Gun IQ

Should a person with no gun knowledge, no understanding of basic gun safety, be allowed to have a gun? A car is also dangerous, therefore a driver must pass tests to determine his ability to operate one. However, I am unaware of any major movements to ban cars. Many states now require hunters to pass a course prior to getting their first license. Statistics seem to indicate that it has cut down on accidents. Concealed carry permits also require instruction in most jurisdictions. There are no such requirements for buying guns. Yes, there is a background check, but that proves nothing as far as gun IQ goes.

The comparison to cars brings up an interesting point. It is often pointed out that while cars are arguably as dangerous as guns, we licsense people to drive so why not licsense them to own a gun. The problem with that analogy is that guns are already more severely regulated than cars. Anyone can buy any type of car they can afford and operate it in any way they wish, they only need a licsense to operate it on a public road way. In addition to the fact that most states require some type of licsense to carry a gun in public, there are numerous regulations on who can buy a gun and what type of gun they can buy. Likewise many areas have regulations on how that gun can be used, be it on public property or private. Not that every gun law is a bad one, certain ones are quite sensible, but applying the same regulation as to cars would actually represent a significant amount of de-regulation.

While ensuring that a purchaser has at least a rudimentary knowledge of firearms wouldn't be a bad thing, the degree of regulation that would be neccessary to accomplish such a goal would be unacceptable. The first problem would be who gets to decide what level of knowledge is sufficient to own a firearm. A politician from rural Texas and one from Boston will probably have drastically different ideas of what constitutes a sufficient amount of knowledge, but one has just as good a chance as the other of being the one who decides. Secondly, just like anything else the government becomes involved in, the more stringent the regulation the more likely it is to be abused by the regulators. We've all heard about places where a CCL or NFA CLEO signoff is basically impossible to get without a good deal of money and/or political connections, it is not at all out of the realm of possibility that obtaining the right "credentials" to even own a firearm would devolve into a similar situation.

As Mike Irwin already noted, it is impossible to guarantee safety. There will always be evil people, crazy people, and plain old imbeciles that for whatever reason end up injuring or killing an innocent person. This has been going on throughout the history of man and even the most extreme attempts have been unable to stop it. As Mike pointed out, all you can really do is punish the evil/stupid/irresponsible people and take your chances.

The California gun safety certificate is good for 5 years, not the three years that was previously mentioned. There are many people here in California who are new to guns and have taken the handgun safety test after reading the testing material in preparation for taking the test. Also, here in California it is required that the new handgun owner be given and then repeat a manual handgun proficiency handling demonstation before he/she takes the gun home.

Also, here in California it is required that the new handgun owner be given and then repeat a manual handgun proficiency handling demonstation before he/she takes the gun home.
The last time I saw that test conducted, the gun store dude handed the buyer a snap cap and told him to place it in the revolver cylinder, then position the cylinder such that the round would be the next one fired. Guy got it wrong. Gun store dude asked him to repeat the test, bearing in mind the cylinder turns the opposite direction from the buyer's first guess. Guy gets it right, that was it, test over, take your gun home.

Given enough tries, I think I might pass that test. :)

This includes people, who if you'd asked them a year ago, would've told you they'd never consider owning a gun. They're a vocal bunch now, even if it's a little misguided.

Adding my noob voice to the chorus, that is true :) Although, I have already had several informal "instruction" on basic operation/handling by responsible gun aficionados, go to the range regularly, and plan on taking a 5 hour personal protection class this summer - and then take the CC class to get licensed.

Not all new gun owners are incapable of or uninterested in learning the basics of gun safety/operation quickly. Even though I am a total novice, my #1 priority was to seek out the advice of friends, family, gun shop owners, and message boards to build my knowledge :)

It is our responsibility as members of the gun community to make it "uncool" to be ignorant about or reckless in the handling of firearms. That is far more effective, in my opinion, than any law requiring a certain amount of gun know-how. My .02. We're collecting quite a bit of change as this threat progresses. :rolleyes:

Not all revolver cylinders rotate the same way, BTW :D

Even though I am a total novice, my #1 priority was to seek out the advice of friends, family, gun shop owners, and message boards to build my knowledge

Oh God! You're doomed! You'd be better off to stay ignorant!!

(Just kidding, I couldn't resist;))

Just consider

Should a person with no gun knowledge, no understanding of basic gun safety, be allowed to have a gun?
changed to read...
Should a person with no child knowledge, no understanding of basic child safety, be allowed to have children?

Kind of upsetting, that idea, isn't it? People all over would be screaming that you have NO RIGHT to decide for them about what they do in their lives!

And why would you believe you have the right to interfere with one decision, and not the other?

Bottom line: Do you believe that you (through the agencies of government) ought to restrict people's decisions based on fears of what they might do?
and how far should that power extend? Which decisions are you comfortable with letting people make on their own, without having to meet some arbitrary standard to prove to you (again through the angecies of government) that they should be allowed to choose their own destiny?

I say hands off. Run the risks, and if needful, pay the price. Nothing in this world is completely safe, not even the grave. Punish people for what they do, when it is wrong, but not before then.

re:44AMP

The government already decides which drugs are alright to use and which ones are not. Alcohol and nicotine fine, marijuana not so fine. Why base anti-marijuana laws on something that a person may or may not do under its influence?

The government dictates which words you may or may not utter at an airport. Why the worry over mere words?

I have news for you, the "man" already has a lot of say over our lives.

Although, I have already had several informal "instruction" on basic operation/handling by responsible gun aficionados, go to the range regularly, and plan on taking a 5 hour personal protection class this summer - and then take the CC class to get licensed.
Good for you! Welcome to the fold.

Now it's your duty to pass on what you've learned.

In my state (MD) they make you watch a video. Makes sense to me. Most guns are not too complicated; when I was a kid I messed around with a single-shot .22 with a neighbor kid. We never croaked anyone, though we might have drilled some holes where the adults wouldn't have approved.

Later at about 19 I got my hands on a 9mm auto owned by my future father-in-law. I had enough sense to remove the mag and cycle the action while pointing the thing in a safe direction. Seemed pretty intuitive at the time. (I should point out that my family was pretty anti; I had to pick up any info however I could. So far so good, after forty years as a gun owner).

Gun handling is not rocket science. Keeping guns out of the hands of fools, however, is probably impossible, given the speed at which they multiply.

Back