Gun safes

I keep two chainsaws in my garage / shop. Both are easily accessible.

But, they are never fueled until I'm ready to use them.

I knew there was a good reason to leave the fuel tanks dry. ;)

jag2
I was watching a YouTube video about how easy it was to break into a gun safe. He used an angle grinder to cut off the side.
No gun safe, or any safe for that matter, is bugler proof. They are designed to deter and slow down the criminal. Most of the time, they do that job just fine.

after i bought my safe i started locking my carbide blades and grinding wheels in it too, if you have tools you probably have what is needed to break into your own safe, think about it.

Over the years I've thought about a "real" safe but have never bought one. I only own a very few guns (right now 8 handguns and one shotgun). None of my guns are high end brands or models, and total market value for all of them together is probably no more than $4K tops, so it never made much sense to me to spend several thousand on a safe. I use a GunVault bolted into my heavy dresser just to secure some loaded handguns from curious grandchildren, a small box store "safe" that probably doesn't weigh 150 lbs. to store the rest of the handguns, and a wall mounted Shotloc for the 12 gauge pump, again, to keep it safe from visiting grandchildren but still be accessible by me. But I do have a rider on my home insurance which lists all of my guns so that if stolen I am covered for the loss. My guns are tools and have little sentimental value to me so I didn't think it worthwhile to invest a lot in physical security. Maybe when I win the lottery and start buying up gun after gun I will make the effort to find a really good safe.

A safe is just the last step to deterring burglars and thieves. We have motion activated flood lights, a monitored alarm system which includes alarms on access points and motion detectors, and a separate "nanny cam" to act as an security-type camera where my firearms are stored. I get a tweet when anybody moves in that area and can view the area live from anywhere. https://canary.is/

I also don't advertise or show off my firearms to any but a very select few.

I just spent 4 weeks looking at and researching safes. To paraphrase what was said above, the amount of security you receive in a safe is directly proportional to the amount of money you spend. They are correct! I started out with a budget of $1000.00 before my research, In the middle of my research I quickly raised that amount to 1600.00 and in the end spent 2000.00. I still didn't purchase what I felt was enough security, but it was better than the oak gun cabinet with thin glass doors! I also installed a camera in the same room as the safe which alerts my phone of motion in the room. My safe weighs a thousand pounds and is lag bolted to the concrete with 1/2 inch diameter concrete lag bolts 4 inches long. The only way in would be on the side of the safe and any thief willing to take that long and that much effort for a few guns would just shock me. I think I got less than I wanted but probably much more than I need. A coupe of bucks, a few watches and a handful of guns isn't exactly pro thief territory. It keeps the guns safe from the grandkids, fire, and will stop any smash and grab type robberies,

Funny, my research showed the opposite. Whether a 800 safe, or 3000 liberty... It will be 12 gauge steel. 10 at best. Really not much difference. You are just paying for the pretty automotive car finish on the safe. If you truley want to separate yourself and get a "real" safe you need to pony up and get a Sturdy safe or something with at least 1/4" steel.

Yes and your going to pay a lot more than 2000 for it.

Edit. I just packaged out the same Sturdy safe with the same features my safe has. of course the Sturdy safe is much thicker. Over $5000.00.

Right. And whether you have a 1000 Sams club safe or $3500 liberty, a burgler is can get into it in 5-10 mins, depending on location of safe and whether it's bolted down etc. Point being, there really is no point spending more than 1000 on a safe unless you step up to a Sturdy or something. The rest are all RSCs, and you are paying for how pretty they are.

I would love to find a 1/4" steel safe (door and body) WITHOUT the fire insulation in the $1,500 price range. I can't' imagine the cost of steel should raise the price that much.

One of the nice things about Sturdy safes is you can order them without all the bells and whistles, and of course no fire proofing. Depending on the size, I'm not sure if you can get down as low as you mentioned, but you may not have to add that much to your budget?

Bill

Back