Guns I Tend To Put In My Holsters......

My everyday carry is a PF9, soon to add my XDS 4.0 45acp to the rotation. My woods carry is my Sig 2022 40cal or my SR9.

Who or What are your adversaries? What would you need to defend yourself? Bears, Beavers, Cougars, Criminal and Mental, Radical Ideologist?

Why not pick your favorite weapon with one backup like you just stated. In the wild, or in the strange wild community of people you live in, big caliber is great, and a big magazine is preferable.....or a 9mm with defense ammo and an extra magazine, for sure!

For handguns, I carry 1911s and S&W revolvers. The gun I carry at work, where concealment is a major concern, is a S&W snubby, it was my BUG when I was a LEO. For general concealed carry it is one of several different 1911s, whatever I feel like at the moment, though I have a new Colt Wiley Clapp Commander out at David Clevinger's getting worked over. It's slotted for primary CC duty when it's finished. For "around the farm" carry I use a stainless Springfield TRP and I have a Savage M42 .410/.22mag that is my tractor gun. There is a Winchester M94 "Trapper" .30-30 by the kitchen door if something heavier is needed in a hurry. Of course, the safe has some other goodies stashed in it, just in case.;)

My walking around piece is a Taurus TCP 380 because I actually hate carrying a gun so I want the smallest and lightest model with something resembling decent stopping power. The two pistols available in my home are a S&W Model 39 and a 2" Model 64.

I don't really ever carry anything else. If I hiked or walked in the woods I might be tempted to carry a Model 58 as the 41 Magnum is the biggest revolver I can actually shoot. The 44 Magnum is just over the top and I can't control it in DA fire. But it doesn't matter since I no longer walk in the woods.

I don't ride horses, either. Or have huge tracts of land to inspect from an ATV. Except for the three specified all my other guns live in the safes unless they are at the range.

I started carrying in 1995, and have had a few different pistols in that role over the years. Currently, my primary carry is a 1911 Lightweight Commander in 45ACP. Last fall I picked up an M&P40 to try out, and have carried it on occasion.

mk70ss said:
. . . . I spend a lot of time in the saddle riding the Tennessee back country and I always carry. In my holster, is almost always a .45 Colt SAA Uberti El Patron or a .357 S&W 686 2 1/2 inch revolver. Both are as reliable as a tire iron, accurate, and sufficiently powerful for any task I would encounter. My everyday CCW is, and has been since I bought it a year ago, a Glock 43 9 mm. It's light, slim, and reliable. All the rest of my guns are range toys or some used to dispatch pests on my ranch.

What are your go to, everyday guns?
By happenstance more than by choice, I'm more of an urban dweller, and don't get to spend much time in the back country of, well, anywhere. That means that open carry isn't an option and that my everyday gun has to be light and easily concealable, with the caveat that I'm somewhat in the "carry the biggest thing you can conceal" camp. The compromise I reached there is the Glock 19.

When carrying around the house the guns most likely to be on me (in a holster) are my .45LC S&W 625MG or my .45ACP SIG P250 Compact, though the 9mm P290RS sometimes gets the nod. When in a state where I can carry, the P250 and P290 come with me 90% of the time, though occasionally my 625MG or a Taurus 85CH come instead (5 or 6 years ago my list would have been the 85CH IWB most of the time sometimes paired with a S&W 442 in a pocket holster, with a S&W 1911SC coming occasionally and before that a Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro). Out of the current guns, the P290 rides in a Theis hybrid (tuckable IWB), the P250 rides in a a Foxx IWB (tuckable) hybrid with only one belt clip, and the 625 in a carved BH24 russet Black Hills Leather open OWB holster (https://blackhillsleather.com/slide-carved-holster.html#.V-Z0sSS0e0I), though I've recently purchased a Galco Summer Comfort IWB for it and like it when carrying around the house and suspect it will see more carry outside the house in that more easily concealed holster. I picked up a new CZ P01 on Thursday which I suspect will probably become both my main HD and main CCW gun before long, I haven't yet decided which holster to order for it yet (other than a tuckable IWB, though I may try a tuckable appendix carry IWB this time).

Depending on the location my woods/trail guns has typcially been a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag (grizz country) or Ruger GP 100 .357 Mag. This year will probably signal the start of my Ruger Vaquero in .357 as my woods/trail gun. I'm just more accurate with it than any of my other wheel guns, plus its so purdy.

For CCW by far most often its a 9mm Glock, 19 or 26.

Back