gun or load.
Those who can't handle recoil won't benefit as much from switching to other guns or calibers as they would from spending their resources learning to shoot better.
Recoil control is an acquired skill, like anything else.

An example.
New guy shows up at an action pistol match with their regular gear.
Sees what the high scorer is using and runs out before the next match to get the same thing.
Suffers disappointment with the results and runs out to buy something else.
Same thing - no improvement in spite of different gun, caliber, holster, 'etc.
Someone takes pity on them and shows them how to shoot better.
Little light goes on between their ears and they begin to zip up the score sheet.
I've lost count how many times I've seen that same scenario played and replayed.

Yup, here it comes again, one of my favorites:
"The gun is the least of it."
Ahh, I feel much better, now.
But don't mind me.
If ya' all want to talk "stuff" that's fun, too.

Last edited:
"Great point. I shot one of these a few years back and forgot about it. Almost no muzzle flip and great hand warmers in a bind. They're not exactly common (or affordable) any longer."

I first shot a P7 sometime in the 1980s, and was blown away at how little recoil and muzzle flip there was, how well they fit my hands, and how well I shot them.

I made it my life's purpose to get one. Well, maybe not my life's purpose, but damn I wanted one!

I finally managed to snag a P7PSP, one of the retired German police guns, when a bunch of them came into the United States maybe 10 or so years ago.

Price, IIRC, was in the mid $700s, which was very good.

I've shot it a fair amount, and keep it loaded in my gun safe as my "last stand" gun if someone induces me to open the safe.

While I agree that recoil management is an acquired skill, it is only realistic to recognize that different handgun designs transmit recoil to greater and lesser degrees.

But it's so subjective, shooter to shooter.
A discussion of what gun and caliber is best for reducing recoil can be very confusing, leading to contradictory opinions.
The more skillful one is, the less important the gun becomes.
So, I will continue to nag on the importance of good training and practice.
Saves a lot of money, too, not swapping guns around all the time, like some folks do.
Money better spent on taking instruction and buying ammo.
Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And interesting story on the subject:
Years ago, when everyone was still young and vigorous, a small group of us often stayed late after our local USPSA and NRA Action Pistol matches to play.
During one of these times, we decided to swap guns around to test our skills.
There was about eight or so of us with the usual mix of shootin' irons and calibers.
Not surprising, the folks who scored the highest at the matches were the least bothered by using different guns.
But the rest of us didn't suffer too much from it either.
Now, granted the group was the more enthusiastic and active shooters in the club to want to stay and continue playing.
But maybe that's the actual point.

The more skillful one is, the less important the gun becomes.

G.willikers I completely agree with you on this point. A committed shooter will tolerate and learn to deal with recoil unless physical condition will not allow it. For the rest, beginning with something that is more comfortable to shoot will improve their chances of acquiring the necessary skills to handle other guns. Discussion of commonly accepted "soft" shooting pistols gives us a chance to help new folks succeed. I also think too many try to achieve by buying stuff rather than paying their dues to learn stuff.

A committed shooter will tolerate and learn to deal with recoil unless physical condition will not allow it. For the rest, beginning with something that is more comfortable to shoot will improve their chances of acquiring the necessary skills to handle other guns. Discussion of commonly accepted "soft" shooting pistols gives us a chance to help new folks succeed. I also think too many try to achieve by buying stuff rather than paying their dues to learn stuff.

I too believe that you can train around recoil. However, you can also train around bad sights, a bad trigger, and more. The questions become (1) why would you want to, and (2) at your maximum level of training, could you do better, even if only slightly, with more accommodating hardware?

Sure, the answer to 1 in terms of recoil often involves a desire to increase the size, mass, or velocity of the projectile. I wouldn't fault that (at least within reason). However, should we fault people with that desire for wanting to do it on more accommodating hardware? I think trying to substitute technology for training is a separate problem. I think people of all skill levels could appreciate guns that shoot softer per caliber.

Back