Gun manufacturers that care about gun owners from liberal states

Rereading it I think what you’re saying in the second paragraph is the percentage of Americans that live in CA is significant, so excluding that market is a bad business decision. I agree.

I’m not trying to be difficult on the first paragraph. I really can’t figure out what you’re saying, specifically this:

Lucky Gunner CEO is a state school board member. Right to be a candidate by education, the subject of the position? Zero.

Edit: Okay, I read it a half dozen more times. Originally it read as if you were saying it’s right for him to be a candidate based on his education, which is why I was confused by the “zero” comment. I think what you’re saying is his right to be a candidate on the state school board based on his education level is zero. That makes more sense. I’m not sure what that has to do with Lucky Gunner not shipping to CA. I guess you’re pointing out that even purportedly pro-gun people won’t help out the people of CA?

Side note: looks like he has a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration. Do most school board members have a teaching degree?

Last edited:
Glock. They currently offer 10 round magazine variants of every pistol still in production and at a reasonable MSRP ($30). If the G43x wasn't a tip of the hat to restricted states, I don't know what is.

Not a Glock fanboy by any means but most manufacturers don't bother producing 10 round magazines for legacy guns in any real capacity.

I did a quick wikipedia calculation. All the states that currently have 10 round limits adds to about 95 million. Total US population is 334 million. That means about 28% live in restricted states that limit to 10 round. I'm not counting states that limit 15 rounds or taking into consideration grandfathering.

That means about 28% live in restricted states that limit to 10 round.

And that number is relevant, how??

Ok, fine 28% of the total population live in restricted states. How do you correlate that with the percentage of gun buying people, and the even smaller subset that is interested in pistols with more than 10rnd capacity??

My point is, that of that 28% of the general population, what percentages of that number are potential buyers of handguns holding more than 10 rounds??

First, remove all those under 21. Then remove all the prohibited persons. Then remove all the others that simply have no interest or intent to buy a firearm. Note that the number keeps shrinking and shrinking.

Further reducing the numbers (and the profit for gunmakers) is, once you finally have a number for those people who could buy a hi cap pistol, if allowed, you need to figure some way to quantify the number of people who would, if they were allowed, and then break that down even further for each maker of each model pistol into what percentage of the people will buy their product, and not their competitors pistols.

Even in a state with a massive base population, the number of people who would be buying your pistol (If it were legal) isn't all that large.

SO, I find that simply stating how many people live in the restricted states to be a meaningless number, regarding the loss of business for those companies that decide not to do business in those states.

Why don't you tell us what is wrong with reducing magazine capacity by dimpling the mag bodies? Trying to convert the mags to single stack would be expensive and frankly, stupid.

Every “dimpled” magazine I got stuck with in AWB 1994-2004 was also “lanced”. Drilling out the dimples would cause the magazine to fall apart.
Magazine restrictions had to be approved by BATF as not “readily convertible.”
The trend was to over-restrict, lots of “9 1/2” round mags or magazines that will hold ten but with no slack to let them be inserted under a closed slide.
I have a couple of 9 round AR magazines.

Not a Glock fanboy by any means but most manufacturers don't bother producing 10 round magazines for legacy guns in any real capacity.

What? A number of manufacturers produce 10 rd magazines. Once again, the CA roster is searchable, by manufacturer even. Anyone here can look at it.

I’m not sure why we are speculating on whether it makes sense for a gun manufacturer to do business in CA. Obviously a number of manufacturers have already decided it does, and some haven’t. I don’t think it’s a stretch to suggest that those manufacturers have a better idea of what makes business sense for them than those of us here, unless someone is claiming some insider knowledge.

Last edited:
I suspect “care” needs to be carefully defined as “making enough revenue from weapons/magazines specifically designed for those states to make a profit from those weapons/magazines.”

The question is whether people who are currently not buying weapons/magazines right now would buy weapons/magazines designed specifically for those states.

If someone is currently buying the crippled magazines, etc., then there may be no revenue benefit if they switch to magazines designed for those states - no net increase in revenue. They aren’t buying more magazines - just different magazines.

If people are willing to buy crippled magazines and those magazines don’t require additional investment in design testing over standard capacity magazines, specially designed magazines will probably not generated much in the way of addition revenue - while generating addition design/testing costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Walther P99 mag design is the true answer to the question, if dimple isn't wanted. I think the question doesn't actually have an answer though.

There just isn't a way to make a double stack gun a single stack. I mean there are, but not really.

After seeing the modifications done to “assault” rifle pistol grips (Barf) for some states I can see why some manufacturers don’t want to play those big brother games. Same states will be making your HEMI illegal before next.

I suspect “care” needs to be carefully defined as “making enough revenue from weapons/magazines specifically designed for those states to make a profit from those weapons/magazines.”

The question is whether people who are currently not buying weapons/magazines right now would buy weapons/magazines designed specifically for those states.

If someone is currently buying the crippled magazines, etc., then there may be no revenue benefit if they switch to magazines designed for those states - no net increase in revenue. They aren’t buying more magazines - just different magazines.

If people are willing to buy crippled magazines and those magazines don’t require additional investment in design testing over standard capacity magazines, specially designed magazines will probably not generated much in the way of addition revenue - while generating addition design/testing costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was around when the first magazine limitations went into effect and quite honestly I didn't make any difference in what I bought or carried. Today I try to make sure I have a ten round magazine for any pistol that takes higher capacity ones and regularly carry and practice with them. But I don't feel any less protected with a five round revolver than with an eighteen round Sig P226.

Talked to a friend today, who just got back from the local gunshop. Said he saw a very nice Browning HP there, with no magazine. The state 10 shot limit means the gun can't be sold with the original magazine, and the shop didn't have any 10 rounders to sell with the gun.

Price was $250,,, and it was sold right away.

Back