Gun of the Century

Well just before Christmas I went to my local Books-A-Million and was looking through the magazine rack and came across the gun mags. So I picked one up(Can't remember what it was Guns&Ammo, American Handgunner, Guns, something like that)But I saw that it had Gun of the Century on it, so I looked up the page and low and behold it was The Glock 17. Me being a Glock fan was VERY impressed. But I was just wondering what would y'all pick 4 gun of the century?

------------------
Trespassers Will Be Shot
Survivors Will Be Shot Again

I'd say the Colt 1911 certainly made it's mark- unless it is disqualified by it's patent date(1898?). Then I'd say the S&W model 19.

Tho I'm not a big fan of the SA, the gun of the century has to be the 1911, followed by the whole family of S&W revolvers and then the Glocks.

------------------
ff ...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make.

".. and the winner for most advertising revenue generated for a gun magazine this century is... "

View

Mikey

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited January 04, 2000).]

I'd vote for the M1 Garand, myself.

Didn't Patton call it the "greatest warfighting machine ever developed", or something like that?

Second vote would be for the 1911.

Everything else would be well back of those two.

Well, since this is a pistol thread, I'd say either the Walther P-38 or the 1911 series. The Walther because it is the prototype for every DA/SA pistol to come and the 1911 for length of service and popularity (probably due in no small part to the length of service).

Well I love the 1911. Have a few of them. But they were made in the late 1890s, so you can't count it.. I have to say Glock 17. Lets face it.. It has completely changed the way Guns were made and looked at.

The gun of the century has to be the Colt Model 1911. Basically, the same design and still going strong after 80 years. We will have to wait and see if the Glock 17 will have the same reputation after 80 years.

Greetings, My vote for gun of the century
would be the Sig-Sauer P220A in .45ACP.

------------------
Ala Dan

I'd vote for the 1911. John Browninig was a genius; almost all the auto pistols that have come along since then have been copies, to some degree, of the 1911. The basic idea of a retractable slide covering a non-fixed barrel was his, and this is the pattern that most autoloaders follow. As someone once said, "There's guns designed by John Browning, then there's everything else."
The Garand would run a close second.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

M1911. We will see if the Glock has the staying power of the M1911.

------------------
Give me Liberty, or Give me Foodstamps!

Since it is the gun of the century, I would think that it would have to be the 1911. It has been around for the whole thing. Carried in war after war. Used for everything from competition to carry. Designed by the greatest gun designer who ever lived. It has many forms, from a compact carry gun to an ultra high capacity race gun, they are all basically 1911's. The glock is nice and all, but in the grand history of the handgun, it has a long way to go to eclipse the 1911. No offense intended glock fans, I think glocks are great, but for the whole century, it just has to be the 1911.

What was that thing called - the Gyro Jet? I know it wasn't accurate at all, but I have to give 'em credit for trying something totally new that shot little self-propelled rockets.

Back