Gun safes

jag2

I was watching a YouTube video about how easy it was to break into a gun safe. He used an angle grinder to cut off the side. Got me to wonder, does anyone have any real life experience where a gun safe saved the day when someone broke into their home? Seems like most home break ins are quick grab and runs. Some one would have to know you had a bunch of guns and have a plan to open it, knowing how long you would be away and be quiet enough to not alert any neighbors. That all seems pretty remote to me. I can see keeping kids and grand kids from getting there hands on something but I don't think you need a thousand pound safe to do that. I know safety from fire is another consideration but again, how heavy does it need to be to accomplish that.

My home was burgled 3 years ago. The thief got a large sledge hammer and various prying tools from my garage, and he apparently worked on the safe for some time, but never got in. He had to have made a lot of noise. After that, the safe was too damaged to be opened normally, so I got a locksmith to work on it. He used a powerful cutting wheel and a large crowbar for maybe 45 minutes before he was able to pry it open. This was a medium safe of maybe 400 pounds. It definitely saved my guns.

There are safes, (IIRC AMSEC) where a concrete slurry is poured into the walls once the safe is installed adding a lot of weight, mass, and theft protection.

In a nutshell, when it comes to safes, it's all about the weight.

The more the better. I'm looking for a new gun vault in the near future. I want one as close to 2K lbs. as possible.

Some of the "safes" being sold in big box stores are nothing more than a thick walled soda can.

If you knock on the side of it and it sounds tinny, just move on.

95% of "safes" you see, are not safes at all. They are in fact RSCs (residential storage containers) and the average rating for them is 5 minutes to get into WITHOUT power tools. They are most all 10 to 12 gauge steel as well. Sturdy is one company that makes something a burgler will have some difficulty with. as far a tjeft protection, there isn't much difference between a $500 stack on, and a $2500 liberty unfortunately. There's vids on YouTube showing how easy it is to open a generic gun safe.

I have a famous brand gun safe. It is large and extremely heavy. It has no exposed hinges. How could anyone break into it in five minutes without power tools?

Im a fan of sturdy safe myself. I have a couple of security systems they would have to get through before they can make it to the safe. And with mine Im very confident with the safe.

any safe is better than no safe. The amount of protection it gives you is directly proportional to the amount of money it costs you.

I bought mine more for fire protection then theft.
It would require some time and effort as well as noise to open.
However like all things if someone wants it bad enuf they will get it.

However being behind a locked door bolted down and pritected by 80 or so lbs of flesh eating pit bull come on in grab a drink take your time and have fun.

06f70138c35ac9eb1808a1be1041577b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a famous brand gun safe. It is large and extremely heavy. It has no exposed hinges. How could anyone break into it in five minutes without power tools?

There are videos showing how a well-placed smack from a sledge hammer on a corner can crack the welds allowing a pry bar to open it up.

A couple of things about the videos you will find on this.

1. The safe is not bolted to the ground and is usually outside or in the middle of a large warehouse where it is easy to push on its back and start prying. Putting a safe tucked away inside of a closet and bolting it to the ground will add substantial time to a break-in;

2. Most thieves don't come equipped with an electric grinder, extension cord and additional grinding wheels, large pry bars, sledge hammers and/or a cutting torch. Not unless they know you have a cache of valuable guns in a safe already.

3. Most thieves who break into offices or homes are smash-and-grab types who are mainly looking for tv's, electronics, laptops, phones and jewelry if they get lucky. They are not going to take the time to tackle a safe....at least not right then.

Having said all of this, I still think I need a bigger and slightly heavier duty safe. Problem is, the more steel you want, the price goes up tremendously.

When it comes to buying a gun safe, buy the best that you can afford. They hold their value very well if you buy quality.

Take good care of it and don't beat it up, and years down the road when you decide to sell it for whatever reason, chances are good you will get most of your investment back, if not all of it.

And remember this: Safes are like storage sheds. You really can't buy one too big. ;)

If you don't fasten it down, one or two guys could pick it up and walk off with it.

OP -best way to get the most for your money is to buy a quality used safe from a dealer or locksmith. These are generally trade-ins because someone needed a bigger safe (happens to all of us eventually). You should be able to get a safe with better features used for the budget you have for new.

When I first started looking for my first safe years ago, I went to a couple of locksmiths. Both are well known in the area and have large stores.

The lowest price that they offered was $7000.

At the time, I didn't have $7000 worth of stuff to put in it.

I opted to go with a little less than they offered and am still proud of it.

I now have 3 safes, all are different width but the same height, or close enough.

They are mounted side by side in a built in recessed area where only the front is visible and each is bolted to a concrete slab and each have approximately 300-400 pounds of weight added to the bottoms.

If anyone needs some extra weight, I highly recommend recycled shot.

Burglars would need to bring their cutting torches to enter them without my permission.

Several years ago, a local had his gun safe stolen. Owner had it bolted to the wall studs. Thieves borrowed a chain saw from the garage to cut the wall studs to free up the safe.

I think it's all a matter of cost/benefit balancing.

I go with the thought that most thieves are in-and-out artists that will grab what they can carry and spend no more than 10 minutes trying to find stuff. (And tear through the house with NO regard for the damage they cause.)

A safe is good. Bolting it down is good. Doing anything more, IMhO might not be cost effective.

If they're willing to take a chain saw to the wall and floor, well that's so unlikely that I don't think I'll plan for it. Although if I was really, really rich I'd have the hidden walk-in vault in my mansion secured by an ultra high-tech burglar alarms with the grounds patrolled by guard pumas.

Of real concern to me is my neighbors. I sometimes think a burglar could back the van up to my front door and go after the safe with sledge hammers, reciprocating saws, angle grinders and the like and it wouldn't be until the nitro blew out some of my windows that my neighbors would do anything.
"Gee Dale, thought you were just doing a home improvement project. Wouldn't want to intrude on your privacy don't ya know."

Actually the windows blowing out would probably confirm to the neighbors that I really WAS doing a home improvement project. Sigh.

Back