Gun or Glasses?

My solid core front door was kicked in with a single kick. Dead bolt and all. Seems the door is hyper strong but the jam is like wet newspaper. Be cautions about doors vs human males.

At 14 years old I was chasing my brother. He ran into his bedroom and locked the door. I put my shoulder into the door at close to full speed and it exploded open. Caused maybe a 2 second delay. Again the frame broke but the door also broke being a hollow core door.

If your eyes are that bad you need your glasses to identify the threat and aim. I can hear it in the court room now:

Prosecutor: "Why did you shoot him?"
You: "He had a knife in his hand and raised it, I thought he was
going to attack me."
Att. : "You are blind as a bat without your glasses, how do we know
he wasn't raising his hands to surrender and you put the
knife there later?"

Don't trust your freedom to a prosecutor, take out every variable possible.

If your glasses are as thick as Curly's I would have to say yes please put them on. It would really suck if you shot the closet door.:eek:

You must be able to identify a threat. If you need glasses to do so; then glasses before gun.

Being able to identify a threat is a good reason to have a tactical flashlight and know how to use it correctly. If you can't identify a threat positively because it is too dark; what do you do?

Interesting how some can view situations so differently.

In many home invasion robberies, a home owner may be lucky if he/she have time to get to their gun.

But some of us have a home invasion scenario already solidified in our heads.

Bubba and his friends break in. You put on your glasses, then reach for your gun and then flashlight so you can clearly see the home invaders as they crash thru your bedroom door.

Call me simple, but it's kind of obvious that you put your glasses on if you HAVE TIME. And that you'd reach for your GUN if you don't. Good luck with the theory that you'll have the option to put on glasses first.

Just my thoughts on the matter.:cool:

The last time I thought someone was breaking into the house (they were breaking into the vacant home next door) I had my gun in my hand before I was fully awake and was already reaching for the flashlight. There was no conscious decision about what I would grab first.

Since I only wear my glasses for driving or watching a movie in the theaters it wasn't a problem.

If your eyes are that bad you need your glasses to identify the threat and aim. I can hear it in the court room now:

Prosecutor: "Why did you shoot him?"
You: "He had a knife in his hand and raised it, I thought he was
going to attack me."
Att. : "You are blind as a bat without your glasses, how do we know
he wasn't raising his hands to surrender and you put the
knife there later?"

Don't trust your freedom to a prosecutor, take out every variable possible.

That's a rather sobering post, to be sure. But some folks' situation is rather bad in this regard. To take an example, I live alone in a townhouse. If there's anyone blasting into my house late at night, it isn't a friend, and he can be upon me in seconds - very few seconds. I'm blind as a bat, but if truly, really, absolutely confronted with the choice of glasses or gun, I'm going for the gun, and praying dear God, let me choose wisely! I can presume from the layout of my house that if he's right on me, he's a bad guy. Oh, and my son knows better than to try this! ;)

Back