Gun in your car?

If I am traveling and want to carry a weapon I check the NRA web site for the gun laws in the states I will be traveling. South Carolina, for example, allows you to carry a loaded gun in your glove compartment, but North Carolina wants that gun to be in plain sight. So my suggestion is to plan your trip and check the laws.

To ALL: No offence meant and none taken.

Last time I checked we are all friends here. Nothing wrong with a few differering opinions. It is what makes places like TFL interesting in the first place. Besides, the world would be a boring place if we were all alike.

ninja92 brings up a good point ( I forgot about the site ). The NRA and other groups post pages describing the gun laws for each state. They are an excellent source for information, however, laws do change rather quickly in some areas so check the post dates.

------------------
You are... What you do... When it counts.
The Masao

[This message has been edited by shades6848 (edited September 26, 1999).]

general question in most situations would it be leagle for me to keep a rifle\shotgun in a zipperd soft case in my trunk and were would ammo have to be

zip:
Can't comment on your State. In Ohio, ammo would have to be in a seperate closed container. Gun is to be in a spot inaccessable from the driver or passenger compartment. If that is not possible (pickup truck for example), gun must be in plain view with action open, and ammo must be in a closed, and prefferably locked container. Bottom line is that transport is always at the discresion of the "Constable"(How's that for PC?). Loaded magazines, locked up or not, are considered a loaded concealed weapon,,, sometimes,,,sometimes not. Again, bottom line, if you have a loaded magazine, locked in a briefcase, locked in your trunk and you are a jerk in the eyes of the "Constable", you go to jail charged with a class "C" felony. Side note as this is hunting season: A strung bow is also considered a concealed loaded weapon for "tax collection and bargining chip" purposes, however it is transported, again,,,,sometimes,,,sometimes not. Depends on your attitude and profile. A concealed loaded weapon is always classed as a felony. Unloaded weapons are classed as misdemeanors.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net

zip, in GA you can transport the rifle or shotgun where ever you wish as long as it is unloaded. The DNR ( rabbit police...THIS IS A JOKE ) will be looking for loaded weapons like that during hunting season. They might think you were hunting from your vehicle. As a safety precaution, I would not carry loaded long guns in my vehicle due to the serious nature of the results of an accident.
If you are going hunting, good luck, and be safe.

------------------
You are... What you do... When it counts.
The Masao

shades thanks this takes care of my question perfictly since i live in GA and love it also thank you to everyone elese for there answers

I would like to throw in my experience:

While stationed in MD I traveled I-95 regularly going to and from home in FL. I bought a Beretta 92F and decided to carry it in the car (for road-side protection). I asked around, and the best I was told was "two steps". So, step one, in the glove box. Step two, unloaded (although mag was readily accessible).
Anyhoo, I'm driving my IROC (pull me over please) car, and sure enough, get stopped in SC or NC, can't remember which. Now, somehow, the trooper is able to detect something funny. Cause after I give him my license and registration, he asks me to get out of the car. We go to the back of my car and he asks me where's the gun. Holy crap, how the hell could he tell? Well, I told him, explaining that this was how I was instructed to carry it. Now, maybe being in the Army helped, maybe it was the honesty factor. But, he simply instructed me that it has to be in the trunk. So we watched me put it there, wrote me a nice speeding ticket and I was on my way.

Moral of the story: I think there were two factors involved in my incedent. 1) Officer was friendly, courteous and helpfull. 2) I was friendly, courteous and helpfull (okay, scared sh**less too). Sure there are some bad cops out there, but I think most are simply trying to enforce the law and come home alive at the end of the day.

LL

North Carolina is a tricky state. Many thousands of acres in the western counties are owned by the federal government under management by the TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority.) The TVA has its own police force (de facto federal police), and they have different expectations as to how they want civilians to secure firearms in vehicles. Specifically, DO NOT have the weapon in plain view, even if you do have a CCW permit. I know this because my CCW instructor in NC (Cherokee County) was then an active law enforcement agent with TVA.

To complicate things, the Great Smokies National Park is run by the National Park Service, with their own expectations.

BUT, I would rather be pulled over by a member of either of these agencies than a member of the NCHP on I-95 in the eastern part of the state. "You in a heap o' trouble, boy" is the greeting you can expect from the latter, no matter the infraction.

------------------
In Fine Regemus
(In the End We Shall Reign)

Back