Gun Registration - sort of

The prosecutor told the jury that all an honest person had to do was call the local police to ask whether that firearm had been reported as stolen.

Well, if the prosecutor is right, all an honest person has to do is call the police and ask if the gun is reported stolen, could anyone cite the law requiring an honest citizen to do this?

Sounds like the prosecutor was implying that the accused didn't make such a call, because he knew or suspected the firearm was stolen. IF there is no law, requiring such a call, then not making it is not a crime or an omission of any sort and the prosecutor is posturing, and yes, essentially lying.

THis reminds me of something Mas Ayoob said a long time back (and I'm sure he's not the only one who ever said it)

In court, those people giving testimony (on the stand) are under oath to tell the truth....the prosecutor is not!

Well, if the prosecutor is right, all an honest person has to do is call the police and ask if the gun is reported stolen, could anyone cite the law requiring an honest citizen to do this?

Which state? It would have to be one that has barred private party sales.

More to the point, though -- from what I've read, in most police departments the officers and staff are only allowed to use the police computers to access information in connection with police cases. If a private party calls up and asks if a gun he/she is looking to buy is stolen,, many jurisdictions will refuse to offer any assistance because it's not a request that's connected to a police case.

Maybe. There are good reasons for doing that as well. It could well be the person who stole the gun is trying to figure out if it was reported stolen. If I were a criminal and that were an option that is what I would do. If it were never reported stolen or reported improperly, (often because people keep no record of their firearm serial number) than he can take it to any pawn shop in another city and sell it.

If he shows up at the pawn shop with ID and there being cameras there he will be up the creek.

The only thing consistent about police agencies is that they are inconsistent.

MTT TL said:
Which state? It would have to be one that has barred private party sales.

This was Ohio, which does not bar private sales.

My point in response to Pathfinder45 is that some hypervigilance may be useful if your problem gets to a jury.

Last edited:
Back