Gun Room

I'm not trying to make it Fort Knox, I have the opportunity to have a room in a new to us house, not sure if finished basement or not, still looking at houses. I would like a vault door so I won't have to have huge safe downstairs, I want to be able to sit in the room and reload or watch games and be able to see my guns on the wall and not in a safe. I want to make the walls more secure than just drywall and was just wondering what others opinions and what they did to get ideas. I know giving the right criminal they can get into anything, picking a lock or a crowbar.

Even concrete block is no match for a man with a sledgehammer. Hit in between the webs of the block and you can have a man sized hole in roughly 5 minutes. If you are going to use cement blocks fill in the hollow parts with concrete. THAT, creates a virtually unbreechable wall with normal hand tools.

Honestly in my mind even if you have a gun room you should probably have a gun safe or safes in the room for added security.

Put in your good steel security door, alarm system, etc. For the walls, just sheath over what you now have with the new Lexan-ply drywall, finish the surface to taste, and you're good to go. You'll need to move your receptacles outward to take up the slack, or add box extensions.

Completely seal the exterior window, remove it and reside the exterior. That's your weak point, deal with it.

For the exterior walls, outside the house, put in some bollards or stones to prevent vehicular breach, if that's a concern.

Main thing to do is, keep your big mouth shut and do not show off your new pride and joy except to trusted individuals. There's a lot less of them out there than you think, some folks just like to blab. That's your other weak point, deal with that and the window, you should be good to go.

Peggysue? Only a room?

Peggysue:

Dang, only one room. I was starting to get the impression you had a gun house. :-)

I've been thinking about putting all my gun stuff in the "lockable" man cave. Not so much for protection from theft, but from keeping "curious" grandkids out. All my fire arms are in relatively cheap safes, also to keep them out of kids hands and those safes are in my tool, workbench, storage room that doesn't have a door. My loading stuff is in another room that does have a door I could lock. My ammo is in a locked cabinet in the loading room. May move the gun safes to that room too, which, I suppose makes it a gun room, but then everything is still in safes. Ah well . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young

I'm just finishing a detached shop and pondering subdidiving and having a "secure room for my reloading stuff and maybe a few "inexpensive" firearms since my safe is getting full. Would installing steel mesh panels along the walls help? I noticed a pile of them the other day at the local big box hardware store. They appear to be 1/4 inch rebar welded together in 4 X 8 sheets. Roughly 6 inch squares. I was thinking of lining the wall studs with them and then covering with plywood. (??)

Back