Gun Tests Magazine: Big Test Coming

Actually , I think asking owners is a better idea. If I buy a bad gun , or just an average one I will tell you . It is not like I am telling you the only date I could get to the prom was my sister.. If I get a bad or finicky gun I am happy to share that info so you can get a better one. I own glocks and sigs and HK's and 1911's and each has a stong and weak spot. Am I not more likely to tell you the truth and let you ask many others that also own and shoot the same gun.

Within a few years of it's debut (no matter how rocky in revisionist retrospect :)) Glock had won several large military contracts and been given a NATO stock number. Can Steyr say the same?

You Steyr guys are startin to sound like HK P7 fanatics. :)

Well,

I guess my perspective is a little different.

Being in the pistolsmithing business i can tell you what has really been going on.

It used to be that 80% of everything you saw was 1911 related. I would go to a show,set up,and 80% of the people coming through wanted something done or added on to their 1911. Here within the last year and a half or so,I would guess that has changes to around 70% going Glocks way. It really surprised me until I thought about it for a while.
The system is simple,the price is right,and when near 70% of law enforcement in America (67% is the actual figure I beleive) goes to the Glock it is natural that the public will flock to them.

Ok, now, this from a guy that works on pistols everyday and is an armorer.

I have yet to see a blown out Glock in any caliber.

Glock always is improving their product. Look at the new barrels. They are now throating and chamfering everything at the factory.

All Glocks have a 17lb recoil spring,so I dont know how the m19 would have a problem.

I have yet to see or hear about a Glock go full auto. Once the striker is released the gun has be connected and the trigger reset for anything to happen.

Glock did not release the m36 until they were reliable.

The next 26 or 27 with a broken guide rod will be the first.

Regarding the HS2000.

The price has dropped by $100.00 at the wholesale level since they were first introduced. They have a very thin extractor,which I have seen one break after a few hundred rounds. I hope they will adress this, and come up with a more durable extractor.

I can not comment on the Stery,as I have not had one in the shop or know anybody that owns one.

Just my pair of nickels worth.

Try this with a Glock the next time you are at the range.

This usually won't happen with the 20/21/29/30..but it usually will with the others:

Load the gun.

Press down on the top of the chamber, notice how it squashes down and doesn't spring back up?

Now, pull the trigger.

The gun will misfire.

This is common with Glocks.

Every Glock I've owned with the exception of my Glock 20 and Glock 21 would do this.

I believe it's possible to have a perfectly fine gun and still have no agencies that use it. If you really need to run with the crowd then wait for those big agencies to adopt it :) Whether they do or not, does not take away from the quality of a pistol, although it might be rough turning a profit :)

Back