Gunbroker.com ??

Hoosier_Daddy

Was looking for a barrel for my shotgun. Found two through gunbroker.com with a very attractive price. So I staart registering today with gunbroker.com. I don't mind giving out some personal information but now they want a copy of my drivers license AND a utility bill. I can understand the drivers license for proof of age, I've done that for online ammo purchase but a utility bill too???? My protect my identity from theft alarms are ringing to me big time.

I just recently had two different credit card fraud alerts and am looking for your input on how secure you feel gunbroke.com is.

And I now see I posted this in the wrong catagory and moderators, I apologize for not thinking ahead of time. Still new here and learning, albiet slowly.

Last edited:
You might talk to their CS and ask why this additional ID is required - are you trying to pay with a check or something?

IIRC when I'd signed up, it was simply CC info, none of the other ID you mention.

I found a shotgun barrel I wanted to buy. The seller only accepts money order or check. Since I wasn't yet registered with gunbrocker.com I started to register. Part of the registration is they send you an email with a link to verify the account. I clicked on the email verification link and get this automatic notice that they cannot verify my address and require the additional information.

I've lived here for 8 years without this kind of hassel. This late winter I purchashed a pistol online from fom Buds Gun Shop without this kind of info requirement. Gunbroker.com's send in a drivers license AND A UTILITY BILL requirement made me just stop from purchashing for now and brought out my question about their proceedure being a bit too invasive. Or is this now the way things are with anything gun purchase related?

Last edited:
I've bought dozens of guns on Gun Broker, & when I registered, I didn't need to do a utility bill...

you weren't registering for gun pal or something were you ??? I typically buy from sellers with good positive feed back, & either use credit card, or almost everything has been with a postal money order... & I've had nothing but good exchanges... I've also never had a security issue, but gun broker hasn't got my credit card numbers, those are given to the sellers at the time of purchase

something seems goofy ???

Just do like thousands of us have done and Boycott GunJoker...:barf::barf: try to contact the seller direct:D.. I have done this several times cause gunJoker gave me the same trouble they are giving you.

Yes I did try for a long time to contact real people to question the situation.. all I could ever get was automated,robotic replys

Never had this problem with GB. Is it possible your area updated its 911 response system, and some address and GPS disagreements are rearing up?

Because I had exactly that problem with the power company at my new place.

Hoosier_Daddy
Gunbroker.com ??

Your address that you used to register with Gunbroker must match your credit card address. Otherwise, they will request additional documents (DL, utility bill...etc) to confirm you are who you are and you live where you say you live.

With that said, GB is one of the most trusted names in the firearm & related accessories auction sites. Think about it... They require this of everyone who registers, including the seller. GB also back their transactions up to $500 in the event of fraud. Finally, a lot of sellers (merchants and individual collectors) do not have a merchant account with the credit card companies, hence they only transact with USPS money order, personal checks with long clearing periods, and discreet PayPal payments.

I have made over 50 transactions via GB as buyer and seller and have NEVER (knock-on-wood) run into a fraudulent party. Granted there were a couple of occasions where the seller slightly misrepresented the goods, but that's to be expected of used items.

I kinda miss GB. I had bought several items off there and had very good feedback. But when I placed a winning bid on a pistol, I had to back out because my friend needed some bail money. I tried explaining it to the seller but he got overly ticked off and got me banned (BorNi Arms in Oregon).

I've bought 2 rifles and some other stuff from Gunbrokers and everything went very smoothly. I didn't have to jump thru hoops to get registered though. No requests for utility bills or anything like that. Both rifles I bought were incredible deals and since they were C&R units, got shipped directly to my house.

+1 on the check handling being the cause of this. Try using a CC as the payment method, and I bet that it will go through w/o needing those other documents. Just be sure to match the registration address w/ the CC billing address.

same thing happened to me tonight...went to go change my email address linked to the acct and somehow made some wrong keystrokes..next thing I know my acct gets locked up and flagged as fraudulent...they want a copy of my DL and utility bill too....:mad: F that!

Sorry Gunbroker.com, your requirement of a copy of my drivers license AND utility bill just peeves me off.
I may well use your website for searches but I will try contacting the seller directly for any purchase.

As a resident alien, I have to provide 3 months of utility bills when I purchase a gun. Not too bad a requirement but it does hinder impulse buying, which has probably saved me some money. ;-)

Registering with GunBroker is very easy,if you have a verifiable Email address.
If you have internet service provided by say your cable company or phone company,the Email address that the provider gave you when your account started would be the one you want to use.
The reason,IMO,GunBroker uses the security measures they do,is to prevent fraudulent purchases,especially anything pertaining to firearms ,a rash of bogus buys would just add fuel to the fire for the anti's.

When I registered I used my comcast email address. I wouldn't think there would be any problem with a comcast email account.
But anyway I went to gunbroker.com web site and voiced my opinion on their feedback link. They quickly responded that they were able to verify my account through an alternate service. So all is fine now, as it should be.

Gunbroker

Thought I would resurrect this old thread. Went through the same BS as others have noted. I filed a complaint against them with the BBB for trying to continue to bill me for nothing. I've come to find out there are a lot of people that have done the same as well as complained to the State attorney General. I'm amazed this place is still in business. I'm fifty years old and have never ran across a more corrupt on line business. Do yourself a favor and stay away from these guys. If anyone wants the details, just send me a pm. I'd be more than happy to provide them. Thanks and good shooting!!!

Yep, wait until they try to charge you $2 a month just to belong. I told them to kiss my you know what. They gave me some BS about selling on there and I NEVER sold one item on there. I finally quit trying to talk to them and never went back. I can't believe someone hasn't shut them down.

Yep, wait until they try to charge you $2 a month just to belong.

I've belonged to GB for three years and have never paid such a fee. Only $ I've ever paid is auction sale fees as a seller.

Back