Gun or Ammo Problem?

I've known a bunch of people who put lots of "magnum" ammo through M29s and never had a problem. Then too, I've met a number of folks (mostly silhouette shooters) who don't swear by but at the M29. Something always seemed to be wrong here.

A few years back I got an idea what the difference might just be. Elmer's favorite load was 22g of 2400 behind Lyman's 429421 cast bullet (old style). This was ignited by a "standard" Large Pistol primer. I have learned from several old pistol shooters of my acquaintance that this reduces the pressure considerably and reduces damage to the M29. One serious handloader told me that Elmer's load is lower in pressure than the factory 240g loads.

Since S&W designed the M29 around Kieth's experiements and this loa it may well explain why the thumper loads, so popular in these days of .454s, 480s and .475s, beat up a M29 (applies to the 629 as well). Those N-Frame Smiths just weren't designed for that kind of load. Remember, Kieth just wanted a 44 Special loaded up to what he felt was its potential. He wasn't trying to make "...the most powerful handgun in the world."

Back