Guns and First Aid Kits

Those are good things to point out. It is anti-intuitive not to pull that steel rod out of the victim's chest. But with training you learn that pulling the rod out is the worst thing you can do at the scene, unless there is a very good reason to.

My own idea on first aid is to do the major things to keep someone alive until an ambulance arrives - which is generally going to take no more than 30 minutes most of the places where I go. That is why I picked a first aid kit that was heavy on the large trauma wound stuff and not band aids.

I may start a separate thread on bug out bags though, that is a whole nother thing and quite interesting to me.

JohnKSa
I don't know what your level of training is so I wasn't commenting directly on your actions, only to the forum in general. I was just using your post as a springboard, so to speak [etc]
Yep; gotcha.

And on the same lines, as you probably know - but for those who do not; same general rule applies to removing motorcycle helmets.

Thanks butch for reminding me of stuff which needs attention.

I'll add gas masks to my bag, seems like there is often smoke,
and fumes, and noxious vapors when things go freaky.

EC

KHarmon

Because you have been going to wrecks to rescue people for 11 years you have my undying respect. I have been to one, and that is enough for me. I am better prepared now if I have to go to another one, but I am certainly not looking for it.

Thanks for the compliment....going to accident scenes, especially bad ones, is one of my least favorite ones. One of the scariest things to do is walk up to a car on a major accident and see a car seat in the back seat!!!! :eek: I've been lucky to a certain degree....I've never worked a major injury or death on an infant, the youngest fatality due to a car accident I've worked was a 5 year old and that one about killed me...my oldest son had started 1st grade that year. I hope nobody comes up on a major accident...but by the sheer number of cars on the road in todays modern society...it's almost inevitable. It's for that reason that I think everyone should at least carry some basics with them...it may be a total stranger, or you yourself may become involved in an accident. I haven't heard the statistic in a long time...but there used to be something written that on average, every licensed driver if the US will be involved in a traffic accident sometime in their life. That includes fender benders and major accident. As they always say...its much better to be safe than sorry!!!!

Again hat's off to you Butch, what's truly mind blowing is the amount of people that would drive on by or turn around and go the other way. It's up to the few decent folk to set the standard for the rest to follow.
I came up on an Evil Kenievil impersonator back Nov and had to use my bag, here's a few things that I found useful:
6" or 8" ace bandage wraps, you can use them for pressure bandages
Isreali Field Dressing- this may be a toughy to find I got them from my unit's medic but if you find them GET EM!! They are an all inclosed hands free pressure dressing.
Heavy duty latex gloves, not the cheapy's you'll be working around broken glass
Good medic safety scissors, again not the cheapy's, the one's they advertize cutting through pennies.
3 words for you, Curlex,Curlex, Curlex- you can't have enough! I carry four 6" rolls on my flight gear in case of GSWs.
Duct tape or 100Mph tape- when hasn't this come in handy?
Small notebook and pen to take down info and pass to medics
Good flashlight-I use a Streamlight Stinger but Sure Fire or a Petzl Head lamp would be great too.
SAM's Splint- it's a rolled up piece of aluminum encased in foam that you can bend every which way to form a splint- I'll post an example pic when I get out of the sand box.
Bottled water and a wooby (poncho liner for you civi-minded folks) pic it up from the surplus store.

There are a few other ancilary items that I won't go into as they've been covered but there have been some great points brought up. Primarily, bring what you need to the fight but don't buy an SUV to accomodate your blow out bag. All the things I listed are in a Camelback Mule under the back seat of my truck. Also other things, Flares, Jumper Cables, Fire Extinguisher- my 2 bits on this if a fire does break out while you are still inside working on wounded then yeah attempt to put it out, but if the casualty is a safe distance away and upwind of the fire, let that bastard burn! You're primary consideration is the patient's [and your] safety.

Lastly on the matter of those clotting bandages a word of caution- and this may sound wierd but I watched this happen over here with one of our troops. Those bandages are impregnated with a derivative of shrimp shells- ain't mother nature great? - anyway if you're going to apply that bandage, prior to if able ask the victum if they are allergic to shellfish. DON'T LAUGH (I'm kinda chuckling about it myself) but seriously if they are and you stick that deal on them, you could possibly cause a hell of alot more complications. Our guy swole up so bad they almost had to crake him. So if it's a puncture wound I'd cram curlex into it and put a pressure bandage over it.

Sorry for the novel guys but a great topic.

Back