Gun safe in child's room - Rob Pincus

A Kids room is their little universe of control... if you want a kid to think about something, put it in their room. If you want a kid to talk, text, blog, chat about something, put it in their room. If you want every kid who ever enters that room to talk, text, blog, think, chat about or mess with something, put it in there. If you don't like those possibilities, don't do it.

Agree with FireForged... if you put it in the kids room and don't tell them, they will find it and a picture of it will probably be on facebook 30 seconds later. If you do tell them about it, they're still very likely to tell their friends about it (who will tell their friends, who will tell their friends...), and if your kid likes a challenge they might make it their personal mission to find out what's in the safe.

Tactically the idea is reasonable, but I don't see any way to execute it well. And it's just foolish to huff and puff and act like the anti's don't have some valid concerns here.

Well, some inventive type is going to have to create a safe that's really a trap. And this safe/trap is only installed in the kids' bedroom. Then the interloper goes to steal guns and is trapped in the safe/trap, or else the interloper is wary of going into a safe in the kids' bedroom as it might just be a trap - he just doesn't know.

If you install it correctly and don't give them the code it will be safe for... a weekend. I figure that is how long a 12 year old will take to enter the 10,000 code possibilities on a 4 digit safe.

False air intake with a safe behind it. Generally a bad idea IMO though. I took everything in my parents house apart. I even got the majority of it back together before they returned home.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

No matter how religious you are about having a gun within arms reach, every once in a while you may not and if you have the extra gun and a safe why not?

It doesn't have to be a huge safe either. One of those $100 ones would be fine.

I was at one of the seminars at which Pincus recommended putting a quick-access safe in a child's room. His reasoning was in essence that if you stage a firearm in a quick-access safe in the child's room, then you don't have to choose between: (a) running to your child's room; and (b) running to your gun. It could very well be that a and b are in opposite directions from where you are when things go sideways.

I think some people are thinking about safes in the wrong context.

Fort Knox Pistol

At 9" x 5" x 12" It's not going to take up much room in a closet.

Yeah. Rob isn't saying you need a 36 gun safe in the closet. Wouldn't hurt if you could but a quick access safe to hold 1-2 pistols would suffice.

I stand by my original opinion.

Ike

Whats interesting here is no one here has actually admitted to doing it. In my case it would be going in a room with a barely toddler age child. No worries about telling friends, curiosity, etc. Simply put it high enough in the closet.

Obviously it depends on the age of the kid, but something up high and discrete wouldn't be all that intrusive.
I'd agree that it wouldn't be a great idea to have something they could potentially get into when they're at that exploratory age, but I think some of you are underestimating how disinterested kids can be too. If it's not presented as something exciting and it's been there for awhile, it would probably just fade into the background.
But, regardless, I would think you'd want a more child proof lock than the traditional 4-wheel luggage lock. Something with a fingerprint scanner that you could wire into the the house would be about ideal.

I do get why people are uneasy about the idea though. Kids getting a hold of guns and unintentionally shooting themselves or their friends is a pretty regular occurrence. So, keeping a gun in your kids room does - at face value - seem kind of like tempting fate. There are safe ways it could be managed, but it flies in the face of the basic "keep away from children" mantra.

If it's not presented as something exciting and it's been there for awhile, it would probably just fade into the background.
Put a box in front of anyone and eventually they will want to know what's inside of it. That's human nature.

you could show them.
I've never been big on keeping things secret from kids.
My kid knows what guns are, and knows not to touch them. He doesn't own toys that look like guns.
I'm not saying I'm going to do it, but I'd think you could show them what goes in the safe, tell them it was stuff for emergencies, lock it, and tell them not to tell their friends or get into it on their own.
Like Rob said, if you can't trust your kids not to break into a safe you keep in their room, you can't trust them not to break into a safe you keep in yours - and you probably have bigger issues than that.

Isn't he a spokesman for Gunvault and isn't that one of their products on display?

I keep my home defense handgun in a quick access handgun safe mounted to my bed frame. If I am awake, I have at least my P3AT in my pocket or my G26 on my hip.

I don't really see the need for staging guns in my home.

I see where Rob is coming from, and I understand it. But I believe (if you're reading this Rob, please correct me if I'm wrong) you are an advocate of carrying in the house. I carry when I'm home. The only times I don't have a gun physically on me are 1) When I'm asleep, 2) When I'm changing clothes, 3) When I'm taking a shower. And in all of those circumstances, there is a gun within arms reach.

If you want to make sure you have a gun where you can get it, the best, and most secure place is on you. The kids can't get to it, a bad guy can't stumble upon it or find it, and it's within reach no matter where you are. Even with some of the drawbacks of carrying all the time, it seems like this is the best option.

I'm with the people who say that those electronic handguns safes aren't a good way to keep kids away. There's video online of a 3 or 4 year old getting into them without even using the code. Some have a simple mechanism that will fail if the safe is dropped a couple inches, or even struck hard enough. Others have holes in the side where a straightened paper clip (with a hook or something on the end) can be inserted and the locking mechanism can be accessed. If a 4 year old can do it, imagine what a 12 year old can do?

Of course, there are some safes that are nearly impossible to get into without punching in the code, but why risk it? Keep a gun on you. Keep the rest in your primary safe. Easiest/quickest access, most secure.

Of course, there are some safes that are nearly impossible to get into without punching in the code, but why risk it? Keep a gun on you. Keep the rest in your primary safe. Easiest/quickest access, most secure.

This may be the best option, but it's not something everyone is willing to do.

A quality safe is a good 2nd option. in those cases.

This may be the best option, but it's not something everyone is willing to do.

With great power comes great responsibility. Guns provide an individual with great power. Too many people take it for granted. I respect Rob Pincus very much, and have learned a lot from his videos, but if it comes between keeping a loaded firearm (locked up even) in my kids room, or keeping it on myself, and all the others in the "big safe" that's a no brainer. I'll keep it on me. Why? Because having a gun for HD is an incredible responsibility. Kids are WAY smarter than we give them credit. If they want in that safe, they'll get in. Then guess who's responsibility it is if something happens? No thank you. It's not a burden to have a gun on me all the time.

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea. I'm not walking around the house armed all the time if for no other reason that there is going to be a grabby toddler around. While this might be a golden opportunity to practice gun retention I don't think it's a good idea for me. If I get cornered in his room having a way to defend all of us is highly appealing

Back