Gun show vs. gun store prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLB

Inactive
We have a gun and knife show arriving in our city this weekend, my question is: Besides the obvious better selection, do the prices at shows tend to be better than you can get at your local dealer?

At our local shows... you have to look around to really find a bargain. In most cases, the prices at the show are higher than at most of the shops. People think "Hey! Gunshow... I can get a deal!" They just assume that the gunshow price is a bargain. Gunshow dealers often play on that.

Research the items you are interested in before you go to the show. That's the only way to really know if you're getting a bargain. Good Luck!

DLB - Gun shows here in Portland, OR seldom have bargains. The only thing they offer is an incredible selection. Most Gun Shops attending the gunshow have identical prices at their stores. The buys are in accessories and ammo. Elvis paintings and blow guns do pretty well.

Greetings, Here in Bama Land the gun show
prices normally run higher than at the gun
shops. Then again, it depends on what you
are looking for? The frontrunner's such as
Sig's, Glock's, Kimber's, Sringfield's,
Smith's, some Colt's, Para Ordance, and
the like; you ain't gonna get cheap !!!

------------------
Ala Dan

I am a little suprised at these responses. Here in VA, the gun show prices are a LOT better. As a matter of fact, if I am interested in a gun, I will always wait for the next show. I don't know if the gun shows around here are very cheap, or the shops are just very expensive, but there is a noticeable difference.

I'm with lowrider on this one. Most of the shows I've attended in No. VA have very good prices, especially on the big names, Glock, Sig, S&W, Ruger, etc. At worst, the prices are the same as in the local shops. And you can always find a bargain on a used handgun or rifle. But, like everyone says, be sure you know what the going prices are or you won't know if you're getting a good deal or not.

I guess it depends on where you are. The gun shows in Austin, Tx have MUCH LOWER prices than the area guns shops, so do the ones in San Antonio. Yet when you go to Dallas, the show prices from Bachman are along the same lines as they would be if you went into their store. This is good in that it forces prices down at other tables also.

Reputable dealers charge the same at shows as at their stores. Having said that, I've never bought a gun at a gun show and have never seen my low-priced dealer waste his time at one. He has more business than he can handle without packing his wares off to a gun show.

He quoted me $745 recently for a new Bushmaster; they were considerably higher than that at the Eastman show in Atlanta.

The situation in Central Va. is much the same as the posts from eastern and northern Va. Gun shops in Va. tend to be very high with a few exceptions. The exceptions also appear at local gun shows with some fairly competitive pricing.

In general, it appears it must be great to live in Texas...a gun loving state with the lowest prices in the country. I notice Bachmann is not publishing prices on the web anymore...that's bad because they could always be used as a comparison.

Gun shows or gun shops?...Neither, try the internet. Until Shumer, Boxer, and friends shut it down, this is the best way to legally purchgase any new firearm. In addition to Bachmann, I have used Jersey City Armory several times, and they are great. There are many others coming on line as the nation switches it's buying habits.

Big G, not to worry, Bachman still has a multiple full page ad run in every Gun List and Shotgun News that does have prices. I suspect that it is trouble keeping up with the web prices on a daily basis. Bachman, David 'Doc' Avery, Guns Warehouse, will all be at the big Houston Astrohall gun show Nov 20-21. I will be wandering through the nearly 3000 tables myself, come on down.

I just went to a gun show last weekend here in Maryland. The majority of the tables were simply gun store owners. I think the fact that alot of knife enthusiasts come out to the shows plays a big part in gun sales. I went looking for guns and bought a knife. Im sure ot works the other way around as well.

But as others stated. The gun shops seemed to have the same prices as in the stores. It didnt impress me much. The best of all the gun shops in southern maryland is called "Select fire" they have better deals year round than what i seen at the show. If you want a great price call R Guns in IL. They had the best price on the gun i bought today. A sig 2340 for $399
www.selectfire.com

R Guns Inc. 847-428-3569

Good Luck !

------------------
TIM : )

In TX (San Antonio, Austin to be more specific), I find that there is a stratification in gun stores. There
are the big name good old boy gun stores
that charge close to list price.
They have nice selections but sell to
good old boys who huff and puff with them,
casual newbies or up-scale yuppies who
get ripped off (ha ha).

Then there are decent stores that are pretty
honest and will meet or be real close
to the show prices. About 50-50 on
whether the good show price tables are
also gun stores.

