gun safe

Decent safe

Mutual makes some nice jewel vaults for about four grand.tl30. 3300 pounds -a real safe - considering a few good rifles cost more.

FFL Gun Safe

Purchase a genuine UL rated gun vault. Notice I did not say 'Safe', because a UL rated TL-15 and higher container are considered vaults and not safes. Anything without a UL rating is just not worth it, especially if you are going to be storing firearms and munitions. If you have done your research, you should have a REALLY good idea as to the average dollar value to be stored under your FFL License at any given time.

If you plan on keeping between $300-400,000 at any given time, you will need a
UL rated safe of TL-30 or higher.

If you intend to keep up to $800,000, you will need a TRTL-30x6, which is the highest rated commercial safe.

If you decide to go with a cheaper RSC container (like Liberty Safes) or even cheaper (like Stack-On), you might be able to get insurance, but it will cost you.
I'm not knocking these products nor am I saying they are junk, but you always get what you pay for.

With a UL rated vault, it will be easier to get insurance and your lower premiums will pay off the cost of the vault in a few years.

Don't forget to search for used UL rated vaults as banks, jewelry stores, etc., are
always going out of business and liquidate items. You might be able to pick up a 30 cu foot, 20 year old TL-30x6, which normally might run $20,000, for $5 grand delivered.

I have always believe Fort Knox to be the best safe on the market.
But, I am puzzle and disturbed by the requirements set by the local law enforcement agencies. Especially in Texas. :eek: Most gun shops do not, cannot, lock up their guns every night. This is very impractical. Do those agencies have the force of law behind them to make this demand? Sounds like they may be putting you out of business before you get in business.:(

Rifleman1776

Regarding your comment on Fort Knox safes being the best safes on the market:

I must strongly disagree with this statement. Fort Knox safes are at best, RSC rated and come nowhere near offering a level of security as any UL TL-15 or higher rated safe, period. I am not saying buying a Fort Knox safe is a waste of time, but here are the facts:

1) Fort Knox Legend 6637
1,769 lbs
90 minute 1680 degree fire rated
36 cubic feet storage
RSC rated: contents insurable up to $15,000 without burglar alarm, $30,000 with
Cost: $11,000

2) AMSEC CF7236 (the safe I own)
4,546 lbs
90 minute 1850 degree fire rated
34.5 cubic feet storage
TL-30 UL rating: contents insurable up to $195,000 & $375,000 with alarm
Cost: $9,700 (I purchased mine for $5,800 locally, installed)

So, WHY would anyone pay thousands more for a gun safe/valuables safe, that is fire rated 170 degrees lower at 90 minutes, only has 1.6 cubic feet storage more, weighs 2,777 lbs less and most importantly, you can only insure the contents up to $30,000, IF your insurance company approves your alarm?

My safe cost much less than a Fort Knox safe, is a tank as opposed to a personnel carrier, has about the same storage and fire rating (I won't split hairs), but most importantly, I DO have the contents of my safe insured by my homeowners insurance up to $225,000 as I do not have an alarm, but I do have the safe in a steel tornado shelter and it is bolted thrice to the concrete floor.

Do not get caught up on fancy terms, glossy doors, advertising hype and so forth. Go by UL ratings only. There is a reason UL ratings are internationally recognized by insurance companies and these safes are worth the extra weight.

So, as in my case, and again, I am not saying Fort Knox is a bad product, they actually make very nice safes, but which of these two examples are you going to be happier with if security and insuring your valuables are the ONLY 2 reasons you purchase a safe/gun safe?

Me: I would rather pay thousands less and have over 18 times more insurance on what I store in the safe. Simple math.

Cannon safe from home depot, $1,000, no tax and free shipping. It holds 24 long guns and ~500 lbs, but I do have it bolted down. I have it configured for 12 long guns on one side AT on the door and stuff on the other side....love it.

Speaking of safes, I thought I would share an experience of mine. I was a rough framing carpenter for about 5 years working for a company that mainly built big fancy homes for "rich" people. One of the houses I remember was being built for a guy who had a size able collection of firearms. Adjacent to his vaulted ceiling trophy room was his walk in vault. I remember helping carry the vault door in off the truck when it arrived. It weighed a buttload and as I recall someone quoted a $2,000 price tag. I could never figure out why he would spend all that on the door when the walls of the "vault" were framed with nothing but 2x4s 16" on center and covered with drywall. You could punch through the stud cavities and walk right through.

I currently have the stackon gun cabnet i know i know not very good. But at this point, it was either that or nothing. But saving up this summer for somthing a little more substantial. any recemendations perf. somthing in the like 600-800$ range. and holds more then the 12 guns that stackon does.

Back