Gun oil, available in stores

Does in store availability for oil/cleaner matter?

• Yes, I want be able to walk into a store and buy my product.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No, I don't mind having to order my product.

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really hadn’t considered long term storage. I was thinking along the lines of actually firing and manipulating the gun.
Most people add lubricant after X amount of rounds, probably more than needed which isn’t particularly harmful.
I found out on my own that a viscous oil in the firing pin channel can slow it down enough to cause the weapon not to fire.
If I were to place guns into long term storage, I would need to be more careful in my selection of treatments.

Aguila Blanca said:
Why do you believe that detergent additives in motor oil are bad for firearms?

He said he didn't want it to contact his skin, which I certainly understand.

For the longest time, my local shops didn't provide the stuff I use. Thankfully, one does, now. I'm very picky on what I use on my own firearms even though most solvents/oils/greases carried by the Big Box stores will do just fine to get you by until you get home with little or no accelerated wear.

A bit off topic perhaps. What's the deal with the recent trend of running guns wetted with lube? I still sparingly lube my guns, including ARs. I don't see any problems at all. I realize the aluminum - steel interfaces will need more, so I lube those points more frequently. But it is always sparing, never dripping wet.

BTW, one AR has shot over 1k rounds without cleaning, other than the sparing lube with CLP. No problem.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Might be due to a couple decades back when at least one of the major (winning) competition pistol shooters was interviewed and told how he ran his match guns "wet",,, in other words very oily just short of the point where he got oil on his hands making them slippery when shooting.

Personally, I tend to let mine run on the "dry" side, my main reasons being I live in a dusty place, and (for sporting use) low lube amounts tell me where the gun will stop working right. IN other words, if one of my guns starts to choke due to lack of lube, that gives me the minimum amount to keep it lubed for proper operation.

Additionally, I've had a bit of experience with guns in very cold places, and in those conditions, no oil is better than the wrong oil for the temps.

One place often overlooked is the firing pin and channel. Nothing quite like firing a bolt gun in sub zero and seeing the striker SLOOOWLY creep forward resulting in no shot when you wanted/needed one.

A bit off topic perhaps. What's the deal with the recent trend of running guns wetted with lube?

Keeps the crud in suspension making cleaning easier and faster. For a range gun, shot a lot, it's a decent methodology.

For most uses, I just have 3 in 1 oil on hand. On the ARs I use the Slip 2000EWL lube, and keep them somewhat wet.

Last year, I gave an old 22 to the neighbor’s kid. It was a very old Stevens 87D with a sometimes ejection problem. I had tried to fix the problem for many years, but could not do it. I explained that to the kid and his Dad, so they’d know. Before they left my workshop, I stripped down the action, cleaned it and lubed it up with the Slip2000EWL. Later I asked if they’d had any jams, and they had not. Ran a bunch of 22 ammo through it with no problems. That Slip2000EWL is some slippery stuff.

Some years back, i got a Stoeger .22 Luger at a shop for a good price, well below average. They had used the gun as a range gun and said it constantly jammed, so they were selling it at a mark down.

I took it, and sure enough, it jammed several times on the first magazine. Then, I OILED IT. After that it ran flawlessly. :D

Nothing special, would have been Rem oil or something generic like that. Point here was the proper amount of lube "fixed" it.

I watched a youtube video of a guy that replaced his lawnmower oil with bacon grease and as I recall it ran for 45 minutes before he finally turned it off. Now I don't suggest using bacon grease as a gun lubricant, but it got me to thinking how many different oils and greases I have used over the years and never had a problem with any of them. I like Ballistol because supposedly it's safe......But bacon grease does taste better.

I would worry about the salts in bacon grease. Lard on the other hand....

A can of WD 40 or Ballistol is a handy thing to have.
Not necessarily the best at cleaning or lubrication, but they will do both in a pinch, until you get home.

Back