So all in all, if you have a decent store
you can match show prices pretty closely.

My advice - do a show, do several shows
and read Gun Lists or SGN.

Then go shopping

In about 8 miles on Loop 410 I can
find about $100 variation on common
guns in alot of cases.

bye

Thanks for the replies. I went to the gun show today I mentioned in the orginal post. Of the three pistols I knew the local prices on, all were anywhere between $20 and $40 cheaper at the show. Once you add on parking and admission cost, not a huge difference. Plus having to wait for the next show to come around.
I did find a good bargain on a Ruger Red Label shotgun I recently purchased NIB locally. One vendor had the same gun NIB for $140 less. Now that is worth the price of admission!

To me gun shows are like going to a movie only better. I spend $5 to get in an it can take 8 hours to see a big show like Tulsa or 4 hours for a small show like Dallas Market Hall. Entertainment dollars well spent. The only show I hit that charges for parking is Houston Astrohall and it takes 5 or 6 hours to do the show plus the 170 mile drive each way, but it is worth it. It is the only show I go to and see a transferable copy or a Beretta 93R, or a transferable GE mini-gun, a 3 pistol set from Browning of all renaissance pistols 9mm, .380, and .25, I even saw a pre-64 Win mod 70 in 300 H&H mag, brand new in the wood packing crate with all the papers and brochures.

Here in Southern California, gun shows have mixed prices... Some show vendors will be cheaper than stores, and some will be the same or higher... It just depends on what you are looking for... I usually ask a show dealer the prices on a few items that I already know how much they cost at a store to see if he is given a good deal in general...

YES AND NO to your question. you have to remember that the dealers have to pay alot for a space. so you make find a good deal you may not. I have a local gun store i go to and te owner and i have become great friends so he gives me great deals. Also he uselley will have gun show prices all year round witch is nice. The only good think for a gun show is to buy large cases of ammo that is on sale,other hard to find good. AND REMEMBER TO BARGIN!!!!

As another one of those good ole SOUTH TEXAS BOYs (HOOYAA to the HILL COUNTRY!) I can say that the gun show prices are significantly lower than the gun shop prices here. I have seen Sigs running as much as $200 less expensive at gun shows than a local gun stores. You have to consider that SHOPs have long term overhead costs that SHOW tables do not. This may be one reason for the price variation.

Most people go to shops and pay way to much for their weapons. Most do not do their research, and make the mistake of going buy MSRP's posted in magazines. I have found that what ever the MSRP is, knock off at least $200-$250!!! and you got a good deal. This has worked with every SIG I have ever owned!

With less expensive big name manufactures this may not be the case. Glocks for example run for about $400 NEW you won't find one NEW for $200. I don't worry about it though cause I will never buy a GLOCK!

Judging buy other posts I see that it is different from state to state. Here in the GREAT STATE of TEXAS there are FOUR GUNs to every ONE PERSON! This may also have somehting to do with it...

------------------
SURE SHOT

All I can offer is this. Price is more than what you see on the tag when it comes to guns. Will the guy at the show help you with any warranty work, or leave you on your own? Will the guy at the show help you select the right gun or will he just say here it is, take it or leave it? Will the guy at the show have a half a cup of black waiting on the counter for you when you walk up? Will the guy a the show have any info on where is the best place to shoot? Will the guy at the show let you hang around and kill time/swap stories? Will the guy at the show invest in your community, or just take your money? Will the guy at the show bargin hard with another customer over that pristine Smith Model 19 the other customer wants to trade in, just because he knows that you are always in the market for a mint 19? Will he try to stick it to you if he does make a deal, or will he pass that on to you? Does the guy at the show call you when someting new comes in to give you first crack?
I don't want to come down too hard on the guy at the show. The guy at the show is on our side. My order of purchase is local dealer, show,retailer, mail order. In answer to your question, now that I am off the soap box. Some prices are higher, some are lower. It pays to shop around. Even prices among dealers can vary. I paid $100.00 less for my Marlin Cowboy II at shop "A" just because they hadn't had any interested buyers in a year on it. Shop "B" just got theirs in and didn't want to deal on it. It does pay to shop around, a little dickering doesn't hurt either. Just dicker wisely. The worst thing to say is "Well so-and-so on the internet sells them for xxx". That is guaranteed 100% to get you no response.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.
http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/can.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back