Gun Talk in the Workplace

STLRN,
Oops! Should have taken the time to note your profile :o
Boy, to be a fly on the wall during some of your coffee breaks....

------------------
ff ...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make.

I run a branch of an oilfield rental tool company here in La. On my office door i have 2 signs "every 3rd salesman thru this door is shot, which # are you?" and "this premises gaurded by shotgun every 3rd night,which night is it?". I also have my NRA sticker,and North American Hunting Club sticker tacked to my bulliten board. On my desk I have a demilled grenade with a tag that has a #1 hooked to the pin with "Complaint department, take a number" under it, along with reloading manuals, Midway catalogs, and an occasional pistol or rifle. I do get questioned alot, quite a few strange looks from time to time, and more than once I have made stronger customer relationships after I gave em 5 rounds of 06 I had reloaded to try in their guns...BTW I live and work in the same building, one night the local PD stopped by and asked if everything was ok (not knowing i lived there),after seeing my desk and gun safe, they said it had to be, and went back to their patrol. :)

foxfire
take the anti out for a day of shooting (not him) he will definately resist the invite but hey, emphesize(sp ck) to him you don't want or are going to try and convert him. you would just like to show him how you enjoy some of your time off. as for the work place, the only non gun people we had left! everyone else either owns, likes but doesn't own or ccw's. what i find humorous is thata situation arose and an anti who happened to be with us turned to me and ask "you do have a gun with you?"
i respond don't you?

Tom Gresham broadcasts his "Gun Talk", very interesting show with good subjects & information, each Sunday afternoon. I think it was in early October that a listener called in with his experience of guns in the work place. This person lives in NorthWestern Arkansas & works for the US Post Office. He had just attended a seminar about violence in the work place. The presenter said that if you are a member of the NRA, wore NRA or gun related things, and talked about guns in the work place, then you were going to go "postal", my words not the callers. No amount of response to refrute would change this womans mind about this. The caller said that many in his office went deer hunting and as they are entering deer hunting season, this and guns and are the main subject of conversation.

jimc,
Great idea, about taking an 'anti' out to shoot - I need to practice hitting moving targets ;) ;) ;)

RAThomas,
I plan never to use the word 'postal' again, it's hurt RKBA almost as much as Klinton....

------------------
ff ...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make.

This may come as a shock to some of you, but there are many people wearing our nation's uniforms who are anti's. I know this, because I am on active duty (Navy) and work alongside quite a few of them. I did do my part on a couple of them, though, and one of them is now an avid shooter who works part-time as an armed security guard.

But too many of the guys in my shop think that the average Joe out there ought not have a weapon at his disposal. I have found that the best way to change someone's mind is to ask questions that force them to think rather than simply forcefully stating your opinion. If you do that, regardless of how right you are, they simply have to offer back their own opinions with similar resolve, and you will have reached an impasse. I usually don't bring the subject up, as I am the shop "gun nut", but anytime a story makes the news we end up having a discussion about it. I usually try to go the following route:

1.) Do I have the right to be secure in my own home and to protect my family in that environment? (usually replied to in the affirmative)
2.) Should my right to be secure, and to protect my family, be restricted to the home only, or should that also be the case when we are out and about minding our own business? (also usually replied to in the affirmative)
3.) Should I retain the right to use deadly force against anyone who is attempting to use deadly force against me, a member of my family, or any other person if I am able to come to that person's aid?
4.) Should I retain the right to carry a firearm in a concealed manner in order to make myself available to defend myself, a member of my family, or anyone else who might need my help?

Questions such as these, when posed in a non-threatening manner, will generally cause the other person to at least stop and think for a minute. And once you get them past emotion and into the realm of actual thought and reason, you are on your way to winning the victory on the most important battlefield in this war: the space between their ears.

on a related note:
anyone know how to spoof the companies firewall so there is no log of web connections to this site?

dZ

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"

Jeff,

I've found that the person in a conversation who is asking the questions almost always gets to determine the direction that it flows. Try it out in almost any situation (doesn't have to be gun-related) and see if that isn't the case.

But be warned: it isn't always effective with spouses! Especially with wives! :)

The president of our company recently made a trip east to visit me in my office. (HQ is in Silicon Valley, I'm in VA.) When I'm there, he usually takes me golfing, so I asked him if he would be interested in trying out my sport. He jumped at the chance, so I took him and his son to the range. We shot just about everything from .22's to .45's, revolvers, pistols, rifles. They both had a blast, so to speak. I guess this tells you what kind of atmosphere we have at our workplace concerning guns.

dZ:

I don't know of a way to spoof the firewall, but you could try the numerical address for www.thefiringline.com:

http://216.199.9.84/

It will still show up on the firewall, and they can still go to that site and see what you're visiting. But it wouldn't be as noticable.

Other than only visiting from your home PC, I don't know of a way to keep it hidden.

Back