Gun Safe Advice Needed

I have a 12 gun safe that cost about $1,000.00. I have a small enclave in my hall that the safe fits in perfectly so you can't get to the sides of it, and it's bolted to the floor.It also has the dial lock,I don't trust the elctronic ones,my buddy had a problem with his. And ya... I should have gotten a bigger one,cause it's overflowing now! lol

I paid $350 month ago for a Stackon 16 gun safe (bought at Dick's), regularly $400 on sale, mechanical lock, weights 200 lbs. Bolted to wall studs with many 3" long size 12 screws, its going to take thousands of pounds of force to remove it. It takes a long breaker bar to have enough force to screw these large screws all the way into the studs when mounting.

If I couldn't place it flush with the wall (baseboards moldings would prevent this for instance), then slide a thin wood board behind the safe between safe and wall before screwing it to the wall. This also prevents crowbars between wall and safe.

I just put my STURDY SAFE into its new home. I couldn't be happier. I got the 6 ft high safe, 4 gauge walls, insulated with 2300F fire insulation (not that crappy drywall), interior liner. It weighs about 1100 pounds. VERY nicely made! The quality of welding is FAR superior to any other gun safe I looked at--especially that Chinese garbage that so many "name brand" companies use. STURDY SAFES are made in the USA from all-American materials. I didn't buy it just because it's American-made, though. Its quality is obviously superior to others and competitive or lower prices than the "name brands". I was surprised at how fast it arrived, especially in the unusually severe winter weather we have been having this year. I was also impressed with how well the safe was secured on the pallet and how well it was padded. No scratches, dings, nothing--it arrived in as good a condition as it left the factory. The instructions for setting a new combination, etc. were very clear. I especially appreciated the short videos on STURDY SAFE's web site, which show you how to do small things (like how easy it is to get an 1100 pound safe off the pallet, etc.). Here's one strong vote for STURDY SAFE!

I agree with FAS1. I have a 12 gun locker (I wouldn't call it a safe) that is secured to the wall studs and anchored to the concrete floor. It is also hidden behind a false panel. My home defense pistol is in an electronic keypad lockbox (in case the grandkids visit) in my nightstand. I have a fire resistant document box, inside a Pelikan case to protect against water and smoke, hidden in a storage area. I didn't buy the case for that purpose, I already had it. Finally, my guns are insured through my NRA protection program, instead of an additional rider on my homeowners insurance.

Double/triple your budget, or lower your expectations, or be patient and shop on the used market like Craigslist, and have cash and a truck/lift ready to go get it immediately...

It's like most other products - there is junk entry product, then there's the "sweet spot" product for about twice what the junk costs, and then there's extravagance. Consider a functional self defense handgun. $200 is typically junk. $400-600 is the "sweet spot." And $1000 is typically extravagance. Same with a formidable safe.

Thick steel is not cheap. Hardened locks are not cheap. Shipping is not cheap. Quality fire proofing is not cheap. Expect to spend $1500+ on a quality safe.

Thems the facts.

I also agree, buy larger than you think you need because you will quickly grow into it. It's nice to be able to put things like your laptop or electronics or other valuables in it when you go out of town for the night too.

Guns, coins, jewelry, ammo (which has become quite expensive), magazines (also quite expensive), electronics, documents, etc.

I have Sturdy Safes and am very happy. I've raved about them many times, you can find those links if you do some research on this topic, which comes up every week on forums.

Last edited:
Fas1's comment was where I was going too. I would recommend a mechanical lock safe at night stand that wouldn't fail if intruder cuts electricity outside home (step 1 in intruder playbook) or the battery dies when you think it's fine. You could then keep everything else in a large digital lock safe elsewhere. If you're after a 6 gun, then buy a 24 gun safe, or larger, budget permitting. You don't want to buy then in two years have to have other one moved out and new, larger one delivered in its place (like 95% of us have done I imagine).

Stackon makes very economical safes with fire and water protection in $7-800 range to get you started. With that said, for $9-1000, get a Browning safe that has the rifle/shotgun holders in door to triple your space. I so wish that would have been out when I got my safes. That way, you may store paperwork and handguns in shelves at back of safe, using front for long guns. Most safes that don't have this concept waste the first 8-10 inches of safe from top to bottom, side to side.

Back